Batting Order by Baseball Musings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting Order by Baseball Musings

They have this little program at baseballmusings.com where you put in names, OBP, and SLG % and they'll give you what batting order would give you the most runs. Here's what I got with the current lineup...

1. Manny Ramirez
    2. J.D. Drew
    3. Jacoby Ellsbury
    4. Kevin Youkilis
    5. Dustin Pedroia
    6. Coco Crisp/Mike Lowell*
    7. Coco Crisp/Mike Lowell*
    8. Jason Varitek
    9. Julio Lugo

*Same amount of runs with guys in either spot.

Take out Lugo and plug in Lowrie, take out Coco and plug in Ortiz...

1. Manny Ramirez
    2. J.D. Drew
    3. Jed Lowrie
    4. Kevin Youkilis
    5. Dustin Pedroia
    6. Mike Lowell
    7. David Ortiz
    8. Jason Varitek
    9. Jacoby Ellsbury
    Originally posted by Domenic
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

I forgot to say they also give worst lineups, with the worst one being...

1. Mike Lowell
    2. Jason Varitek
    3. David Ortiz
    4. Jacoby Ellsbury
    5. Jed Lowrie
    6. Manny Ramirez
    7. Dustin Pedroia
    8. J.D. Drew
    9. Kevin Youkilis

The best lineup created 5.857 runs per game, and the worst scored 5.417.

Take into account this is based on 2008 stats of these players up to today.
    Originally posted by Domenic
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Lineup creation has always fascinated me. I bought 'The Book' just for its chapter on lineups and how to best construct one.

In general, I find the AL use of the two hole the most annoying. Nobody uses the hit and run or steals but they want a #2 who can work the count and put the ball in play. Foolish thinking unless you actively take advantage of those strengths.

I also think that the worth of a traditional leadoff hitter is not nearly what it is perceived to be.

The fault of these programs is that interrelatedness of the hitters. Manny gets Papi pitches to hit, Drew can lack aggressiveness so its better for him to hit in front of RBI guys, Tek is a double play machine, etc, etc. Thats why programs VS tradition makes for such a great debate.

I'll have to check out the baseballmusings site for the program... thanks for the heads up Westlake.

Comment

Cool. I'll have to on that site someday
        Join Pigskin Fever Today and tell 'em packersfan reffered you when you register!

Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and Fourm FAQ before posting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X