Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoxSon
    Ok, Damon aside, I'm going to paint a big target on myself and ask:

Why are fans generally so outraged when a player does this to a team, but feel like "business is business" when management does it to a player?
    That is the key..... it's not only true of Clemens, Boggs, and Damon, but also of the more recent departee, Arroyo.

SoxSon, no target practice from me. You've hit the nail on the head. (Although I must admit I'd be miffed if the Sox were ever to let Wake go without his blessing.)

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, are Yankee fans allowed to vote? Could we please have a "we luv 'im" thing added to the poll?

*gases up the speedster, gets ready to be run outta town*
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by ThanksTheo
        That is the key..... it's not only true of Clemens, Boggs, and Damon, but also of the more recent departee, Arroyo.

SoxSon, no target practice from me. You've hit the nail on the head. (Although I must admit I'd be miffed if the Sox were ever to let Wake go without his blessing.)
        Thanks for chiming in on this, Theo. Since no one seemed to be answering, I was starting to think that I was virtually alone on this.
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dak
          Donning the pinstripes = traitor

Boggs
          Clemens
          Damon
          Don't forget the Babe and Flash Gordon.

Isn't it strange that hardly any Yankee left NY for Boston (directly or via another team)?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
            Hmmmmmmm, are Yankee fans allowed to vote? Could we please have a "we luv 'im" thing added to the poll?

*gases up the speedster, gets ready to be run outta town*
            Sure but vote in the ''other'' category for now but there is also this thread in the Yankee Forum .

Comment

Thanks for chiming in on this, Theo. Since no one seemed to be answering, I was starting to think that I was virtually alone on this.
              You can count me in, too. Johnny Damon is demonized (as was Pedro last year) because of his lack of loyalty, yet when the GM yanks loyal players around and dishes them off, it was simply a business decision. My concern recently has been that a number of "business decisions" are setting the Sox up for another stretch when no one will sign on unless they get a big fat, immovable contract (like Manny). I also find it ironic that Sox fans are quick to point at the bloated payroll of the Yankees while failing to see how Theo is setting Boston up to make a charge for the record themselves (because we all know that the Boston fans won't put up with so much as one season of sub-par baseball anymore).

2007 World Series Champions
              The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                You can count me in, too. Johnny Damon is demonized (as was Pedro last year) because of his lack of loyalty, yet when the GM yanks loyal players around and dishes them off, it was simply a business decision. My concern recently has been that a number of "business decisions" are setting the Sox up for another stretch when no one will sign on unless they get a big fat, immovable contract (like Manny). I also find it ironic that Sox fans are quick to point at the bloated payroll of the Yankees while failing to see how Theo is setting Boston up to make a charge for the record themselves (because we all know that the Boston fans won't put up with so much as one season of sub-par baseball anymore).

There's 3 of us, then.
                Indeed, I think we may be entering a new era of management in Boston. I may be in the minority, but I do believe it is possible to do business properly and still retain some good feelings from the players you're working with. Equally important, the future of any ballclub is detrimentally affected by burned bridges, through unnecessarily bloated contracts, trade blocks, team morale/loyalty, etc..
                I'm truly not trying to be all "doom and gloom," but I think we need to watch our step here. Strict number-crunching should be saved for the back office...ballclubs are comprised of human beings.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

There's 3 of us, then.
                  Indeed, I think we may be entering a new era of management in Boston. I may be in the minority, but I do believe it is possible to do business properly and still retain some good feelings from the players you're working with. Equally important, the future of any ballclub is detrimentally affected by burned bridges, through unnecessarily bloated contracts, trade blocks, team morale/loyalty, etc..
                  I'm truly not trying to be all "doom and gloom," but I think we need to watch our step here. Strict number-crunching should be saved for the back office...ballclubs are comprised of human beings.
                  You mean to say that everything is not Black and White , Money is the Key of the game .

Comment

There's 3 of us, then.
                    Make that four of us who feel that way, and I've heard plenty of talk around my neck of the woods in the same vein. Loyalty is a two-way street, but the Sox suits seem to think loyalty is as obsolete and quaint as chivalry.

They would do well to remember that they are dealing with human beings, not 2-dimensional pasteboard baseball cards.
                    ---
                    Last night I saw a bit of a show on NESN called "Raising a Nation", previewing the '06 season. When discussing the massive roster turnover over the course of the last 2 offseasons, many of the commentators said that the team is going "more professional" and this was one of the ideas behind the cutting loose and trading of the goofball players who enlivened the clubhouse over the last 3 years.
                    Last edited by VTSoxFan; 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM.
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

I still like him, but don't like the fact that he went to the yankees.
                      Red Sox...

Red Sox Nation- Wily mo pena

:gt

Comment

Most of the Red Sox faithfulll (Hey Johnny , Red Sox faithfull , does that ring a bell ? no says Damon i now play for the Yankees) do not like him anymore .

Comment

Originally posted by whosyourpapi
                          You mean to say that everything is not Black and White , Money is the Key of the game .
                          Money is so not the key to the game for me that it took me a while to figure out what you were saying. I'm still not positive if I'm right. Are you saying that with the poor treatment of players, management is only setting up future financial woes for themselves?

I can see how this might be taken from what I wrote, but I wrote those examples only to appeal to those more concerned with monetary gain than myself. Personally, I think it's far more important that management treat players with respect because it's the right thing to do.

Comment

The Red Sox used to do things where they resigned too many guys and it hurt them. We resigned Varitek and Damon didn't like that we resigned Tek but not him. Tek though is not only still one of the top catchers, the the leader of the club house. I liked that they let Damon go. Damon was great for us, but you can't pay players for what they have done all the time. Sometimes you have to pay them for what you think they will do. I was nervous until we got Crisp because I thought most of our options weren't great except for that one. I don't like Damon for a couple reasons. Not because he went to the Yankees because I'm used to that by now as a Sox fan. Boggs, Clemens, Myers, and many others have gone over the years, but I don't like Damon because he's being a baby about it. In one breath he's saying that he could never go to NY next he's signing. Then he took a shot at the Sox saying something to the affect of "You can't get rid of your core players and be good." We didn't get rid of our core players he's just pissed that he wasn't one of them. Tek was a core player not only in the offense, but calling games for pitchers. Millar was a good clubhouse guy, but he sucked last year. We got rid of the "idiots" because they either wanted too much money, or didn't produce. Answer honestly who would you rather have? Damon for 12.5million per year or Crisp for around 3 million (I think thats his salary) for 4 years? Damon although he will still be good, be he's on the downslope of his career, and everyone thinks that Crisp's best ball is in front of him. He's faster than Damon, and has a slightly better arm ( I know not by much, but still). I loved that we got younger this offseason. Damn I'm excited. lol.

Comment

Damon in Yankee Road Grays...

I'll admit to an odd moment of pique when I saw Damon lead off against Oakland. Not that I prefer him over Crisp, I REALLY DIG Coco Crisp, but a year and a half ago, when Damon was saying words to the effect of "I'll never go to New York", I took him at his word. Whether or not he was insulted by the Sox is a moot point...I'd play for the Sox for free...hell, I'd pay them! When a member of the Sox (Theo did this too...but I'm glad he's back) just walks away, it both puzzles and hurts me. You'd have to drag me out of a Sox position with battleship chains.
                              On the other hand, Damon has been the butt of a lot of joking at work...we have a mixed crew, and the Sox fans have taken to calling Johnny by the moniker of "Smooth", and believe me friends, it's not a compliment.
                              Only a few mysteries left to uncover,

D-No

Comment

For $52M I'd wear a Yankees hat. I enjoyed Damon's time with the Red Sox and don't have any problems that he signed that ridiculous contract. Frankly, it helped the Red Sox bigtime!
                                BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X