Bronson Arroyo Gets Tagged...Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronson Arroyo Gets Tagged...Again

As much as I like the guy, Bronson is fast becoming the odd man in the bullpen. In today's outing he coughed up 5 runs in the first, including a 3-run bomb to former BoSox Scott Hatteberg. Bronny currently sits with a 18.90 ERA and is starting to look like a short reliever in April. I'd say he's trade bait, but his new contract coupled with his performance mean that he'd be hard to move.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

I like Bronson too. But he isnt as good as the other starters we got. I wouldnt mind putting Bronson in the bullpen, and he wont make a big deal about it either. A team player. It seems like it will be hard to trade him and I think thats unlikley. But we have alot more season left (only spring training) and hopefully hell straighten himself out.
    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

While his spring performance hasn't been very good he actually very much trade bait because of his contract, he signed what is generally considered a below market value contract to stay with Boston, the old "hometown discount". Unless something is wrong physically (mechanics, ect) I don't put much stock in spring training numbers, I remember David McCarty hit about 7 homers in Spring training a little while ago. He's just getting things worked out most likely, so don't rush judgement.
      "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
      -Don Fehr

Comment

Remember, Foulke stunk it up in spring training 2004, too, and we thought the roof would fall in.
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

Bronson I think was the odd man out before spring training. we have 5 quality starters in beckett, schilling, wells, wakefield, and clement. I still think he will get a good amount of starts along with papelbon but just not in the starting rotation (unless someone gets hurt) That also shows the depth of our rotation in that we have 7 good starters. Yes spring training is just like practice except for those who are trying to make the roster.
          go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Don't put much stock in a Spring Training looss to Cincinatti, especially in a Spring where the Marlins have the best record in the Grapefruit League and Detroit is in third place overall in the AL...

Arroyo is the team's fifth starter, possibly their sixth or even seventh starter. I'd be worried if it was Wakefield and Beckett getting shelled more than him. The team is still missing key pieces(at least until Friday) and has to put much younger guys out there against a team with a the vast majority of it's regular starters there for the entire Spring.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
              Remember, Foulke stunk it up in spring training 2004, too, and we thought the roof would fall in.
              Wasn't this also the Spring where Kansas City had the best record in MLB and the Red Sox had one of the worst? Look how they ended up that year!
              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                Arroyo is the team's fifth starter, possibly their sixth or even seventh starter.
                Are the Sox going with a 7-man rotation?

2007 World Series Champions
                The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon

That might be the answer to all of our problems!!!
                  Just think...Clement's asthma is controllable, Wells has plenty of couch time, Schilling is interviewed less and Beckett's blisters are a thing of the past!
                  "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
                    While his spring performance hasn't been very good he actually very much trade bait because of his contract, he signed what is generally considered a below market value contract to stay with Boston, the old "hometown discount". Unless something is wrong physically (mechanics, ect) I don't put much stock in spring training numbers, I remember David McCarty hit about 7 homers in Spring training a little while ago. He's just getting things worked out most likely, so don't rush judgement.
                    It's too bad that other players (i.e. Damon) don't have the class that Arroyo does. Like what other people have said, it's only spring training. Wakefield was pathetic in a ST start in AZ last March, and he was fine. These guys are still working on mechanics, location, etc. Obviously, they want to get batters out, but that's almost secondary in some respects.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                      No. I meant he's bound for the bullpen most likely. Schilling, Beckett, Clement, Wells, Wakefield, Papelbon, and him- that's seven guys vying for the five starting rotation spots. He's looking like the odd man out.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X