Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny...Please Shut Up...

From BostonHerald.com...
    'Manny Ramirez might get his meeting with John Henry, but the Red Sox [team stats]’ principal owner will have a hard time giving his slugger any sympathy.

Henry responded via e-mail to Ramirez’ statement in The Herald yesterday saying that he hoped for a postseason meeting with ownership to clear up their plans for his future.

“I want no more (expletive) where they tell you one thing and behind your back they do another thing,” Ramirez told The Herald. “I think I’ve earned that respect, for a team to sit down with me and tell me this is what we want, this is what we want to do.”

Last night one of the members of the Red Sox organization Ramirez hoped to meet with, Henry, gave his take.

“I find remarks that we have been anything other than completely straightforward to be personally offensive,” Henry wrote. “Manny has been a crucial part of two world championships. I do not believe we would have won either without him. He has never played a more important role than he has thus far this year.” '

Fine if Manny wants to have a meeting, but that accusation he throws out...is this like when he told his agent he was going to give Boston a year to see if he liked it and just go back to Cleveland if he didn't? Ignoring the fact that it was impossible, he wasn't being very straightforward with the Bosox then...
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

This sounds more like the classic player carping about wanting his upcoming option year to be picked up now rather than waiting until the off-season to find out what the team is going to do.

For $20M the Red Sox might to see a lot more production than Manny has given them this year and last year. Manny will be 37 next and isn't exactly a workout fanatic.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Myeh, not really surprised by any of this... these things involving Manny are a dime a dozen...
      "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by Senor Octobre View Post
        Myeh, not really surprised by any of this... these things involving Manny are a dime a dozen...
        Yeah, you're right, unfortunately. I'm sure the team just ignores him, but they're fighting for first right now...does Manny care about that?

KCGHOST, I must say that everything I've read about Manny tells me that he is an incredibly hard worker. The coaches all say that he shows up to work out and train long before they do. He obviously focuses mostly on his hitting, but he has put in more time on his defense in recent years. He may look like a slob in his uniform, but he really has quite a build.
        That said, I have a hard time seeing the team picking up that very pricey option at his age, unless he has a huge 2nd half and they don't have a replacement for him lined up.
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ramirez is doing every thing you shouldn't do in a season where the team has to decide to pick up a option, a expensive one at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
            Ramirez is doing every thing you shouldn't do in a season where the team has to decide to pick up a option, a expensive one at that.
            Perhaps that's his way of saying something
            Originally posted by bhss89
            "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
            Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
            Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
            Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
              I don't think it's the option he wants, it's a new contract for more money. Why get $20 million when he can get $25-30 Million out of them...
              Best posts ever:
              Originally posted by nymdan
              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I hate how ESPN keeps making this look like the begining of the end for Manny and the Sox.
                "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid View Post
                  I hate how ESPN keeps making this look like the begining of the end for Manny and the Sox.
                  They need something to talk about other than the trades, the Mets win streak, the stinking NL West(sorry fans, it's true), the battle of division leaders this weekend etc....you know, stuff that actually matters now and not in four months.
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                    They need something to talk about other than the trades, the Mets win streak, the stinking NL West(sorry fans, it's true), the battle of division leaders this weekend etc....you know, stuff that actually matters now and not in four months.
                    Nah, it's all about Brett Favre and Alex Rodriguez's failed marriage.

Not just ESPN talking about these, but Boston sport radio stations as well. The talk should die down with the baseball season resuming. Remember, Monday through Thurday this week is the dead period since no major sports in action. Perhaps golf, tennis and NASCAR, but not sure.

Comment

Why is anyone ever surprised by anything Mannys says/does? And why is ESPN acting like he's never acted out before and THIS now means he's gone after this season? Didn't Manny call the FO "white devils" back in the Duquette era?

Aside from that being hilarious, if he wasn't gone after something like that, I doubt this means anything.

He may have been on psychadelics last night when he rolled around on the field though.
                      Originally posted by Domenic
                      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Frankly, I can't believe this soap opera's still going on after all this time. But then, more dysfunctional marriages continue than ones that are less so...

By the way: I'd ration ESPN. It's been discovered that your IQ actually sinks from watching Sportscenter excessively :noidea

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                          Manny will be 37 next and isn't exactly a workout fanatic.

You are completely misinformed here. There are many things you can say about Manny, but him not being a workout fanatic just isn't accurate. He's very much a workout fiend. He's ripped. Criticize him as much as you'd like, but that's just not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager View Post
                            You are completely misinformed here. There are many things you can say about Manny, but him not being a workout fanatic just isn't accurate. He's very much a workout fiend. He's ripped. Criticize him as much as you'd like, but that's just not correct.
                            He's also been known to obsessively work on his hitting, as much or more than anybody in the majors.
                            "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Forgive KCGHOST, he likes to make generalizations about players even if they're no where near true.
                              Originally posted by Domenic
                              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X