SS Gonzalez not fairing to well in ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Gonzalez not fairing to well in ST

Newly signed SS Alex Gonzalez isn't doing well in Spring Training holding a .130 Batting AVG.
    I hope the Sox will resolve this problem by either calling up SS/3b Dustin Pedroia or acquiring a SS for either Clement or Wells . What do you guys think ???
    Last edited by TheKingofKings; 03-18-2006, 05:47 PM.

Its still early and only spring training but that is not a good sign. I think they will still stick with him. Kind of ironic though because our top short stop prospect hanley ramirez is gone. I think we should still have Edgar Renteria. He was a much better SS than Alex Gonzalez. The Red Sox should have given Edgar more of a chance because he most likley would have been more comfortable in boston this year and probably would have performed better. But whats done is done. Hopefully Alex Gonzalez will settle down because we do not have a whole lot of options at short.
    Last edited by RedSoxVT92; 03-18-2006, 05:46 PM.
    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
      Its still early and only spring training But that is not a good sign. I think they will still stick with him. Kind of ironic though because our top short stop prospect hanley ramirez is gone. I think we should still have Edgar Renteria. He was a much better SS than Alex Gonzalez. The Red Sox should have given Edgar more of a chance because he most likley would have been more comfortable in boston this year and probably would have performed better. But whats done is done. Hopefully Alex Gonzalez will settle down because we do not have a whole lot of options at short.
      What do you mean , there are only 2 weeks left before opening day and it is a big concern since he is batting against minor league pitchers who are trying to make it to the major league squad and he can only fair a .130 BA% , man what a bad idea to get rid of Renteria but we had to do it to get Coco.

Comment

Originally posted by whosyourpapi
        What do you mean , there are only 2 weeks left before opening day and it is a big concern since he is batting against minor league pitchers who are trying to make it to the major league squad and he can only fair a .130 BA% , man what a bad idea to get rid of Renteria but we had to do it to get Coco.
        Well spring training stats dont always count for alot. The average is dismal but I still think that he will still be the short stop this year. I think when it gets to the regular season he will settle down and perform well. If he doesnt and plays horrible during the season then we have a big concern at short. But there is always Alex Cora or Tony Graffino that can fill in for Gonzalez if he bats in the .100's during the up coming season.
        Last edited by RedSoxVT92; 03-18-2006, 05:59 PM.
        go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Well spring training stats dont always count for alot. The average is dismal but I still think that he will still be the short stop this year. I think when it gets to the regular season he will settle down and perform well. If he doesnt and plays horrible during the season then we have a big concern at short. But there is always Alex Cora or Tony Graffino that can fill in for Gonzalez if he bats .130 during the up coming season.
          Yah even Ron Callaway is batting over .200 , i think he should be a concern even though he is sure to start up until the Trade Deadline where there , the Sox will try to get a better SS for Clement or Wells

Comment

there should be not concern...do not expect anything from him offensively. He is there for his glove and the run he saves will make up for the batting.

Comment

Pedroia hasn't really had many ABs this spring, so that's not a good sign at all for him making the team out of Spring Training. In fact, he's only had 1 AB, it's a safe bet that he won't be making the Opening Day Roster.

Alex Cora has only had 4 ABs, was he injured? If he gets significant work over the next few weeks and shows that he's ready, he could move into the starting SS spot, but I'd say he's a longshot right now, and probably a longshot to even make the roster.

Graffanino has played some SS in his career, and he might be a good temporary option out there. Graffanino is great to have on the bench, but I wouldn't want him starting for an entire season.

That leaves Alejandro Machado? Why aren't Sox fans talking more about him? He's 24, he leads the Sox in ABs this spring, and he's hitting .303. The only downside is that he hasn't flashed much power this spring with only 2 extra base hits. Still, the fact that he has had the most ABs this spring shows that the Sox are probably seriously considering him, though I'd still say the smart money is on the veteran Gonzalez. Gonzalez will likely be an albatross at the bottom of the Sox lineup, if he hits more than .260 and 10 homeruns for the season the Sox should consider themselves lucky. If he is the Opening Day SS, I don't expect him to be come September, as I think Pedroia or Machado or some trade will have supplanted him.

As for Edgar Renteria, I think he would have improved in his second season with the Sox as his comfort level would have increased. I thought he was extremely overrated before he came to the Sox, but he is a good all-around SS and is miles better than Alex Gonzalez. But I suppose Sox fans can essentially consider trading Renteria for Coco Crisp, and I think Crisp will work out very nicely for the Sox.
              Last edited by DoubleX; 03-19-2006, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                Pedroia hasn't really had many ABs this spring, so that's not a good sign at all for him making the team out of Spring Training. In fact, he's only had 1 AB, it's a safe bet that he won't be making the Opening Day Roster.

Alex Cora has only had 4 ABs, was he injured? If he gets significant work over the next few weeks and shows that he's ready, he could move into the starting SS spot, but I'd say he's a longshot right now, and probably a longshot to even make the roster.
                Both Pedroia and Cora were injured at the World Baseball Classic. The bad thing about the WBC.
                go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Both Pedroia and Cora were injured at the World Baseball Classic. The bad thing about the WBC.
                  Just goes to show you how important the WBC is to players of other nationalities. Guys like Pedroia and Cora needed to be in Spring Training to really have a chance to compete for a roster spot, but being at the WBC has really hurt their chances. I'm sure they realized the risks heading into the WBC and decided to put country first.

Comment

I think any worry about Gonzalez is jumping the gun a bit...sure opening day is in two weeks (yippee!), but it's only spring training...he's a great defensive shortstop who does hit that much. Saying that Renteria is a much better shortstop, I don't buy it...Renteria is a much better hitter for average, Gonzalez is miles ahead defensively (especially compared to Renteria in 2005), and I imagine their power numbers will be similar in Fenway.

I mean, if spring training stats are something to really worry about, shouldn't Arroyo be in the minors, Machado batting cleanup, and Franconia fired (the teams record is lousy)?

Next time Gonzalez goes 0-4 and plays flawless defense, think about whether it's any worse than when Renteria went 1-4 with an error.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

When was Gonzalez brought in for offense? If you're going to worry, then worry if Gonzalez is making a lot of errors this Spring Training, not about his bat.

As for Edgar, didn't seem like he wanted to stay. As soon as he was dealt, he complain about Fenway being a good reason why he made so many errors. Granted, Edgar must have not notice he made 15 errors at Fenway and 15 errors on the road. Probably behide scenes, Edgar was telling management he wanted out. We don't know everything going on with players, unless it becomes public. When you really look at it, we really dealt Edgar to get Coco.

Comment

Is there anyone esle here that feels Cora or Pedroia will end up taking the majority of playing time if this offensive trend continues?
                        Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ESPNFan
                          Is there anyone esle here that feels Cora or Pedroia will end up taking the majority of playing time if this offensive trend continues?
                          I do not think so because i think the Sox will try to acquire a Starting SS . Cora is not ment to be a starter he is either a UTIL or a BN player but not a starter and Pedroia will come up next year , not this one , he has to mature a little bit before entering the BIG Leagues.

Comment

I think that the sox are going to stick with Gonzalez simply because even though he has not been doing well at the plate he is on fire in the field and that is primarily why the Sox picked him up. Hopefully though It will not come to having to just accept this low output at the plate and Pappa Jack can wrestle a few more points out of his average.
                            My Red Sox Blog - Please check it out and comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ordway
                              I think that the sox are going to stick with Gonzalez simply because even though he has not been doing well at the plate he is on fire in the field and that is primarily why the Sox picked him up. Hopefully though It will not come to having to just accept this low output at the plate and Pappa Jack can wrestle a few more points out of his average.
                              They signed him for the same reason as Rebteria and look what happened to him , he failed expectations and was shipped to Atlanta .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X