Last Member of the 2004 Red Sox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Member of the 2004 Red Sox?

According to my count, there are 11 players still on the Red Sox roster who played in at least one game for the Sox in 2004:

Abe Alvarez
    Lenny DiNardo
    Keith Foulke
    Curt Schilling
    Mike Timlin
    Tim Wakefield
    Jason Varitek
    Kevin Youkilis
    Trot Nixon
    Manny Ramirez
    David Ortiz

Plus, Gabe Kapler, who is not officially on the roster, is still with the Red Sox

Based on this, any thoughts as to who will end up being the last player from the 2004 championship team who will still be playing for the Red Sox? Foulke, Nixon, and Manny (especially Foulke and Manny) appear to be gone once their contracts are up, Schilling, Timlin, and Wakefield are all getting up there in age, which leaves Alvarez, DiNardo, Youkilis, Varitek, and Ortiz. I can't picture DiNardo being with the club for a very long period of time, so do you think the last player will be one of the 2004 rookies (Alvarez or Youkilis) or will it be Varitek or Ortiz, both of whom appear to be with Boston for a while?
    "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

I would pick Ortiz to be with the Red Sox for the longest out of the 2004 champs. Ortiz wants to stay in Boston and he has thrived in a red sox uniform. The Red Sox need to lock him up for a while still because he could be offered a whole lot of money which would be hard to refuse. And the thought of him in a Yankee uniform would make me sick. Varitek will probably stay here for a while also but he is older than Ortiz. So if the Red Sox are smart we will have big papi for a long time.
    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Alvarez still has yet to make it with Boston, he's been up and down since his first game. Same with DiNardo.

Don't forget that Varitek's contract only runs through 2008, so he could be gone after that year alongside Manny.

Wakefield will likely retire as a member of the Red Sox. He may be at 40 years old but he is still going strong. I doubt he will retire before 2009 or 2010.
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

There are questions surrounding all of these players. Age for many, injuries for some (Nixon), and questions about whether the young guys will be able to stick around for long enough. All things considered, I actually think that Varitek might be the last. If not, I'd go with Ortiz, but I don't envision him aging well given his frame. Cecil Fielder and Mo Vaughn were both out of the game by age 35.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
          Cecil Fielder and Mo Vaughn were both out of the game by age 35.
          I was thinking the same thing; that Ortiz reminds me a little too much of Mo Vaughn.
          "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

whoa, I was just thinking of posting a topic like that. IMHO I would have to say Timlin or Nixon.

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
              whoa, I was just thinking of posting a topic like that. IMHO I would have to say Timlin or Nixon.
              Timlin's 40 years old. He's still going strong, but I can't seem him still in the game in a few years. I have a feel that Nixon's time with the team is growing short.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Casey
                I was thinking the same thing; that Ortiz reminds me a little too much of Mo Vaughn.
                Hopefully, being a DH will help Ortiz stick around a bit longer than the other guys...Mo was originally hurt falling in the dugout going after a foul pop-up, I believe. Not sure what eventually felled Fielder.

For reference, their size, from baseball-reference:

Ortiz: 6'4" 230
                Vaughn 6'1" 230
                Fielder 6'3", 240
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                  Hopefully, being a DH will help Ortiz stick around a bit longer than the other guys...Mo was originally hurt falling in the dugout going after a foul pop-up, I believe. Not sure what eventually felled Fielder.

For reference, their size, from baseball-reference:

Ortiz: 6'4" 230
                  Vaughn 6'1" 230
                  Fielder 6'3", 240
                  Playing DH should help Ortiz with durability, but the trend is for players to get heavier as they get older, particularly the already heavy-set players. I imagine Vaughn and Fielder were somewhat heavier in their last few seasons than what baseball-reference lists.

Playing baseball places a lot of demand on stress on the body, even for a DH. The act of swinging, running the bases, and sliding. After a while of carrying around a heavy frame, the body starts to break-down from these activities. I imagine Ortiz will keep on going strong for a few more seasons, but I also expect that in 2 or 3 years, will start seeing Ortiz struggle through a lot of nagging injuries affecting his knees and back.

Comment

Nixon is going to be a free agent next season to my knowledge. I believe this will be his final season with the Sox, unless he decide to come back at cheap price. Depend on FA market next season or how Pena does this season, I can see the Sox replace Nixon by the end or during this season.

My money on Jason Varitek and David Ortiz being the players of 04 team to remain on the staff. Once V-tek current contract up, I doubt he'll leave Boston and would probably resign for a much cheaper price. Ortiz has shown a lot interest in staying Boston, so I think they'll make sure he stay in Boston until his days are number.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                      Once V-tek current contract up, I doubt he'll leave Boston and would probably resign for a much cheaper price. Ortiz has shown a lot interest in staying Boston, so I think they'll make sure he stay in Boston until his days are number.
                      Varitek is by far my favorite player, but I don't see Boston having him back after the end of this contract, Evangelion, regardless of his asking price.
                      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Bring Back Leskanic!
                        Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                          Playing DH should help Ortiz with durability, but the trend is for players to get heavier as they get older, particularly the already heavy-set players. I imagine Vaughn and Fielder were somewhat heavier in their last few seasons than what baseball-reference lists.

Playing baseball places a lot of demand on stress on the body, even for a DH. The act of swinging, running the bases, and sliding. After a while of carrying around a heavy frame, the body starts to break-down from these activities. I imagine Ortiz will keep on going strong for a few more seasons, but I also expect that in 2 or 3 years, will start seeing Ortiz struggle through a lot of nagging injuries affecting his knees and back.
                          XX, I share your worries about Papi's durability, but I seem to remember that Mo and Cecil looked bigger each year...they weren't just big men, but big men who couldn't control their eating, or thought they didn't need to. I'm sure that Papi has grown, but he doesn't look like a slob to me, at least not yet.
                          Ruth played pretty well until near 40 despite some obvious extra pounds...I guess that Papi reminds me somewhat of a taller, lefty Killebrew in build, and Harmon didn't age too well. Wagner had a big build and aged extremely well, but wasn't so tall and didn't have such a high total weight.
                          Papi seems like a pretty smart dude...maybe he'll realize he needs to work hard to keep the weight down as he gets older to keep his career going?
                          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

I'd say Papi is my top choice, but I might change my mind if Youk has a good season this year. I can see the fans falling in love with this guy and him wanting to stay in Boston. He is a little old to be starting an exceptional career, but he should stick around for a while if he can get on base like we think he can.
                            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn
                              XX, I share your worries about Papi's durability, but I seem to remember that Mo and Cecil looked bigger each year...they weren't just big men, but big men who couldn't control their eating, or thought they didn't need to. I'm sure that Papi has grown, but he doesn't look like a slob to me, at least not yet.
                              Ruth played pretty well until near 40 despite some obvious extra pounds...I guess that Papi reminds me somewhat of a taller, lefty Killebrew in build, and Harmon didn't age too well. Wagner had a big build and aged extremely well, but wasn't so tall and didn't have such a high total weight.
                              Papi seems like a pretty smart dude...maybe he'll realize he needs to work hard to keep the weight down as he gets older to keep his career going?
                              Killebrew eh? He played before my time, but given the pictures and clips I've seen as him, I've always pictured Jim Thome as being the modern version of Killebrew in terms of build (though Thome is a few inches taller). Kind of fits too considering that they were both 3Bman originally that converted to 1B. Anyway, I picture Ortiz as much more heavy-set and stocky than Killebrew.

I also agree with you that just because Vaughn and Fielder broke down, doesn't meant that Ortiz will. Look at Tony Gwynn, he was huge by the end of his career, but he could still hit. But I wouldn't go hoping that Ortiz has Babe Ruth's durability. Ruth is an exception to the game in just about everyway. I don't know if there was anyone else who was more born to play baseball. Even the most fit players break down as they get older, and players do tend to gain some weight as they age, even if it's not significant. I do think as Ortiz ages, the weight will cause his body to breakdown faster than most players. But he does have the DH going for him, so that should help. I'm also of the opinion that some lefty pitcher just needs to pound Ortiz inside over and over again, alternating between splitters/sinkers and high fastballs/cutters, and he'll be totally useless. I know, I'm dreaming.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X