X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ortiz to DL

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseb...62&format=text

Wow... soo.... what do we do now?

That's terrible news. Looks like we'll need to depend upon Ramirez until Ortiz back, if he even comes back this season. Looks like the Red Sox might need to look around the trade market for possible replacements for Ortiz's bat in the lineup. This is what I call a major shot to the team's chances of making the playoff.

Comment

Wow...major bummer. I was sure it was going to be because of his knee.
      It is scary to think about how Nomar's wrist brought him down. That guy could line the ball out of the park the other way before the wrist problems, had to pull to get anything on the ball afterward.
      Since Jay Bruce is playing so well, I wonder if the Bosox could trade for Adam Dunn...it would make more sense if they're not planning to bring Manny back, though, unless it turns out that a long term Papi replacement is needed (please no!!). Dunn is no Papi, but he could probably bang out 40-45 HRs for the Bosox and draw 100 walks, so it's not so bad if he only hits .250 or whatever.
      Guess if Crisp is healthy and Ellsbury plays left while Manny is at DH, that's a tremendous defensive OF...offense would be a little weak, though.
      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

This is potentially disastrous. Without Papi the offense has never been as threatening to pitchers.

If he does miss extended time, or that season stuff that I do not want to talk about... at least we have enough speed to be flexible offensively. That was not always the case.

With the state of the AL, I support trading for a bat (as well as the relief pitcher we still need). If that means overpaying with prospects or talent, thats OK. This is one of those years you can take a bigger risk.

Best wishes to Papi. Even the non-Sox fans know the guy is committed to helping his team win. This downtime will be tough on him. And tough on us fans too.

Comment

I'm not panicing. They played well with him not hitting and with a terrible road schedule, the schedule favors them(15 at home, 6 away) and they have adapted before to him not helping them much.

If his stint goes beyond three weeks into the Houston/Tampa/New York road trip then I might change my mind though...
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
            That's terrible news. Looks like we'll need to depend upon Ramirez until Ortiz back, if he even comes back this season. Looks like the Red Sox might need to look around the trade market for possible replacements for Ortiz's bat in the lineup. This is what I call a major shot to the team's chances of making the playoff.
            This is terrible news.

While losing Big Papi is a major blow to our offense, I still feel the Sox have enough talent with the current roster to make the playoffs.

Though, I wouldn't mind if they were able to pick up a decent slugger to help out if Papi is out for for most of, or the whole year.

I'd be very hesitant to trade away prospects unless it's an absolute need, which as of this writing I'm not conviced is a need. But If we need to down the road, does anyone have any ideas on who might be available for trade and at what price? Maybe Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr?

Comment

I think they should try some internal options, since they have them and all. Brandon Moss hit 3 HR's in a game the other day so I think it's safe to say he's healthy again, and we all saw how impressive he can be before he got appendicitis.

Call Moss up and see what he can do. If he can't cut it, call up Carter. If neither of them can cut it you'll still have time to discuss your options at the trading deadline.

Comment

This is a worrisome injury, not unlike the one that Schilling sustained to his ankle. It's not clear that the tendon sheath can repair itself without surgery, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

That said, the farm system is deep and talented, although no one can replace Papi's power and clutch hitting. This is NOT the time to panic, especially regarding trades. Let's see if pitching, speed, and depth can take us through the next six weeks or so.
                Red Sox/Cardinal Fan -- Best of Both Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                  I think they should try some internal options, since they have them and all. Brandon Moss hit 3 HR's in a game the other day so I think it's safe to say he's healthy again, and we all saw how impressive he can be before he got appendicitis.

Call Moss up and see what he can do. If he can't cut it, call up Carter. If neither of them can cut it you'll still have time to discuss your options at the trading deadline.
                  He's the one most believe will be tapped to take Ortiz's roster spot according to the team's site...

About the only silver lining that can come from Ortiz being out is that they will be able to sit Ramirez and likely Lowell and Youklis as well giving them some needed rest while not removing their bats...
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

While I believe trading for a bat would be needed, what will happen when Ortiz is back. He's projected to be back this season, but how effective, would be the question. I'm also not thrilled giving up prospects for Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr. at the moment. I've never been an Adam Dunn fan. Griffey becoming old, but I do believe, like Ramirez, he'll start hitting once his milestone home run is out of the way.

I see Lowrie being move since he seems blocked at 3B by Lowell. Unless he's converted to another position. I don't see him being a SS in the future. Lowrie does seem like the expandable prospect and the most interesting prospect we have at the minor league level outside pitchers. At the moment, not sure how the team going to approach the situation.

There is the unpopular decision to sign Barry Bonds.

Dogdaze, haven't seen you around in a some time. Welcome back.

Comment

...Dogdaze, haven't seen you around in a some time. Welcome back.
                      Speaking of dogs who have been lying low for a long time, does anybody know where Dirt Dog is? He hasn't posted since last December.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post

Agreed, lets see what Moss or Carter can do, both have been hitting well at AAA. At this point I'm really not looking to trade, Evangelion's post just got me thinking about that option if it's necessary.
                        Last edited by Dogdaze; 06-03-2008, 01:19 PM.

Comment

While I believe trading for a bat would be needed, what will happen when Ortiz is back. He's projected to be back this season, but how effective, would be the question. I'm also not thrilled giving up prospects for Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr. at the moment. I've never been an Adam Dunn fan. Griffey becoming old, but I do believe, like Ramirez, he'll start hitting once his milestone home run is out of the way.

I see Lowrie being move since he seems blocked at 3B by Lowell. Unless he's converted to another position. I don't see him being a SS in the future. Lowrie does seem like the expandable prospect and the most interesting prospect we have at the minor league level outside pitchers. At the moment, not sure how the team going to approach the situation.

There is the unpopular decision to sign Barry Bonds.

Dogdaze, haven't seen you around in a some time. Welcome back.
                          Thanks for the welcome Evangelion.

I'm not the biggest fan of Adam Dunn either, but I do like Griffey and your right he is getting old, but like you, I think he'll start hitting better once the pressure to hit 600 is over.

However I'm not convinced at this point that we need to make an immediate trade, I was just throwing a couple names out there off the top of my head as potential rental's if needed down the road. But hopefully it won't come to that. I hate the idea of giving up good prospects for a rental. Lets just hope Papi makes a complete recovery.

I still feel we have a very good offense even without Papi, and I agee with Imgran, we can always try Moss or Carter.

I heard the Bonds rumor too, and while he might be able to help, I really don't think we need him at this point.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X