Francona gets contract extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoubleX
    I do see a lot of Sox games, but not enough to make a very good judgment of Francona. But from what I have seen, he does seem kind of passive as a manager, just kind of letting the pieces do their thing. I don't know though. What do Sox fans think of his in-game managing ability?
    I think he's laid back but does get fired up when he has to be. He lets the pitching coach handle the pitchers and the batting coach handle the batters, but he's the ultimate authority on the team.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
      It's good that the team extended his contract because if he is anything like his predecessors he possibly would have been gone after this year. Seriously.

Over the last 60 years the other guys on the Red Sox have brought the team a pennant or an ALCS championship and were gone within a few years. Come to think of it, this year is the average year for departure for managers who have gone to the World Series with the Red Sox- the last four guys left the team the during the second year or less after appearing in the series. Even the guys who made it to the ALCS or even the playoffs didn't last too long, the same thing happened to them.

I'm not saying that his departure was imminant, just saying that there is a trend there regarding prior managers who had success like him.
      But you also have to take into consideration what those teams did after they won the WS. . . not much. At least with this team, they made it to the playoffs the year after winning it all, despite a shaky bullpen and decent-but-not-great starting staff.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
        But you also have to take into consideration what those teams did after they won the WS. . . not much.
        I wouldn't say that. A large number of those teams were still competitive during the years after getting or winning the World Series. The ones that weren't were naturally fired for mediocracy. And it's even worse than I thought- it goes all the way back to the first AL championship in 1903 when Jimmy Collins was managing the team. Every one of the managers left at most two years after getting to or winning the World Series. Odd coincidence, but something I am a bit concerned about...

At least with this team, they made it to the playoffs the year after winning it all, despite a shaky bullpen and decent-but-not-great starting staff.
        They also got swept in three games by Chicago, so that's a big downturn from the years prior. If history holds true, the team will likely miss the playoffs and if not for the extention Francona would have been gone. The extention probably saved his butt for a few more years, despite winning the World Series...if they did it to other guys the team would do it to him.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
          There are similarities, but I think there were more changes between the '95 and '96 Yankees then between the '03 and '04 Sox.
          Who changed on the Yankees, out of curiousity? The Sox added a new #1 starter (Schilling) and a new closer (Foulke) two BIG moves. They then made the move at the deadline that sent Nomar out and brought in Cabrera, Minky, etc. Seems like some pretty major personel moves.
          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
            They also got swept in three games by Chicago, so that's a big downturn from the years prior. If history holds true, the team will likely miss the playoffs and if not for the extention Francona would have been gone. The extention probably saved his butt for a few more years, despite winning the World Series...if they did it to other guys the team would do it to him.
            That is true, but remember, they had their backs against the wall in the '99 and '03 Div. Series. We were bound to get ousted in that fashion sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
              Who changed on the Yankees, out of curiousity? The Sox added a new #1 starter (Schilling) and a new closer (Foulke) two BIG moves. They then made the move at the deadline that sent Nomar out and brought in Cabrera, Minky, etc. Seems like some pretty major personel moves.
              - 1B changed from Don Mattingly to Tino Martinez
              - 2B changed from Pat Kelly/Randy Velarde to Mariano Duncan (who had a big year in '96)
              - SS changed from Tony Fernandez to Derek Jeter
              - C changed from Mike Stanley to Joe Girardi
              - LF changed from Gerald Williams to Tim Raines/Darryl Strawberry
              - DH changed from Ruben Sierra to Cecil Fielder

- Kenny Rogers and Dwight Gooden were added to the rotation
              - First full season with David Cone and Andy Pettite in the rotation
              - First full season for Mariano Rivera
              - Bullpen almost totally restructed to include Jeff Nelson, David Weathers, Grame Lloyd, Brian Boehringer, and Ramiro Mendoza

The only core holdovers were really:

3B: Wade Boggs (but even he saw his time cut into by the addition of Charlie Hayes in '96)
              CF: Bernie Williams
              RF: Paul O'Neill
              C2: Jim Leyritz
              SP: Jimmy Key
              SP: David Cone (but '96 was first full year with Yankees)
              SP: Andy Pettitte (but '96 was first full year in rotation)
              SU: Mariano Rivera (but '96 was first full year with Yankees, he was a spot-starter in '95)
              CL: John Wetteland

So in '96, the Yankees had new starters at 5 positions, a new DH, and 2 new starters but 4 starters having their first full season with the Yankees, new bench players, and a totally revamped bullpen with the exception of John Wetteland. Quite a bit of change actually.
              Last edited by DoubleX; 03-15-2006, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X