No announcement yet.

Nomar a Cub???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe there will be another curse next to the Bambino's curse.

So probably the Cubs will win 23 World Series this century to get even with the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
      Hey all--
      I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to say that I joined because after reading a lot of the posts, I felt like you all actually had discussion about baseball, and not just ego stuff, so thanks for providing that.

I wanted to say about this thread: Although I agree with pesky about Nomar and the trade, VTSoxFan is a good exampe of what true Red Sox fans are all about...faith, openness and integrity. You saw Nomar as the face of the team, and you are genuinely hurt by his absence. While I do think that there was no hope of resigning him after this year (and yes, I think it was on his end), I'm not sure there are a lot of fans out there that are still willing to see baseball as so much more than a business. You're so hurt because you care so much...good for you.
      Thanks, SoxSon... and welcome to the forums

I guess I was, and am, disillusioned by the way the business end of this Trade was orchestrated. I don't think it was done on the up-and-up, and that bugs me. I'm very very VERY happy it's working out for everybody, because I didn't expect it to; I'm not not one to curse the sunshine and wish for rain because I'm in a bad mood. I am beside myself at the caliber of play over the last month, and while I know the defense has been bolstered by the players acquired in The Trade, I think they could have gone on such an offensive tear even if it hadn't taken place. Either-Or, we'd be winning.

I do care... probably too much, because it's just a game, right? (HA! )
      --Annie
      Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
      Remember Yellowdog
      ABNY

Comment

Now here is a question for you.

Do you think the Sox should try and sign Cabrerra?

He turned down 5yrs for 30 Mil from the expos but that may have had more to do with the relocation issue.

Comment

To mikey: It makes no sense to try and sign Cabrera now. If he sucks wind in the postseason, good riddance; if he keeps playing like this, we'll win the World Series and he'll be begging to stay.

VTSoxFan: I think it's better that Nomar's gone (for everyone...actually, if you notice, players are starting to comment on it a little to Shaughnessy :sp?). However, you are absolutely right about the offense...I hope we all keep in mind the monster that was last year's lineup. The differences this year are Schlling, Foulke, MUCH tighter defense (therefore reinventing Lowe) and Francona's recent willingness to yank pitchers. For those that now deem Nomar as a "cancer," though, they really should look back to last year and rethink that conclusion.
          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by mikey_s
            Now here is a question for you.

Do you think the Sox should try and sign Cabrerra?

He turned down 5yrs for 30 Mil from the expos but that may have had more to do with the relocation issue.
            Yes they should try to resign him, but I'd like to see them wait until the season is over. Unless he would be agreeable to a reasonable contract, thus avoiding any sort of bidding war.

He's been hitting much better since getting comfortable in the Sox line-up, and is a gold glove caliber shortstop. The Sox could do alot worse.

I say sign him, but only if the price is right. There's a couple other guys I'd like to see them re-sign first
            Ken :gt

Comment

Even with the warm reception he has had at Chicago, I find it hard to believe that he will stay there after the year is over. I read somewhere before the trade was even made that he turned down the RedSox's offer because he ultimately wanted to go West. I still think that is his intentions (if that wasn't just a rumor) and I hope he does well where ever he ends up (as long as it is not with the Cubs)
              You still think those are his intentions? It's a rumor so far... you want to think that. I think Renteria's intentions are to sign with the Cubs if there's an opening at SS after the season.
              Last edited by burger eater; 09-04-2004, 08:39 AM.
              beware of the censorship police

Comment

You still think those are his intentions? It's a rumor so far... you want to think that. I think Renteria's intentions are to sign with the Cubs if there's an opening at SS after the season.
                Yes I still think he is headed out west. And if Edgar does sign with the Cubs I would feel better if that happened rather than Nomar staying for a couple of reasons.

1.) I am a huge fan of Nomar and seeing him play for the Cubs right now is killing me

2.) Edgar versus Nomar is defense versus offense and I think I would rather see the Cubs aquire more defense than offense since that won't make a huge difference with thier current roster. Nomar is MVP caliber, Edgar is a good team player and great defender. Either way you upgrade from what you had at the beginning of the season, but the Cubs biggest issue this year has been health and pitching not living up to expectations. Edgar or Nomar won't help them in any of those categories.
                Go crazy folks. Go crazy!

-Jack Buck on Ozzie Smith's game winning home run in Game 5 of the 85 playoffs.

Comment

I think he's staying in Chicago and I think Renteria's staying in St. Louis.
                  Nomar wanted to be a Cub, so if you still want to be a fan of Nomar, you gotta be a fan of the Cubs... sorry. I like the Cardinals, especially Kline for flipping off Larussa.
                  beware of the censorship police

Comment

Really?

And all this time I thought Nomar went to the Cubs because Theo had traded him there. Sarcasm aside, Nomar had no control over where he was going. He didn't have a no-trade clause, either. And FWIW, I don't think Nomar will stay in Chicago, unless they pony up with some FAT cash. IMHO, he's heading west.

Comment

Any of you posters wish to take back your comments about the 2004 World Champion Red Sox?
                      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X