Manny...Please Shut Up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Senor Octobre View Post
    He's also been known to obsessively work on his hitting, as much or more than anybody in the majors.
    It's his attitude in Spring Training that gives him that reputation...he's taking things easy while others are working hard, but he doesn't need the training like they may need so why should he go all out in the Spring when he is already in game form?
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
      I don't think it's the option he wants, it's a new contract for more money. Why get $20 million when he can get $25-30 Million out of them...
      he doesnt want more money, he simply wants to retire in Boston.. he said that earlier this year.. he also mentioned how he wants to reach 600 homeruns and possibly 3,000 hits and would love to do it in Boston.. I honestly dont think its about the money and if the RedSox were smart, they BETTER pick up his option or you're going to see him wearing pinstripes, guaranteed.
      GO REDSOX AND BREWERS!!!
      I collect: Manny Ramirez (#1 priority), Wily Mo Pena, Prince Fielder & Ryan Braun!!
      Check my PROFILE for my Trade Site!!

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post

For $20M the Red Sox might to see a lot more production than Manny has given them this year and last year. Manny will be 37 next and isn't exactly a workout fanatic.

a lot more production?? he's going to hit his 30+ and 100+, which is what he's done for the past 12 years (except for last year, which he would have too if not for the injury) along with hitting around .300

isnt exactly a workout fanatic??

he's one of the hardest workers in the game and if i was ANY hitter, i'd take after him and what he does.. When Wily Mo Pena was there, i prayed that he would be smart and maybe work out with Manny and learn from him, evidently he didnt... Can you imagine Pena with Manny's skills? Think of Barry Bonds without needing steroids..

As I said in the other post, he wants to retire in Boston and simply would LIKE to see it done asap; which happens to a lot of guys and you cant blame them for that, they want security. He came into this year in the best shape of his career to prove that last year was a fluke, he also mentioned how he wants to hit 600 homeruns, possibly 3,000 hits and wants to do it in a Sox uniform..

and also like i said, if Boston dont pick up his option, then I GUARANTEE you see him wearing pinstripes next year.
        GO REDSOX AND BREWERS!!!
        I collect: Manny Ramirez (#1 priority), Wily Mo Pena, Prince Fielder & Ryan Braun!!
        Check my PROFILE for my Trade Site!!

Comment

Originally posted by MRamirez24 View Post
          and also like i said, if Boston dont pick up his option, then I GUARANTEE you see him wearing pinstripes next year.
          I can see Hank Steinbrenner loving that idea, but I think that Cashman would fight it tooth and nail.
          If you sign Manny to a 4 year deal after this season, you're investing in a 37 to 40 year old player. Ignoring Barry Bonds and what most people suspect was behind his late career resurgence, that's putting money into a declining stock.
          Theo has said that he sees a lack of sentimentality as being essential to his job..."you can't fall in love with any particular player," something like that. If Manny keeps up his production this season, he might force Theo's hand and get his next option year picked up. If he has another big year, it might happen again. I don't see any rational GM giving Manny a big 4 year deal at his age. Don't think that I hate middle aged guys...I'm a little older than Manny (and also have a balky knee that troubles me in LF sometimes).
          :cap:
          Manny is a 100% HOFer, but's he also getting close to the end of any natural ballplayer's career. This isn't the time to throw huge long-term money at him. The team has two short-term options with him, and they have every right to do what they want with them. This is the deal Manny agreed to...if he starts beyotching and whining for more money and more years, shame on him for being greedy with a team that will have paid him $160million by the end of this season.
          Last edited by hellborn; 07-23-2008, 08:08 AM.
          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Manny's production has fallen off noticeably the last two years. After eight straight seasons of having an OPS from .980 and up, he is now down to .880+. 100 points of OPS is a lot. Now that is still good production, but it is not the production level of prior years. He did not get his 30/100 last year and he isn't even close to it this year.

I guess I should have been clearer when I mentioned Manny is not a workout fanatic. I am well aware of the media reports of how hard Manny works at his baseball craft. I meant physical fitness. I have never heard a single media type discuss this type of working out. And he sure doesn't look like he does. he may be strong (no doubt) but I really suspect his conditioning.

But all that's neither here nor there. All I ventured was an "opinion" that he is acting like a player who is wanting his options picked up sooner rather than later.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Manny's OPS is about .930 at the moment, and he seems to be on pace for 30-100 if he stays healthy. I would suspect that next season would be more like the last one than this one for him, though. Even this season is clearly not vintage Manny.
              I know that Manny is a dedicated lifter, but don't know how committed he is to cardiovascular fitness and flexibility. He looks to be in better shape than Papi to me, at least.

I guess my big issue with Manny now is that he's pushing the team to go the extra mile and do something extraordinary for him, after regularly dissing that same team and its fans over the years. Yeah, Manny signed a contract with those option years, but, well, now he wants 4 more years, so give it to him. At least this is replacing the yearly trade requests.
              Manny...I repeat...
              "YOU WERE PUT ON WAIVERS, AND NOBODY WANTED YOU...PLEASE JUST PLAY HARD FOR YOUR $20MILLION!"
              Last edited by hellborn; 07-23-2008, 10:47 AM. Reason: eliminate redundancies
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by MRamirez24 View Post
                he doesnt want more money, he simply wants to retire in Boston.. he said that earlier this year.. he also mentioned how he wants to reach 600 homeruns and possibly 3,000 hits and would love to do it in Boston.. I honestly dont think its about the money and if the RedSox were smart, they BETTER pick up his option or you're going to see him wearing pinstripes, guaranteed.
                You're delusional if you don't think it has anything to do with money. How do you think he ended up in Boston in the first place?

Comment

After eight straight seasons of having an OPS from .980 and up, he is now down to .880+. 100 points of OPS is a lot. Now that is still good production, but it is not the production level of prior years. He did not get his 30/100 last year and he isn't even close to it this year.
                  Actually he's got an OPS of .932 and he's on pace for 31/101 . Whether or not he keeps up his production remains to be seen, but he's still clearly one of the better hitters in the game. I'm not saying that he's going to be worth 20 million-per over the next 4 years, but his production at the moment surely merits his option being picked up... that is, as long as he stays out of trouble regarding traveling secretaries and what not.
                  "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Manny seems to be taking "Manny being Manny" to a whole new level. Specifically, if he wants his option picked up, it's a puzzling move if he bailed on Friday's night game to send a message to Sox brass.

Does he want his option picked up, does he want to be traded, does he want to become a free agent? I question whether even Manny knows at this point. Unfortunately he's only got a few days to figure it out for the sake of he and the team.

I see the post game interviews with Papi and Lowell and wonder if he's worn out his welcome in the clubhouse as well. If so and he's open to a trade, they should aggressively pursue that option. Although Holliday's name has been thrown around quite a bit, I wonder if Pat Burrell may be a better option. In the final year of his contract, assuming the Phillies were unlikely to re-sign him, they presumbly get an upgrade in Manny to sandwich between Utley and Howard for a playoff run. Boston replaces Manny's bat, hopefully less of a distraction and a two month audition to decide whether they want to sign him long term.

Of course, this is all wild speculation. Manny has to be willing to waive his 10/5 rights and any condition of a trade contingent upon his option(s) being picked up. Next, Philly has to want to roll the dice with Manny. Last, and most importantly, Burrell needs to waive his full no trade clause which may be unlikely if he's happy in Philly and unwilling to come to Boston (initially drafted by the Sox in the 43rd round, I recall reading that he was low balled which may have burned a bridge).
                    Last edited by mg050369; 07-27-2008, 09:46 AM. Reason: grammatical and new info

Comment

Manny's production has fallen off noticeably the last two years. After eight straight seasons of having an OPS from .980 and up, he is now down to .880+. 100 points of OPS is a lot. Now that is still good production, but it is not the production level of prior years. He did not get his 30/100 last year and he isn't even close to it this year.

I guess I should have been clearer when I mentioned Manny is not a workout fanatic. I am well aware of the media reports of how hard Manny works at his baseball craft. I meant physical fitness. I have never heard a single media type discuss this type of working out. And he sure doesn't look like he does. he may be strong (no doubt) but I really suspect his conditioning.

But all that's neither here nor there. All I ventured was an "opinion" that he is acting like a player who is wanting his options picked up sooner rather than later.
                      he spent the entire off season at the Performance Lab in Arizona...which is a program 100% geared twards improving fitness, core, agility etc. So you are wrong again. Keep reaching with general opinions and dont base them on facts or anything. Just say he looks like a turd in his uniform and leave it at that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X