Wade Boggs last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    I missed it but The Kid said Winfield had a Sox cap in his hands. That's very strange.
    NO NO NO! Carter had an Expo cap on, and carried a Met cap with him. Winfield wore a Padre cap and carried a Yankee cap with him. In other words, the players who went into the HOF under a different team brought along a NY cap if they played for the Mets or Yankees. It would have been cool if Willie Mays wore a NY Giants cap.
    As for Boggs, I missed what he did. I was too busy looking at his hair. He is really getting his moneys worth from that Hairclub For Men procedure.
    http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by parlo View Post
      NO NO NO! Carter had an Expo cap on, and carried a Met cap with him. Winfield wore a Padre cap and carried a Yankee cap with him. In other words, the players who went into the HOF under a different team brought along a NY cap if they played for the Mets or Yankees. It would have been cool if Willie Mays wore a NY Giants cap.
      As for Boggs, I missed what he did. I was too busy looking at his hair. He is really getting his moneys worth from that Hairclub For Men procedure.
      Just what I read here. That makes a lot more sense.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
        The Boggs thing didn't really bother me, but I like the way Gary Carter handled it. He was wearing his Expos hat (he's in the HOF as an Expo), but he held up a NY Mets hat when he was introduced.
        The way Carter and Winfield handled it was pretty cool. But, Boggs still would have had abuse rained upon him for wearing the Bosox cap, even if he had been holding the Yanks cap up when he was introduced.
        It wasn't as cool when Carter told Joe Girardi that there was an urgent phone call for him in the manager's office, then locked him in and tried to take over.
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by parlo View Post
          At least in Carter's case, I don't know if brought the Mets cap just to appease NY, I think he brought it because he'd rather be wearing a Mets cap on his HoF cap. I'm guessing the players had to wear the caps of the team they officially represent in the Hall, and Carter made clear when inducted that he wanted to go in as a Met, rather than with a franchise that would soon cease to exist. The Hall overruled him though. If Ryan is a Ranger, and Jackson is a Yankee, I don't see why Carter can't be a Met?

Winfield may have just been appeasing Yankee fans. He's been a good sport though with the Yankees, showing up for some old timer days, though you couldn't blame him for harboring resentment towards the Yankees and the fans.

Back to Boggs, if this had been at Fenway, I really wonder what cap Boggs would wear? I assume he'd do the classy thing and wear the Sox cap, but I've read he really has some bad feelings towards the Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
            Back to Boggs, if this had been at Fenway, I really wonder what cap Boggs would wear? I assume he'd do the classy thing and wear the Sox cap, but I've read he really has some bad feelings towards the Sox.
            I wonder if Boggs would have shown up at Fenway. He's definitely a high strung individual, and I get the feeling he harbors a deep resentment.
            Interesting that Yaz wasn't there...he's from Long Island, and I thought he still lived somewhere around there. I wonder if the fans would have given him a break for that, though I doubt that many of them would realize he's from NY.
            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
              I wonder if Boggs would have shown up at Fenway. He's definitely a high strung individual, and I get the feeling he harbors a deep resentment.
              Interesting that Yaz wasn't there...he's from Long Island, and I thought he still lived somewhere around there. I wonder if the fans would have given him a break for that, though I doubt that many of them would realize he's from NY.
              Did Boggs show up for the All Century stuff in '99? Of course, he would have the excuse then that he was active and wanted to take the days off.

Some people were upset that former NY greats like Tom Seaver and Duke Snider weren't there. I was pretty impressed though that they got as many as they did.

EDIT: I think the distance between Boggs and the Sox is ashame. I got the feeling when living in Boston and at times on these boards, that Boggs' time with the Sox is almost a footnote, like his time with the Yankees. His place in history has been kind of glossed over.
              Last edited by DoubleX; 07-17-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X