Last Member of the 2004 Red Sox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manager?

Actually I think it will be GM terry francona also I`ve got a feeling that before his career ends you might see Damon and Ramirez batting in the same lineup and I`m not talking about the AL all star team
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
      Actually I think it will be GM terry francona also I`ve got a feeling that before his career ends you might see Damon and Ramirez batting in the same lineup and I`m not talking about the AL all star team
      Certainly possible, but not likely, not with the way the Red Sox pull the trigger on firing managers quickly for any problems.
      "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
      -Don Fehr

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
        Killebrew eh? He played before my time, but given the pictures and clips I've seen as him, I've always pictured Jim Thome as being the modern version of Killebrew in terms of build (though Thome is a few inches taller). Kind of fits too considering that they were both 3Bman originally that converted to 1B. Anyway, I picture Ortiz as much more heavy-set and stocky than Killebrew.

I also agree with you that just because Vaughn and Fielder broke down, doesn't meant that Ortiz will. Look at Tony Gwynn, he was huge by the end of his career, but he could still hit. But I wouldn't go hoping that Ortiz has Babe Ruth's durability. Ruth is an exception to the game in just about everyway. I don't know if there was anyone else who was more born to play baseball. Even the most fit players break down as they get older, and players do tend to gain some weight as they age, even if it's not significant. I do think as Ortiz ages, the weight will cause his body to breakdown faster than most players. But he does have the DH going for him, so that should help. I'm also of the opinion that some lefty pitcher just needs to pound Ortiz inside over and over again, alternating between splitters/sinkers and high fastballs/cutters, and he'll be totally useless. I know, I'm dreaming.
        I don't know...when I see Thome, he looks more muscular big to me...Killer always looked kind of chubby to me, albeit also very strong. Killebrew had massive shoulders, but they were rounded, not cut looking. Bouton said that Harmon's nickname was "The Fat Kid", but the term was always used with respect, as in, "I hope I don't have to pitch to the Fat Kid with men on base." To me, Ortiz has a somewhat chubby/strong look, although nothing like the slobbo Mo/Cecil buffet lover look.
        Does anybody else remember that one of the defenses that Mo's lawyer brought up to explain Vaughn's failing a field sobriety test was that his client was too obese to physically perform the test properly? This was while he was still playing for the Bosox!!!
        Interesting that you bring up Gwynn...I think that Papi looks a lot like a scaled up mid-career Gwynn, although with more upper body strength. I agree that it would be folly to expect Papi to match Ruth's longevity, but he is an example of a big player who got bigger throughout his career and still played well until near 40. But, as you say, the man was born to play baseball, and you can't really compare anybody to him.
        One of the great things about Papi...he always seems to adjust. Give him too much of one thing, and it will probably go out...although, I can't say that I can remember any of his big hits being off anything high and inside with steam on it.
        Your posts are always worth reading...I must admit that many of my best baseball conversations have been with Yanks fans. Missed most of the 2nd to last game at Fenway last year (a shellacking by your boys) because I was involved in an intense conversation with some fans visiting from Jersey. I admire your intelligence as a poster and your passion for the game!
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
          Certainly possible, but not likely, not with the way the Red Sox pull the trigger on firing managers quickly for any problems.
          Unless the bottom falls out between now and the end of the 2008 season I doubt he will be gone.
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
            I don't know...I think that they stuck with Jimy and Grady far longer than their managerial ability warranted. They certainly posted good regular season records, but also had a lot of talent to help them. So many of Williams' moves were just totally bizarre...I was at a game where he let "0 for 30" Grebeck hit for himself with men on base in the 8th even though Bichette was available to PH, then put a defensive replacement in for Craig in the next half inning. EVERYBODY around me in the stands was looking at each other, saying "What is he doing??!?!?!" You can bet that there were no runs scored for the Bosox coming out of that at bat.
            As for Grady, all I can say is that he made Jimy look pretty good. I suppose that both men must have had some talents for keeping the players happy and motivated, but that's not all the job requires.
            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Wakefield will stick around the longest?

Yeah, he's not young, but knuckleball pitchers can usually pitch effectively into their mid-late 40's.
              "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn
                Your posts are always worth reading...I must admit that many of my best baseball conversations have been with Yanks fans. Missed most of the 2nd to last game at Fenway last year (a shellacking by your boys) because I was involved in an intense conversation with some fans visiting from Jersey. I admire your intelligence as a poster and your passion for the game!
                Thanks Hellborn. The feeling is mutual and also extends to many other of the Red Sox posters here. I love posting in the Red Sox forum here because there are so many good and intelligent posters. And like you, I've also had some of my best baseball conversations with Red Sox fans, and some of those have been in Fenway. It sometimes takes a lot to earn the respect of a Red Sox fan, so I definitely feel honored when I do.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X