Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Classy (NOT)article in the St. Pete Times

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...icle652611.ece

This clown Tom Jones. gives the Rays fans 10 reasons to hate the Sox..two of his reasons are pitiful and I post them here.

My comments are in (red)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curt Schilling

I know he's not around, and, sincerely, we hate to see anyone's career end on an injury. But …

Shut up. Please. Please shut up. You talk too much. Remember a few years ago when he popped off on Lou Piniella, claiming Piniella no longer knows how the game is played? (This year's NL Central standings suggest otherwise.) That's just one of like a million things Schilling, right, has said over the years — to newspaper reporters, on the radio, on TV … in his own blog! I swear, someday a YouTube clip is going to show him rubbing ketchup on that, ahem, bloody sock. Okay, we get it, you had a cut on your foot. They're rich but act poor

For years, Red Sox fans bellyached about their rivals, the Yankees, and how much money the Yankees would spend on players. Well, you know what? You guys are the Yankees, too. You win championships because you spend money. So don't act like you're the organization with all the sharp baseball minds who built through the draft and shrewd waiver-wire pickups with a tiny payroll. That's the Rays, not you guys.

Oh yeah, sure, Red Sox GM Theo Epstein, right, is a genius. It takes real brilliance to recognize that Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell are, uh, pretty good and we should write them a check from a limitless bank account. No, genius is trading away a player like Delmon Young for Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett.

(They WISH they had Schilling!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jason Varitek's C

Jason Varitek is the Red Sox captain, and he wears a "C" on his uniform. This isn't hockey. Why is he the only guy in baseball wearing a C? In fact, what does a baseball captain even do? Wearing a "C" is just arrogant. "Hey, look at us, we have a captain." "Hey, lookie at me. I'm the leader." The Yankees have a captain, too, but you don't see Derek Jeter feeling the need to announce to the world that he has a job that has no duties. If you want to lead, then lead. But you don't have to tell everyone that you lead.

(Do the Rays even HAVE a captain???)
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

You can tell that the only time St. Pete has ever been relevant is football. You just don't talk this much trash in baseball. I don't think we even did it this bad when we were in the worst of our Yankee-envy phase.

Comment

Red Sox's nation is in deep trouble if you need to worry about about some tongue-in-cheek article written in a Florida paper that has to use large type so most of its readers can see the print.

Lighten up boys, it's just a weak stab at some humor.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I find it positively side splitting that this Jones guy is talking like the Rays have won a World Series. When Matt Garza wins a meaningful in September, let alone October then I will anoint the Rays GM's geniuses until he needs to enjoy the fact that his team is playing great baseball.
        "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
          Red Sox's nation is in deep trouble if you need to worry about about some tongue-in-cheek article written in a Florida paper that has to use large type so most of its readers can see the print.

Lighten up boys, it's just a weak stab at some humor.
          Emphasis on "weak."

I'm not really upset, just amazed at the juvenility of the whole thing.

Comment

I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan, but I actually agree with some of these points.

The concept of "Red Sox Nation" is pretty disgusting to me in general. How the organization took the concept and turned it into a marketing ploy to make more money is frustrating. The bandwagon fans are frustrating. The things we allow Manny to get away with is frustrating.

Some very valid points in here... and I can honestly understand how frustrating it would be to be a fan of a city like Minnesota or Kansas City and see Boston winning everything - the same way I despised the Yankees and their fans just a decade ago.

This probably means it's cyclical - the Boston teams will not be on top forever. All good things come to an end... and I think I may actually enjoy the thud of the "fans" when they jump off the bandwagon in a few years.
            sigpic
            Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
            Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

fwiw, a large percentage of the Red Sox fans who show up at the Trop are a big-mouthed arrogant asses. This attitude has grown MUCH more prevelent since Boston finally won some rings and is now MUCH worse than that of visiting NY fans.

Anyway, that article is supposed to be light-hearted humor. Some of you should stop taking yourselves so seriously. This quote is spot-on: "They were more fun — and a whole lot classier — when they were cursed."

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
                Well, you know what? You guys are the Yankees, too. You win championships because you spend money. So don't act like you're the organization with all the sharp baseball minds who built through the draft and shrewd waiver-wire pickups with a tiny payroll. That's the Rays, not you guys.
                While I think the article is pretty much a failed joke and doesn't really merit a response, I can't pass this one up. Most of the team is pretty much homegrown other than (off the top of my head) Manny, Lugo, Schilling, Drew and Matsuzaka. Ortiz was a non-tendered free agent who they got dirt cheap, Okajima was also a friggin' bargain. Beckett and Lowell were acquired for H. Ramirez and Sanchez.

Also, I too am a little ashamed of the behavior of fellow Sox "fans" of late. I mean, I find it okay (almost obligatory) for fans to be obnoxious and unruly at Fenway, but on the road its a whole different story. Wear a shirt or hat, support the team and just shut up and watch the game.
                Last edited by Senor Octobre; 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM.
                "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

All I can say it is probably a HUGE mistake for him to have his phone number in his bio.

I've made it clear that I have a strong dislike for the arena baseball team that is the Devil Rays (or whatever there calling themselves now). I find it extremely funny that a writer would talk about class while his own team is parading inflatable dancing bananas around the field while everyone rings cowbells. Even if our "class" suddenly vanished when started winning (or people got tired of the heartwarming story and the "Red Sox nation" crap that ESPN was trying to shove down their throats), at least we used to have some.

But the most amazing thing for me is after 100+ years of pro sports in America, people still can't realize the simple fact that the better the team is, the more arrogant band wagoners there will be, and that this doesn't represent the true fans. The Lakers, The Yankees, and now the Sox and the Celtics, all have them and will until they stop winning.

The one part of this "article" I did find hilarious, however, is how he can call out Papelbon for not "grabbing a bat", when he himself will never have to back up his talk. Pap will probably never hear about this guy, considering he's a no-name page 2 writer, but if he does, Tom Jones will probably be the one wetting his pants.

Comment

Before you guys try to storm the ramparts of the St. Pete Times you might want to consider that Dan Shaugnessy writes for the Boston Globe and has written hundreds of articles like the one this guy wrote.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by zengator View Post
                      fwiw, a large percentage of the Red Sox fans who show up at the Trop are a big-mouthed arrogant asses. This attitude has grown MUCH more prevelent since Boston finally won some rings and is now MUCH worse than that of visiting NY fans.
                      Also, fwiw, fans of other teams act just as or even more classless when their team beats the Sox. They whine and moan and cry about arrogant Sox fans, yet when their team wins, they rub it in opposing fans faces. I experienced it first hand in Houston this past weekend, and i'm more than sure it's the same thing in St. Petersburg. It's incredible how hypocritical some people can be -- show some class and act like you've been there if you want to act all high and mighty -- pretending that your fan base is somehow superior to another because you aren't loud-mouthed. The first chance a team's fan base gets to be arrogant, I guarantee they'll take it. It comes with winning and isn't limited to Boston.

(Not aimed at you, just at the point you're making)

Before you guys try to storm the ramparts of the St. Pete Times you might want to consider that Dan Shaugnessy writes for the Boston Globe and has written hundreds of articles like the one this guy wrote.
                      And Shaughnessy is a first-class douche that no one really likes either.
                      Originally posted by Domenic
                      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                        Also, fwiw, fans of other teams act just as or even more classless when their team beats the Sox. They whine and moan and cry about arrogant Sox fans, yet when their team wins, they rub it in opposing fans faces. I experienced it first hand in Houston this past weekend, and i'm more than sure it's the same thing in St. Petersburg. It's incredible how hypocritical some people can be -- show some class and act like you've been there if you want to act all high and mighty -- pretending that your fan base is somehow superior to another because you aren't loud-mouthed. The first chance a team's fan base gets to be arrogant, I guarantee they'll take it. It comes with winning and isn't limited to Boston.

(Not aimed at you, just at the point you're making)

And Shaughnessy is a first-class douche that no one really likes either.

I was out a little while ago at Publix..wearing my Sox cap and a t-shirt, had one guy in his 40s/50s wearing a Rays shirt come up to me and tell me to move back north. I just asked him how that new stadium was coming along and walked away.
                        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

I could care less what CHB says, really.
                          "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Just because he writes here doesn't mean we support the stuff he spews. I doubt there's a Sox fan on this board who's a fan of CHB.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan, but I actually agree with some of these points.

The concept of "Red Sox Nation" is pretty disgusting to me in general. How the organization took the concept and turned it into a marketing ploy to make more money is frustrating. The bandwagon fans are frustrating. The things we allow Manny to get away with is frustrating.

i am glad the front office is marketing and making money...at least they are putting the money they make back into the team and not just putting it in their pocket.

I also think it is a misconception that Manny is getting away with his actions. when the front office says it was handled internally, then i beleive them. It is not the publics business how it was handled.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X