Wade Boggs last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade Boggs last night

I'm really not too concerned about this but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth and I'm wondering how other Red Sox fans feel about this. He went into the hall of fame wearing a Red Sox cap and last night during the pre-game ceremony he wore a Yankees cap. I just don't understand it. Anybody else a bit bothered by it?
    Ellsbury SB: 54

He probably received a hefty check from a Steinbrenner.
    Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
    “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxFan68 View Post

I'm really not too concerned about this but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth and I'm wondering how other Red Sox fans feel about this. He went into the hall of fame wearing a Red Sox cap and last night during the pre-game ceremony he wore a Yankees cap. I just don't understand it. Anybody else a bit bothered by it?
      He's in Yankee Stadium, he played for the Yankees. Regardless of how he got to the HOF, on a day to honor the stadium and its fans, I thought it was a logical choice. It's not as big a snub as when Boggs said he wanted to go into the HOF as a Devil Ray.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I think that Boggs has some lingering bad feelings about the Red Sox.
        Remember that a player doesn't choose the cap that is shown on his HOF plaque...that is the HOF's decision.
        Boggs got his ring with Yanks, he enjoyed the '86 nightmare while with Boston. The whole Margo Adams thing became public while he was with Boston. I seem to remember that things got unfriendly while he was leaving as a FA.
        If the game had been in Boston, he probably would have worn a Bosox cap. It was a lot easier for him to wear a NYY cap last night, and he has the right to wear either one. If he had worn a Bosox cap last night, the fans might have thrown chicken sandwiches at him...maybe even whole frozen chickens, fired from hairspray cannons!!!
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Didn't seem like a big deal to me.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I noticed he had a Yankees hat on at the celebrity softball game. He didn't pick his HoF hat. It was rumored he had a deal with the (Devil) Rays to go wear their hat, and that he's the reason players can no longer select. I've heard him in interviews though talk with great fondness for his time with the Yankees, notably winning the '96 World Series as the highlight of his career. Based on some things he's said, I've assumed he has some resentment towards the Sox and if you ask him, he'd probably align himself with the Yankees. To the majority of Yankee fans though, he's just a footnote.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
              I noticed he had a Yankees hat on at the celebrity softball game. He didn't pick his HoF hat. It was rumored he had a deal with the (Devil) Rays to go wear their hat, and that he's the reason players can no longer select. I've heard him in interviews though talk with great fondness for his time with the Yankees, notably winning the '96 World Series as the highlight of his career. Based on some things he's said, I've assumed he has some resentment towards the Sox and if you ask him, he'd probably align himself with the Yankees. To the majority of Yankee fans though, he's just a footnote.
              I think he and Winfield are the two reasons the rule was changed. Winfield was payed off by SD to go into the HOF as a Padre.
              http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by parlo View Post
                I think he and Winfield are the two reasons the rule was changed. Winfield was payed off by SD to go into the HOF as a Padre.
                Yeah, but Winfield going in as a Padre would be justifiable anyway. He played 8 years with the Padres, compared 8+ with the Yankees, and he had several good seasons with the Padres (good case for 1979 NL MVP), and he was never really embraced in New York.

Reggie Jackson and Nolan Ryan come to mind as players wearing caps of teams that they probably aren't most associated with.

Comment

Ehh, I understand the Yankee hat at Yankee Stadium, but at least have a Sox hat in hand like Winfield did.
                  "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Yeah, but Winfield going in as a Padre would be justifiable anyway. He played 8 years with the Padres, compared 8+ with the Yankees, and he had several good seasons with the Padres (good case for 1979 NL MVP), and he was never really embraced in New York.

Reggie Jackson and Nolan Ryan come to mind as players wearing caps of teams that they probably aren't most associated with.
                    Not to mention a certain Mr. Spira . . .

Jackson and Ryan really gained a measure of fame in New York and Arlington. Ryan was popular with California and Houston. He became an absolute household name with the Rangers, even if he had better numbers elesewhere. And Jackson was the straw in the biggest after what had to have seemed an eternity between runs. They came close the year before he arrived, they once again were the team when he was there. That goes a long way.

Boggs had no legit argument for Tampa Bay.
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                      Not to mention a certain Mr. Spira . . .

Jackson and Ryan really gained a measure of fame in New York and Arlington. Ryan was popular with California and Houston. He became an absolute household name with the Rangers, even if he had better numbers elesewhere. And Jackson was the straw in the biggest after what had to have seemed an eternity between runs. They came close the year before he arrived, they once again were the team when he was there. That goes a long way.

Boggs had no legit argument for Tampa Bay.
                      The NY media enhanced Jackson's legacy, but he was already the biggest free agent fish out there when he came over - playing in NY didn't make that. He had already won an MVP with the A's, was part of a dynasty that won three straight WS with the A's, was already a 6-time All Star with the A's, won two homerun Titles with the A's, and spent 10 years with the A's. I just don't see how his 5 years with the Yankees trumps that.

As for Ryan, he was at the end of his career by the time he joined the Rangers for his last 5 seasons. I think the notoriety he received then had more to do with how well he pitched at that age, as well his no hitters, than anything really associated with the Rangers. His prime years were spent elsewhere, 8 with the Angels and 9 with the Astros.

Comment

The NY media enhanced Jackson's legacy, but he was already the biggest free agent fish out there when he came over - playing in NY didn't make that. He had already won an MVP with the A's, was part of a dynasty that won three straight WS with the A's, was already a 6-time All Star with the A's, won two homerun Titles with the A's, and spent 10 years with the A's. I just don't see how his 5 years with the Yankees trumps that.

As for Ryan, he was at the end of his career by the time he joined the Rangers for his last 5 seasons. I think the notoriety he received then had more to do with how well he pitched at that age, as well his no hitters, than anything really associated with the Rangers. His prime years were spent elsewhere, 8 with the Angels and 9 with the Astros.
                        Yes, Jackson was. 1969 was a huge year for him and he went from there. But he never would have appeared on The Love Boat if he stayed in Oakland or Baltimore. Or had a nationally-distributed candy bar. He was at his most famous with New York. Same with Ryan. Pat O'Brien would never have talked about him on his music countdown show, he wouldn't have had his own nationally distributed cookies, he didn't have his ever-memorable issue of punching Robin Ventura while he had him in a headlock (and Pudge Rodriguez right behind him but far enough to never be in those pictures) anywhere else but with the Rangers. Two examples of where Q rating superceded accomplishment.

Oh, yeah. What Boggs did was fine. Winfield had a Boston cap in his hand? Why?
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                          Oh, yeah. What Boggs did was fine. Winfield had a Boston cap in his hand? Why?
                          Wasn't that a Yankees cap.

As for Boggs not wearing the Boston hat, I didn't care. Like DoubleX said, Boggs is seen as a footnote. I don't even think Yankee fans cared all that much. At least he didn't throw first pitch with the Yankee HoF'ers. That would have been odd for him and Winfield. In a sense, even Jackson shouldn't. While I remember Jackson for his Yankee days, the man been on a number of teams. Like Winfield and Boggs, I know these players for specific teams, but they don't have a define team. That's what happens when you jump from team to team.

Comment

The Boggs thing didn't really bother me, but I like the way Gary Carter handled it. He was wearing his Expos hat (he's in the HOF as an Expo), but he held up a NY Mets hat when he was introduced.
                            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
                              Wasn't that a Yankees cap.

I missed it but The Kid said Winfield had a Sox cap in his hands. That's very strange.
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X