Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sox claim Choi from Dodgers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sox claim Choi from Dodgers

    http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NA...t=.jsp&c_id=la

    Wonder where he'll play this season, given that Snow is also in consideration for a roster spot.
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

  • #2
    Hmm.
    Well, we certainly didn't pick him up for his whopping .240 career average.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting pickup. He's got some pop in his bat, he's supposed to be pretty decent with the glove, and he was a high prospect a few years back. He might start in the minors, but I'm thinking this means that the Red Sox aren't too optimistic about Mike Lowell and might be figuring that they'll have to move Youkilis over there at some point. It never hurts to have depth on the team, and I think Choi, just like Pena, gives the team better depth. You really can't complain about having a guy like Choi on the bench as he's pretty decent for short periods (didn't he take off like a rocket a few years ago and then was injured?)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DoubleX
        Interesting pickup. He's got some pop in his bat, he's supposed to be pretty decent with the glove, and he was a high prospect a few years back. He might start in the minors, but I'm thinking this means that the Red Sox aren't too optimistic about Mike Lowell and might be figuring that they'll have to move Youkilis over there at some point. It never hurts to have depth on the team, and I think Choi, just like Pena, gives the team better depth. You really can't complain about having a guy like Choi on the bench as he's pretty decent for short periods (didn't he take off like a rocket a few years ago and then was injured?)

        I was wondering the exact same thing, XX. Lowell must be causing some concern, and there are thoughts of Youk at 3rd. Gotta be.
        Choi is a very patient hitter, and doesn't swing at too many bad pitches. But that doesn't mean he connects when he does swing. He does have some pop in his bat, but I'm not sure that this alone warrants his signing. He is, however, a solid defensive player.
        He came out like crazy in 2004, but cooled off fast.
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SoxSon
          I was wondering the exact same thing, XX. Lowell must be causing some concern, and there are thoughts of Youk at 3rd. Gotta be.
          Choi is a very patient hitter, and doesn't swing at too many bad pitches. But that doesn't mean he connects when he does swing. He does have some pop in his bat, but I'm not sure that this alone warrants his signing. He is, however, a solid defensive player.
          He came out like crazy in 2004, but cooled off fast.
          Looking at his stats, it doesn't seem like Lowell has been that bad this spring. He's hitting .270 and leading the team in doubles, but no homeruns and only 1 RBI. I think Lowell should be alright, meaning better than last year, but I don't think he'll ever be the hitter again he was just two years ago.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DoubleX
            Looking at his stats, it doesn't seem like Lowell has been that bad this spring. He's hitting .270 and leading the team in doubles, but no homeruns and only 1 RBI. I think Lowell should be alright, meaning better than last year, but I don't think he'll ever be the hitter again he was just two years ago.
            As you know, I've had high hopes for Lowell in Fenway.
            All this being said, I'm still unclear on Choi.
            I guarantee you, though, that management knows something right now that we don't.
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SoxSon
              As you know, I've had high hopes for Lowell in Fenway.
              All this being said, I'm still unclear on Choi.
              I guarantee you, though, that management knows something right now that we don't.
              Not necessarily. They picked him off waivers, so it didn't really cost much, so why not just go for it. It never hurts to have depth. The Sox have questions at the corners, so it's good to have some options.

              As for Lowell, after last year, I'm thinking if he can hit 15-20 homeruns for the Sox this year, they should be happy. Same goes for Youkilis, though I wouldn't be surprised if either hit more than 20 or even up around 30.

              Comment


              • #8
                plus he has minor league options...so he was a good pick up IMO. Lowell has been swing well in ST and stinging the ball right at people. JT Snow is not going to last forever, so Choi is a good find for Theo.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Intresting. This must be as a fall back position to just in case lowell is horrible. But I still find it strange that we would pick up another 1st baseman. If Lowell can get his confidence back which would be the reason why he would play bad this year than there is no need for choi. Although it doesnt hurt the team at all and it is always good to have a "just in case".
                  go sox.

                  Pigskin-Fever

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another smart move by Boston.

                    Low risk...Choi is signed for only $725,000, and has a minor league option left. If Lowell doesn't hit, or if somone gets hurt, they have a capable replacement waiting down the road a tick in Pawtucket.

                    Choi was once a very highly rated prospect, and getting him without giving up any talent in return is a smart move. He's injury or trade insurance, plus he could always be used as a bench player. Also, if he has a strong season at AAA, and Boston can't use him, they can always trade him at the deadline for something they CAN use, be it a major leaguer or a prospect.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DoubleX
                      Not necessarily. They picked him off waivers, so it didn't really cost much, so why not just go for it. It never hurts to have depth. The Sox have questions at the corners, so it's good to have some options.
                      Good point, though I'd rather not get that depth with a slow, low hitting first baseman at this point. I'd like to get some speed on the bench.

                      Originally posted by DoubleX
                      As for Lowell, after last year, I'm thinking if he can hit 15-20 homeruns for the Sox this year, they should be happy. Same goes for Youkilis, though I wouldn't be surprised if either hit more than 20 or even up around 30.
                      I'm still choosing to believe that Lowell's going to bust out in Boston.
                      (30 longballs would be fine by me!)
                      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can't believe 26 other teams passed on Choi at such a low salary. He hasn't been great in his career, but he's been considerably above league average the last two seasons despite being jerked around by his managers. He's certainly better than the Giants' first base platoon of Lance Niekro and Mark Sweeney, and probably could have been a very good backup for 20 other teams. He's still young, and his top PECOTA comp is David Ortiz. It's a no risk move with enormous upside, and he is already a better hitter and fielder that JT Snow. In a slightly Ironic twist, if the Yankees had wanted to claim Choi, the tiebreaker going to them last year gave the Red Sox priority for the waiver wire. I would have been much happier with a Choi-Phillips DH platoon than with Bernie.

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X