X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronson Arroyo traded to Reds for Willy Mo Pena

Reds acquire Bronson Arroyo
    Wily Mo Pena sent to Boston for starting pitcher

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired RHP Bronson Arroyo and cash from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for OF Wily Mo Pena.

Arroyo, 29, went 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA in 35 games (32 starts) for the Red Sox last season. He established career highs in wins (14), starts (32) and innings pitched (205.1) while producing a team-high 20 quality starts.

Arroyo has appeared in the postseason in each of the last three seasons, including as a member of the 2004 World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Originally selected by the Pirates in the third round of the June 1995 draft, Arroyo owns a career record of 33-33 with a 4.59 ERA in 126 games (90 starts) with Pittsburgh (2000-02) and Boston (2003-05).

Pena, 24, batted .248 with 51 HR and 134 RBI in 302 games with the Reds from 2002-05.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

AARRRGHRHGRHGRGHRGHRHGRHGR!

Arroyo AND CASH for a backup outfielder with a career .248 average?!?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by VTSoxFan; 03-20-2006, 09:33 AM.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

Sorry you're not too enthused about this news, Annie.

How was Bronson doing in ST?

I see you folks have acquired a Yankee farmhand. Was the Boston FO worried about their OF bench?
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I think it's a great trade for the Sox. Pena is young (24), has very good power (45 homeruns in his last 647 ABs), and can play all three OF spots. This could signal the beginning of the end for Trot Nixon as an everyday player in Boston.

I also like the trade because the Sox were dealing from a position of surplus. The team had 7 viable starters, and Arroyo might be the worst of them all, so it made sense to deal from that position. Now Papelbon should slide right into the rotation as soon as someone goes down (and that will probably be early in the season).

Comment

Arroyo wasn't doing stellar in ST -- but yesterday's start was very very good, perhaps because he was working with Varitek for the first time this year...

No, I'm not happy about it. We also just signed Juan "I'll get injured getting off the bus at training camp" Gonzalez.

Godamighty. Why couldn't they trade Wells, who WANTED to be traded, and demanded to be traded? Nah, trade away the young stock. Trade away the guy who signed a 3 year deal 2 months ago because he wanted to stay,, and said he valued loyalty over money. :grouchy
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
            Arroyo wasn't doing stellar in ST -- but yesterday's start was very very good, perhaps because he was working with Varitek for the first time this year...

No, I'm not happy about it. We also just signed Juan "I'll get injured getting off the bus at training camp" Gonzalez.

Godamighty. Why couldn't they trade Wells, who WANTED to be traded, and demanded to be traded? Nah, trade away the young stock. Trade away the guy who signed a 3 year deal 2 months ago because he wanted to stay,, and said he valued loyalty over money. :grouchy
            I'm guessing they were looking for Wells as a 2006-only option, since I doubt he'd return in 2007. Perhaps they viewed Arroyo's 3-year deal in the same light as Renteria's, in that they weren't expecting as much of him in the future.

I thought that Arroyo was supposed to be their #4 or #5 starter.

Pena may be good to have on the bench, but unless they've got worries about someone spelling Crisp and/or Nixon out there, I'm not sure I'd trade a home-grown starting pitcher for him.

Baseball can be a strange thing at times.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
              I think it's a great trade for the Sox. Pena is young (24), has very good power (45 homeruns in his last 647 ABs), and can play all three OF spots. This could signal the beginning of the end for Trot Nixon as an everyday player in Boston.

I also like the trade because the Sox were dealing from a position of surplus. The team had 7 viable starters, and Arroyo might be the worst of them all, so it made sense to deal from that position. Now Papelbon should slide right into the rotation as soon as someone goes down (and that will probably be early in the season).
              You'd mentioned in the Yankee forum of being a fan of Willy. How's his glove, speed? What about him did you like that made you want him back?

Comment

In the words of Tim McCarver...."Goodbye Brandon."

At least we won't have to hear McCarver butcher his name anymore.
                1903 - 1912 - 1915 - 1916 - 1918 - 2004 - 2007 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  You'd mentioned in the Yankee forum of being a fan of Willy. How's his glove, speed? What about him did you like that made you want him back?
                  I mentioned that? He is a former Yankees farm-hand, traded to the Reds for Drew Henson (after Henson was traded to the Reds for Denny Neagle).

Pena has very good power, but he has yet to really hit for average and he strikesout A LOT! 116 times in 311 ABS last year - almost 40% of the time.

I think he has decent speed and could be good for 10-12 SBs over a full season.

His glove must be fairly decent as he has played all OF positions including a good chunk in CF. If Griffey were to go down (which does happen from time to time), Pena was next in line for CF, and he probably would have been the Reds CFer if not for Griffey being the man.

Overall, Pena's value is in his power. He's never had more than 336 ABs in a season (2004), but he hit 26 homeruns in that season. Over a full season, his BA might go up and his strikeout rate might go down. One has to wonder about the Reds farm system - Dunn, Kearns, Pena, are all essentially the same type of player. Good power, low average, high strikeout totals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                    Reds acquire Bronson Arroyo
                    Wily Mo Pena sent to Boston for starting pitcher

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired RHP Bronson Arroyo and cash from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for OF Wily Mo Pena.

Arroyo, 29, went 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA in 35 games (32 starts) for the Red Sox last season. He established career highs in wins (14), starts (32) and innings pitched (205.1) while producing a team-high 20 quality starts.

Arroyo has appeared in the postseason in each of the last three seasons, including as a member of the 2004 World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Originally selected by the Pirates in the third round of the June 1995 draft, Arroyo owns a career record of 33-33 with a 4.59 ERA in 126 games (90 starts) with Pittsburgh (2000-02) and Boston (2003-05).

Pena, 24, batted .248 with 51 HR and 134 RBI in 302 games with the Reds from 2002-05.
                    Great trade for the Sox, now I assume they'd start Pena over Nixon and swap him for some pitching.
                    Pena has big tiem potential.

Good job Theo!
                    Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                      Great trade for the Sox, now I assume they'd start Pena over Nixon and swap him for some pitching.
                      Pena has big tiem potential.

Good job Theo!
                      I think it's a good move for us as well. Pena has tons of potential.
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Theo with the OPS+ thinking

Hey, if you love sabermetrics you love this trade

If you love baseball, chemistry and the fact that Arroyo has shown to not be rattled in big games...this is a horrible trade for the Red Sox

Pena is not a good baseball player

Comment

At first this deal kinda shocked me, as the Sox have been spending a lot of energy trying to move Wells and Clement, with the intent to move Arroyo into the rotation. But the more I think about it, it makes a lot of sense.

A few thoughts:

- The Sox have too many starters.

- Arroyo has more trade value than Wells (age) or Clement (contract).

- Arroyo isn't THAT young...he's already 29, and Boston has Papelbon and Lester knocking on the door.

- Pena is young and ready for a shot at playing every day. He'll probably platoon with Trot this year, and replace him next year (Nixon is a free agent). One of them could also see some time at 1st this year.

Arroyo is really only a 4th or 5th starter (and this year, probably would have started in the pen), but he was a good guy to have on the team...solid, and good with the fans. He was the only player to accompany the trophy to Providence, RI when they brought it down here. He got mobbed, but seemed to love it. He also signed a below-market 3-year deal this offseason hoping to stay in Boston. He'll be missed.

But welcome to Boston, Wily Mo!
                          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Pena has a lot of power in his swing... even if the bat doesn't hit the ball. This is a good trade for both teams. Arroyo might not even get a rotation job with BOS and this opens the door for Ryan Freel to start in left or 2B.
                            The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
                            Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Originally posted by Imapotato
                              Theo with the OPS+ thinking

Hey, if you love sabermetrics you love this trade

If you love baseball, chemistry and the fact that Arroyo has shown to not be rattled in big games...this is a horrible trade for the Red Sox

Pena is not a good baseball player
                              How can you talk like Arroyo is a big game pitcher? I saw him pitch really well against the Angels in the '04 ALDS, only to have Timlin give away the lead to set up Papi's shot...but, he was HORRIBLE against the Yanks. He started the Game 3 blowout and got banished to the pen. Despite the purse slap groundout by ARod, Bronson had an ERA of almost 8 that '04 postseason, and about 7.5 for his postseason career. I think of him as being a playoff dud, like Tavarez.
                              Pena is young and was playing some ML ball at 19, has monster power but poor strike zone judgment. He has time to develop at only 24. Could be a serious power hitter, probably not a .400 OBP guy.
                              Arroyo is a mature pitcher, what he's done recently is what you get. OK to fill a rotation, but please note how low his strikeout rate dropped last year. He can have great games when his control is good, and his stuff is OK, but he seems to tip his breaking stuff at times and likes to hang sliders.
                              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X