Masterson to AAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masterson to AAA

Looks like Masterson isn't going down to Portland again, but to AAA Pawtucket. I figured we'd see him here by June, so no great shock, but it'll be great to watch him pitch up close!

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._by_masterson/
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Not to be a pain, but technically he'd be going up to Portland, and down to Pawtuckett, but I know what you meant.

Comment

Ha ha...geographically, you are correct sir!

I was talking about "up" and "down" more from a "climbing the ladder to the major leagues" way.

Comment

He looked ready for MLB in his two starts. Still, he can work on more things in AAA ball. We'll see what we can get from Colon in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager View Post
          Not to be a pain, but technically he'd be going up to Portland, and down to Pawtuckett, but I know what you meant.
          Nope, it's right...he'd be going "down east" going north to Maine so going down is correct
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
            Nope, it's right...he'd be going "down east" going north to Maine so going down is correct
            Not to carry on the extremely silly argument, but Portland isn't much east. Even if it was he would be going "over" to Portland, not down. But no surprise with the move the way our rotation is stacked.
            2007 WORLD CHAMPIONS

My baseball blog at thepitch.h-team.us. Back after a total redesign.

Comment

Colon and Masterson must weight a combined 500 lbs.
              Originally posted by Domenic
              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawks2007 View Post
                Not to carry on the extremely silly argument, but Portland isn't much east. Even if it was he would be going "over" to Portland, not down. But no surprise with the move the way our rotation is stacked.

Do you live in New England?

Comment

Just say he went "to" Pawtucket-and was sent down but still promoted (might make a nice riddle someday). Anyway- I was impressed with what I've seen from Masterson in his 2 starts. If the bullpen keeps pitching like it is, we'll see him up here before long.
                  Trusted traders list-
                  Mike D. Rockhound, MadHatter

2007 PawSox Dunkin Donuts set: 24/30.

Still need: Kevin Cash, Jacoby Ellsbury, George Kottaras, Jon Lester, Brandon Moss and Ed Rogers.

Comment

Are we rooting for the only ballclub in MLB who would send down a guy who all he's done when we called him up was pitch quality starts and dominate?

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                      Are we rooting for the only ballclub in MLB who would send down a guy who all he's done when we called him up was pitch quality starts and dominate?
                      Yep. Three seperate guys too.

That's a good problem to have though.
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Will anyone venture a guess as to how long Masterson will be in Pawtucket? I'm hoping until August at least, b/c then I can (hopefully) get is auto @ the Futures at Fenway doubleheader. But the team comes first, so...
                        Trusted traders list-
                        Mike D. Rockhound, MadHatter

2007 PawSox Dunkin Donuts set: 24/30.

Still need: Kevin Cash, Jacoby Ellsbury, George Kottaras, Jon Lester, Brandon Moss and Ed Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by riredsox View Post
                          Will anyone venture a guess as to how long Masterson will be in Pawtucket? I'm hoping until August at least, b/c then I can (hopefully) get is auto @ the Futures at Fenway doubleheader. But the team comes first, so...
                          He could be back up for a spot start if Matsuzaka not ready to go for his next start. Worse case, Matsuzaka on the DL and Masterson part of the rotation until further notice. While that's good news for Masterson, the team would lose Matsuzaka. We'll see how serious the injury is in the coming days.

Comment

Masterson is the scheduled starter for the Pawsox tomorrow (I'll be at the game), but he certainly could be the callup for the Red Sox early next week. I heard Tuesday as a day he might start for Boston, which convieniently, is 5 days after tomorrow's scheduled start.

Hopefully, if Dice-K needs to miss time, it won't be long...either a single start or a 2-week trip to the DL. The Red Sox have the depth to cover for that kind of thing, but if he misses a month or more, they could get stretched a bit thin. A short break might actually help him, like it seemed to do for Josh Beckett last year.

Comment

Saw Masterson pitch yesterday, his first AAA start. He looked good, and pretty much as advertised. Fastball in the 90-94 range, a hard sinker at 87-89, plus a slower curve/change he threw only a few times, but with good effect. He works fast, which I love, and seemed confident and poised on the mound.

He went 6 innings, gave up 4 hits and 2 runs, one earned. He struck out 4 and walked one. True to his rep, everything was on the ground except one line drive single and a foul pop-out. The unearned run scored on a wild pitch which got away from the catcher, but not very far, but the catcher got tangled up with the ump and couldn't get to it.

Other than that, one key to Masterson's success will be infield defense. It's a tad lacking in Pawtucket, but very good at Boston outside of Lugo. Right now, Jed Lowrie is hurt, so when he comes back, that should improve Pawtucket's infield defense.

Anyway, thought folks would like to hear about how Masterson did. I think he's going to be a good one, and could be back in Boston as soon as Tuesday (if Dice-K misses his next start).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X