Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Francona gets contract extension

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Francona gets contract extension

    through 2008. Seems well deserved to me.

    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._through_2008/
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

  • #2
    Im glad he will be staying in Boston for a little longer. Real good manager with the Red Sox, not so great with the phillies though. He does deserve it i mean he helped bring home bostons first world sereis since 1918.
    go sox.

    Pigskin-Fever

    Comment


    • #3
      Managers with horses get extensions. Managers without horses get to take extended walks off short piers.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KCGHOST
        Managers with horses get extensions. Managers without horses get to take extended walks off short piers.
        In this case, I think it's "a manager who works well within a system gets an extention". Sure, he's had a lot of talent to work with, but he's bought into Theo Epstein and ownership's way of doing things.
        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

        Comment


        • #5
          Good for him. I would have thought that after the WS Win, he would have been extended indefinitely right there and then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DoubleX
            Good for him. I would have thought that after the WS Win, he would have been extended indefinitely right there and then.
            Ha ha....thankfully Sox management is a bit less sentimental than some of the fan base.

            Franconia was one of the lowest paid managers, and this new deal remedies that, which I think is more than fair.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

            Comment


            • #7
              I like Francona (and think he is a likeable guy), but I'm not sure I'm buying that he had a whole lot to do with 2004's outcome.
              "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KCGHOST
                Managers with horses get extensions. Managers without horses get to take extended walks off short piers.
                I agree. Just look at Joe Torre. Didn't do much of anything before joining the Yankees, and now he'll probably be elected to the hall of fame. If you've got the talent to manage, you smell like roses. If you don't, you smell like $h!t.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SoxSon
                  I like Francona (and think he is a likeable guy), but I'm not sure I'm buying that he had a whole lot to do with 2004's outcome.
                  Well, unlike Grady Little in 2003, he at least didn't screw it up. Once a team's in the playoffs, that's about all you can ask of your manager.

                  He worked well with the talent he was given in the system he had.

                  They had a good regular season team that was able to fight out of a tough spot in 2004 playoffs to win the WS.
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mike D.
                    Well, unlike Grady Little in 2003, he at least didn't screw it up. Once a team's in the playoffs, that's about all you can ask of your manager.

                    He worked well with the talent he was given in the system he had.

                    They had a good regular season team that was able to fight out of a tough spot in 2004 playoffs to win the WS.
                    Agreed, Mike. At least in Boston, Little was a below average in-game manager, IMO. I lost count of the number of decisions he made that I disagreed with...and I mean long before the decision.
                    Francona was fine by comparison.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like Francona, I think he handles the team and Boston well and deserves an extension.

                      In his first two seasons he's averaged 96.5 wins per season, I'll just say 96. If he keeps that up (and assuming he finishes his contract, not a likely proposition in Boston) he'll have a total of 481 wins as Red Sox manager. That would put him 4th all time on the Wins list for Sox managers, ahead of Jimmy Collins and 8 behind Bill Carrigan for third. But, that would mean he managed for 5 years and only 5 managers have lasted that long in the entirety of Red Sox history.

                      Not a prediction or anything, just felt like throwing that up there.
                      "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

                      You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                      -Don Fehr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SoxSon
                        I like Francona (and think he is a likeable guy), but I'm not sure I'm buying that he had a whole lot to do with 2004's outcome.
                        I'm inclined to agree with that. Kind of right place at the right time kind of thing, but nothing will change the fact that he was at the helm when the curse was broken.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's good that the team extended his contract because if he is anything like his predecessors he possibly would have been gone after this year. Seriously.

                          Over the last 60 years the other guys on the Red Sox have brought the team a pennant or an ALCS championship and were gone within a few years. Come to think of it, this year is the average year for departure for managers who have gone to the World Series with the Red Sox- the last four guys left the team the during the second year or less after appearing in the series. Even the guys who made it to the ALCS or even the playoffs didn't last too long, the same thing happened to them.

                          I'm not saying that his departure was imminant, just saying that there is a trend there regarding prior managers who had success like him.
                          Last edited by efin98; 03-14-2006, 09:25 PM.
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DoubleX
                            I'm inclined to agree with that. Kind of right place at the right time kind of thing, but nothing will change the fact that he was at the helm when the curse was broken.
                            "playing with another guy's players" comes to mind there. I think of it kind of like the 1996 New York Yankees- Buck Schowalter's players, Joe Torre's victory. Everything after that though is his team, just as last year and this year is Terry's team.
                            Best posts ever:
                            Originally posted by nymdan
                            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by efin98
                              "playing with another guy's players" comes to mind there. I think of it kind of like the 1996 New York Yankees- Buck Schowalter's players, Joe Torre's victory. Everything after that though is his team, just as last year and this year is Terry's team.
                              There are similarities, but I think there were more changes between the '95 and '96 Yankees then between the '03 and '04 Sox. Torre was also a much more active manager during his first few years with the Yanks, kind of like Mike Scoscia with the Angels. There was a lot of small ball and emphasis on executing the little things. Unfortunately all that became lost as the players from the 90s left and were replaced by sluggers like Giambi and Sheffield. There really seems to be less managing by Torre in the past few years, and I think that has something to do with the no championships - the team lacks an on-field identity and strategy other than to swing for the fences.

                              I do see a lot of Sox games, but not enough to make a very good judgment of Francona. But from what I have seen, he does seem kind of passive as a manager, just kind of letting the pieces do their thing. I don't know though. What do Sox fans think of his in-game managing ability?

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X