John Flaherty Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Flaherty Retires

The Boston Globe is reporting that catcher John Flaherty, the candidate most likely to replace Doug Mirabelli as Tim Wakefield's regular battery mate, has retired from profession baseball. Flaherty, who started his career in the bigs with the Red Sox (1992-1993), had spent the last three seasons as Jorge Posada's back-up for the NY Yankees. His departure leaves the 2nd slot behind the plate wide open.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Wow, didn't see that one coming...but wish Flaherty luck in whatever is next for him!

I'd imagine this makes Josh Bard the favorite for the backup catchers job, although they do have Ken Huckaby in camp, as well.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

I'm surprised by this, too. Good luck, John.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Surprising. Defensively, he was a still a very good catcher, and he has shown in the past few years the ability to come through in needed situations. That being said, his bat seemed pretty much dead last year, and as a Yankee fan, I was thinking that Girardi or Torre would do better.

Comment

Josh Bard will probably be our opening day back-up catcher? With Flaherty retiring and Shoppach gone, he's the only catcher to come to mind to replace him. I guess the rest of the Spring Training for him would be used getting use to Wakefield and being his catcher.

Comment

Bard is inexperienced and is probably better off in Pawtucket for the start of the season.

They do have another guy in camp trying to make the roster that should get a good look- Ken Huckaby. He's got the most experience among the contenders for the backup spot, having been in 153 games over the past five seasons with a high of 88 in 2002. I'd rather have him on the team catching Wakefield until Bard is experienced enough.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
              Bard is inexperienced and is probably better off in Pawtucket for the start of the season.

They do have another guy in camp trying to make the roster that should get a good look- Ken Huckaby. He's got the most experience among the contenders for the backup spot, having been in 153 games over the past five seasons with a high of 88 in 2002. I'd rather have him on the team catching Wakefield until Bard is experienced enough.
              Well, Huckaby has 153 career games over the last 5 years, but Bard has pretty much the same....156 career games, with 149 games caught. His season high is 91. Both have below league average FP, but I haven't seen either catch enough to really know how they handle themselves behind the plate.

I think Bard is the favorite because he's healthy...Huckaby hasn't caught an inning at all this spring due to a injury (knee, I believe).

If he gets healthy and ready to catch, he might make the squad, but right now, Bard has got to the favorite.

Other options are that the Sox make a move for a backup catcher, or Varitek catches Wakefield and a backup either catches all of anohter pitchers games, or just spells Varitek on occassion.
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Flaherty played for Detroit for awhile.
                He was ok.
                Good Bye John!!
                1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

The Red Sox's counter-strike by signing Flaherty against the Yankees signing Damon back-fired on them. :grouchy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                    Well, Huckaby has 153 career games over the last 5 years, but Bard has pretty much the same....156 career games, with 149 games caught. His season high is 91. Both have below league average FP, but I haven't seen either catch enough to really know how they handle themselves behind the plate.

I think Bard is the favorite because he's healthy...Huckaby hasn't caught an inning at all this spring due to a injury (knee, I believe).

If he gets healthy and ready to catch, he might make the squad, but right now, Bard has got to the favorite.
                    Bard is the favorite but at least they have options. One will be the backup and one will be with Pawtucket. I'd rather have the guy with experience backing up Varitek than the young guy but if he is healthy and the veteran isn't they have no choice but to bring along the young guy...

Other options are that the Sox make a move for a backup catcher, or Varitek catches Wakefield and a backup either catches all of anohter pitchers games, or just spells Varitek on occassion.
                    Another thought- do they even need a second catcher just for Wakefield this year? They have 6 startes, 7 starters if you consider Papelbon as a full time starter. They only need 5, that leaves Wakefield free to go to the bullpen to strengthen that up. Varitek's bat is too key to take it out of the game just because Wakefield is pitching so I'm inclined to think that they will just go with who is healthy and and ready to play and eventually switch up the 2nd catcher if they need to.
                    Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                      The Red Sox's counter-strike by signing Flaherty against the Yankees signing Damon back-fired on them. :grouchy
                      I think it's more like he went out on the team that he broke into the big leagues with- Boston.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                        They have 6 startes, 7 starters if you consider Papelbon as a full time starter. They only need 5, that leaves Wakefield free to go to the bullpen to strengthen that up.
                        I agree Varitek's bat is very valuble and it's too bad to not have him in the lineup but I would like to point out Wake was at least the most consistent starter last year leading the Red Sox in wins (16), innings pitched (225.1) and ERA among regular starters (4.15). So I disagreee with moving him into the bullpen.

I would just really like to see Varitek work with Wakefield on the knuckleball, but With Varitek in the WBC there probably isn't enough time this spring to do the kind of work that it would take to prepare him to catch the knuckler.
                        "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                        -Don Fehr

Comment

I think that varitek should try to catch more wakefield games. even though he has trouble with it he is the best offensive catcher and maybe the best defensive catcher in the league as well. With flahtery gone ive got to go with bard. He is healthy and also is better defensively and offensivly then huckaby. Bard has 13 homers, 61 RBIs, and a .238 average in 156 games and 495 ABs for his career. Huckaby has 3 homers, 30 RBIs, and a .223 average in 153 games and 422 ABs. on defense Bard has a .989 fielding percentage and huckaby has a .988 fielding percentage. Not much difrence there. And you cant really say that huckaby has more experiance at the major leauge level because of 5 seasons compared to 4 because one of those seasons Huckaby only had 1 AB and 1 game. So neither are great and most defently wont be as effective as Mirabelli but Bard has got my vote to be the backup but i would like to see Varitek catch Wakefield more often.
                          go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

If anything, Jason needs more rest this season, not less. By the end of '05, he was looking dog-tired.
                            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

It looks like it might be Bard as the backup catcher anyway, by default; with Tek in the WBC, Flaherty gone, and Huckaby nursing a sore knee, Bard's the primary catcher in camp at the moment. The last 4 innings of today's game were caught by a fellow by the name of Concepcion, who didn't seem to really be all that good (today, at least).

Tek was looking a little worn by the end of '05. His batting average dropped precipitously in the last 4-5 weeks of the season. If he'd had to catch even more games, he would have been a rag by the end of the regular season.

By the way, Welcome to RedSoxVT92! the more, the merrier! :gt
                              --Annie
                              Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                              Remember Yellowdog
                              ABNY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X