No-No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-No

Which of these no-hitters was the most memorable for you? Which will have the most staying power 25 years from now?
    Hideo Nomo's
    4.55%
    Derek Lowe's
    9.09%
    Clay Bucholz's
    54.55%
    Jon Lester's
    31.82%
    sigpic
    Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
    Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    Which of these no-hitters was the most memorable for you? Which will have the most staying power 25 years from now?
    I went with Lester's since it is the only no-hitter I've ever watched.
    Just missed Clay's last year, didn't get home from work until after it was over.
    And I had no access to Red Sox games (that weren't on ESPN) before the '03 season.

Comment

I voted for Buchholz, since it was in only his 2nd major league start. Lester's is a very close 2nd, because of all he's been through.

It's pretty amazing when you think about it...the last two no-hitters in baseball have been thrown by Red Sox pitchers...and both of those pitchers are STILL under 25 years old!
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Buchholz -- it was really his introduction to the league, we've all heard of Lester, Nomo, and Lowe before their nonos so it will come to define Clay more than thne other three. Also it was a crucial win for the stretch run.

Lester's is a close second.

Comment

I also voted for Buchholz's, since it was just his second start as a major leaguer, and I saw it as it happened. But I also saw Nomo's. I live in the Washington, DC area and all the Orioles games are televised here, so I make sure to see all the games when the Red Sox play the Orioles. Both Buchholz and Nomo threw theirs against the Orioles, so I could sweat through each pitch of both games. I didn't know about Lester's until it was over.

But actually my most thrilling Red Sox no-hitter was Mel Parnell's in 1956, because I was a lot younger then, and some things tend to be more exciting when you're young.
          Last edited by DickZ; 05-20-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
            It's pretty amazing when you think about it...the last two no-hitters in baseball have been thrown by Red Sox pitchers...and both of those pitchers are STILL under 25 years old!
            anyone want to place odds on Justin Masterson doing it before the end of next season?

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
            Mel Parnell's
            I'm WAY too young to have seen him pitch (his no-hitter was 3months after my mom was born), but I did shake his hand a few seasons ago at a New Orleans Zephyrs game.
            They were paying tribute to professional baseball in Louisiana (Mel is from NOLA, and managed a AA team there as well after his playing days were done)

Comment

I was present at Lowe's no-hitter, so there's my vote.
              I expect that the no-hitter with the most staying power will belong to Lester or Bucholz, assuming one of them makes a name for himself. I can imagine ESPN bringing it up in a few years if one of them were to win a Cy Young or start an All-Star game. Similar to how we remember Mel Parnell, Randy Johnson, and Fernando Valenzuela, but not Wilson Alvarez.

Comment

Johnny Evers makes a good point that we may remember these differently depending on the careers of Lester or Bucholz.

It looks like Lester's will be the most memorable due to the cancer backstory and the time of year. Bucholz's happened as the looming pennant race/postseason overshadowed it (at least for me).

One of the reasons its worth a debate is the sheer volume of Sox No-no's. 18 so far. Only the Dodgers, with 20, have more.

Comment

All of these are noteworthy, although I missed both Buchholz's and Lester's. Derek Lowe's was big, if only because completely unexpected--I really thought Pedro would have been next. But I have to confess, Nomo's will live on in my mind because he was the stealth ace when Pedro went down. His "Nomo's No-No" was the first for the Red Sox in my lifetime and was an early hint that things were going to change for RSN. He was very underrated as a pitcher and had two more solid years after he was shamelessly spurned by Dan Duquette in one of his last bone-headed acts. It was also the first time Jason Varitek caught a no-hitter and then, as with Derek Lowe, a big part of the praise was redirected to the man who called the pitches from behind the plate.

2007 World Series Champions
                  The Boston Red Sox

Comment

A bit late to the table (likely when dessert was already being served), but I just wanted to offer my hearty CONGRATS to Jon Lester on his feat, and to the other 3 on their prior accomplishments.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Congrats to Jon Lester!! This was a huge story to me and see him throw a no hitter was amazing. I watched the last couple of innings and was almost a little teary eyed when he threw the strikeout to end it. That was truly awesome!
                      "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by BravesFanForever View Post
                        Congrats to Jon Lester!! This was a huge story to me and see him throw a no hitter was amazing. I watched the last couple of innings and was almost a little teary eyed when he threw the strikeout to end it. That was truly awesome!
                        Put it this way. My mother, who doesn't care a thing about baseball, was excited for Lester as a fellow cancer survivor. This story has legs beyond the baseball community, far more so than any of the other three. As a baseball fan I still prefer the rookie-phenom no-hitter simply because of how exciting it was and how critical to our pennant hopes that win was, but Lester's is the one that's more likely to be remembered.

Comment

I missed most of it, but I would say Bucholz's simply because it was his second major league start. That's impressive.
                          Talksox Red Sox Forum
                          Blog Boston Sports

Comment

Well, I voted for Lester for a few reasons (and I totally admit I'm 100% biased here)...in fact, miraculously, i was at fenway the night of Lester's no-hitter, which also happened to be my birthday...so yeah, it was a pretty incredible night, and the energy and tension and everything was completely THERE, you could feel it. I can't even begin to describe it, but it was amazing.

that's that. the other main reasons i went with Lester is just because of everything the kids been through and done in his short life so far...i feel like he'll be someone we'll still be talking about in another ten or fifteen years. Not to say Buchholz isn't in that same category, but hey, you can only vote for one, right?

and i've never seen any video of either lowe's or nomo's no-no's, so i can't compare them.
                            "I hope somebody hits .400 soon. Then people can start pestering that guy with questions about the last guy to hit .400." - Ted Williams

"That moment, when you first lay eyes on that field — The Monster, the triangle, the scoreboard, the light tower Big Mac bashed, the left-field grass where Ted (Williams) once roamed — it all defines to me why baseball is such a magical game." - ESPN Analyst Jayson Stark

Comment

I had to think about this one. Buchholz's was nice because it was his second career start, which is why I ended up going with it. Since Lester is a cancer survivor, and now we learn that his dad has the same cancer he had, it kind of makes his pretty special.
                              2007 WORLD CHAMPIONS

My baseball blog at thepitch.h-team.us. Back after a total redesign.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X