Schilling for the Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schilling for the Hall

I believe Curt Schilling will make it into the HoF. He is a very smart pitcher who has reached milestones such as the 200 win and 3000 strikeout marks. I would like to see what the BBF public thinks. I know many will also agree to him being an HoFer but I would like to start opinions and maybe even a mini-thread on him.

Here are some stats (as of 2007)of Schilling's to help you with your decision:

W---L-----GS---W-L%---CG--ShO--IP------R---SO----ERA---ERA+--WHIP

216--146--436--.597---83----20--3261.0--1318--3116--3.46--127--1.137
    Yes
    76.92%
    No
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

"Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Which question would you like us to answer?? Whether he deserves to be or whether he will be??
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

He's got the credentials. Wins are a bit short, but the 3,000 strikeout club is a powerful recommendation and his postseason pedigree should put him over the top I think. He's taken three different teams to the World Series and won with 2 of them. Combination of rings, individual dominance, longevity, postseason excellence and The Sock (a defining moment of individual baseball heroism) should be enough to get him in.

Comment

i always think 300 wins should be the bench mark
        BALLGAME OVER, YANKEES WIN...THEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN
        “You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.”

Comment

well maybe not 300 ( thats a bit much too ask ) but at least 250

Comment

i would like to see more wins from someone in the HOF, but the 3000+ stikeouts are a plus and his clutch performances in the World Series should be taken into account. Wins are a difficult stat because you are not in sole control of whether your team wins or not. how good where the teams he played on early in his career?

I say yes, and his World Series performances being what pushes him over the top.
            Last edited by Boston Boxer; 05-19-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeFanUK View Post
              well maybe not 300 ( thats a bit much too ask ) but at least 250
              And therein lies the problem. Where you set the standard often has as much to do with who you want to see included or excluded as of what you think would be a reasonable measure to judge a hall of famer on.

Comment

IMO ( which is only my opinion so it may not count for much ) the HOF should only include EXCEPTIONAL players...hitters who`ve averaged over .300 with 2000 rbis, 3000 hits etc...and pitchers whove won 250 games...anything less is selling the hall short

Comment

I'd agree if I actually thought wins was a demonstration of actual pitcher skill. Great pitchers like Bert Blyleven tend to be left by the wayside if we just leave it up to wins, because unlike hits, runs and RBI's there's too much a pitcher can't control that results in a win or a loss.

Wins are too gross a measure of true talent as a result and they tend to curse pitchers who get stuck on weak teams for the lion's share of their career. Like Blyleven, and also like Schilling who had to wrestle wins out of weak Philidelphia Phillies teams for most of his prime.

Also, you do realize that you're leaving out Pedro Martinez when you do it that way, right? If Pedro can't qualify for the Hall then it doesn't deserve to exist.

And actually right now, surprisingly enough, Curt Schilling is at least the same level of candidate in terms of pure numbers as Pedro is, with more innings pitched, many more complete games and much better longevity
                  Last edited by Imgran; 05-19-2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Pedro would be close to the 250 mark if not for his injury plagued seasons in NYC...but you make a good point..maybe it should be based also on winning percentage as well as # of wins ( someone with a 220-100 mark should go in )

Comment

3000+ K, 3 20-win seasons, 3 300-K seasons, 3 World Series rings. I voted YES.
                      Last edited by BenHertz; 05-19-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I would also like to throw out the win percentage. He is almost at .600 which is a nice stat. Although this may change, it would be by a significant amount.

The ERA should also help him. It won't bring him into the Hall by itself but it certainly isn't something that's easy to keep.
                        "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

I think Schilling will and should be elected. I wrote an article about his HOF chances before the 2006 season, which you can read here, and I think most of the points are still valid.
                          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Schilling will definitely be elected to the hall. Even if he gets a little bonus because of the whole Red Sox world winning the series with the bloody sock.
                            I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
                            Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

If Schilling doesn't make the HOF, there's no point in having one.
                              BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X