2009 Projected Red Sox minor league rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
    Just a little nitpick: Kottaras is on the 40-man toster.

He appears on the Pawtucket roster above. There are 15 players on the 40-man roster who will be playing in the minors or will be on the DL.

Comment

Projected rosters has been updated

Comment

If the starting catcher we have is righthanded, or is Varitek, Kottaras is more likely to be the backup and Brown the guy who chiils at Paw. Not because he's the less talented catcher but because of a slight matchup advantage in a situation where all else is more or less equal. If it's another RHH, Kot would get playing opportunities against RHP, if it's Tek, he still might because that's Tek's weak side and playing it that way should improve Varitek's offensive #'s.

Kottaras is also the catcher who, if he does hit well, would be easiest to transition into a starting or near-starting role, simply by pleading the matchup.
        Last edited by Imgran; 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
          If the starting catcher we have is righthanded, or is Varitek, Kottaras is more likely to be the backup and Brown the guy who chiils at Paw. Not because he's the less talented catcher but because of a slight matchup advantage in a situation where all else is more or less equal. If it's another RHH, Kot would get playing opportunities against RHP, if it's Tek, he still might because that's Tek's weak side and playing it that way should improve Varitek's offensive #'s.

Kottaras is also the catcher who, if he does hit well, would be easiest to transition into a starting or near-starting role, simply by pleading the matchup.
          One more time we disagree, Brown is the better catchers of the two, better receiver, more agile and the better arm, there are question if Kottaras can catch at the ML level. Brown may not have the power bat of kottaras, but has improved his hitting the last two years to the point that its the better hitter of the two.

Comment

Mark Wagner is better than both of them.
            Ellsbury SB: 54

Comment

Originally posted by SoxFan68 View Post
              Mark Wagner is better than both of them.
              Wagner took a couple of steps backward in 2008 at Portland, there still a very good chance he will be playing at Pawtucket in 2009 sharing the position with Kottaras, however he is third behind Exposito and Brown when it comes as the catching prospects in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by scaffolds View Post
                Wagner took a couple of steps backward in 2008 at Portland, there still a very good chance he will be playing at Pawtucket in 2009 sharing the position with Kottaras, however he is third behind Exposito and Brown when it comes as the catching prospects in the system.
                I keep forgetting that Brown is as young as he is...he's 26, turns 27 in June of '09...certainly not "top prospect" young, but certainly not a guy like Cash who's more of a journeyman.

I got to watch Brown a lot at Pawtucket this year, and I think he could step in and do a solid job either teamed with Tek or another catcher in Boston in 2009. Because of his solid defense, I think he's a bit more ready for the big leagues than Kottaras, who's defense and on base ability aren't nearly as good as his power.

Brown took a big step forward in '08 with the bat, putting up a nice .290/.377/.471 line with the Pawsox. He obviously wouldn't hit quite that well in the majors, but he IS entering his prime and Boston could do a lot worse than Brown behind the plate.

I'm interested to see how Exposito does in '09...he's the one who's probably the Sox "catcher of the future" if you asked all the scouts right now.
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X