Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox v Braves

Help needed:
    I am wondering if the Red Sox ever played against the Boston Braves (not Milwaukee or Atlanta), presumably it would have to have been an exhibition game

Thanks for any info

It would probably be a good idea to post your question under the Boston/Milwaukee Braves site in the TEAMS OF YESTERYEAR section of BBF, in addition to here.

I don't follow the Old Braves discussions, but I do keep tabs on the Brooklyn Dodgers part of that same YESTERYEAR section, and they have lots of people who really know their stuff about things that happened over 60 years ago.

All I know is that we came close to having an all-Boston World Series in 1948. The Braves won the National League, and the Red Sox came close in the American, but lost a one-game playoff to Cleveland. So the Indians rather than the Red Sox went on to play the Braves for the world championship.

Fortunately for us, when the season again ended with the Red Sox and Indians having identical records in 2007, the Red Sox won by a tiebreaker based on head-to-head meetings. That gave us home field advantage for the ALCS, which certainly helped bring about our eventual nerve-wracking come-from-behind victory.

If the Indians played the Braves today, instead of in 1948, there would probably be even more of those protests about team names than we currently have.
    Last edited by DickZ; 06-19-2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
      It would probably be a good idea to post your question under the Boston/Milwaukee Braves site in the TEAMS OF YESTERYEAR section of BBF, in addition to here.

I don't follow the Old Braves discussions, but I do keep tabs on the Brooklyn Dodgers part of that same YESTERYEAR section, and they have lots of people who really know their stuff about things that happened over 60 years ago.

All I know is that we came close to having an all-Boston World Series in 1948. The Braves won the National League, and the Red Sox came close in the American, but lost a one-game playoff to Cleveland. So the Indians rather than the Red Sox went on to play the Braves for the world championship.

Fortunately for us, when the season again ended with the Red Sox and Indians having identical records in 2007, the Red Sox won by a tiebreaker based on head-to-head meetings. That gave us home field advantage for the ALCS, which certainly helped bring about our eventual nerve-wracking come-from-behind victory.

If the Indians played the Braves today, instead of in 1948, there would probably be even more of those protests about team names than we currently have.
      They played in the 1995 World Series. And we should have won it. (Yes I'm a Tribe fan posting in the Red Sox forum, only because of the Braves mention.)
      The playoffs should expand eventually, but only if MLB itself expands.

See my blog for more info.

Comment

They did play each other on a number of occasions at Braves Field but it's unknown how often they played and if the games were for profit or for charity...
        Last edited by efin98; 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post

Thanks will do, this site is just so big I didnt even spot that forum.
          So thats another good few hours entertainment looking through there,

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxengland View Post
            Help needed:
            I am wondering if the Red Sox ever played against the Boston Braves (not Milwaukee or Atlanta), presumably it would have to have been an exhibition game

Thanks for any info
            The Red Sox played the Braves in an exhibition to raise money for the charity of the Braves, called the Jimmy Fund (a fund set up to treat cancer in children) ... when the Braves moved to Milwaukee, the Red Sox took over the charity ... the Milwaukee Braves used to come back to Boston once a year and continued playing this charity game, during the season

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X