• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toni?

(filler text)
    1903 - 1912 - 1915 - 1916 - 1918 - 2004 - 2007 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
      Boston's fate will be decided by both schilling and Foulke though I`m a Yankee Fan I want them to compete though I believe they will be third to Toronto :gt
      you are becoming quite annoying. The Yankees will be lucky to get the Wild Card this year. You want to talk old, look at your broken down staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
        you are becoming quite annoying. The Yankees will be lucky to get the Wild Card this year. You want to talk old, look at your broken down staff.
        Do the math and figure out the average age for your starters and the average for ours
        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
          In today's The problem I see, that many of the fantasy leaguers and armchair GMs don't, is that the way this team is handling personell is a little too much like a bunch of kids playing EA Sports leagues. In fantasy leagues and video games, you can swap players all you want because they're just programs, not people. Anyone who has ever had to manage a group of people, regardless of their salaries, knows that the more you treat people like Lego blocks to be snapped in and out of position, the more they avoid working with you, the less they give to you in return, and the less productive your work unit becomes.
          I wanted to echo your thoughts here. My impressions of Boston's management are regressing to an almost-forgotten state.
          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
            The problem I see, that many of the fantasy leaguers and armchair GMs don't, is that the way this team is handling personell is a little too much like a bunch of kids playing EA Sports leagues. In fantasy leagues and video games, you can swap players all you want because they're just programs, not people. Anyone who has ever had to manage a group of people, regardless of their salaries, knows that the more you treat people like Lego blocks to be snapped in and out of position, the more they avoid working with you, the less they give to you in return, and the less productive your work unit becomes.

There's a reason why the Red Sox went 86 years without a World Series title, and a lot of it came as a consequence of the buzz that Boston was a team you didn't want to have anything to do with. To this day Boston still struggles with the lingering effects of being the last team to integrate. If Theo and pals think they can just scour the discount bin and find lightening in a bottle every season, they will soon find that they've unwisely spent the "political capital" the 2004 season gave them. Today's heroes often become tomorrow's goats: just look at Roger Clemens.
            I couldn't agree with you more, Flash. I'm glad I'm not the only person who looks upon the players as people and not just as cold and featureless compilations of stats, and a team as a spreadsheet.

The way they're going about their business in Boston is just chilling. I saw a quote from Theo after the Arroyo trade that went something to the effect of, "we promised not to trade him that week [that he signed the contract], but never said anything about future situations." I don't know the exact wording, but it was something like that, and said to me that the front office is not above going back on its word.

Any and all players for the Sox had better keep their bags packed. Theo has gone on record as saying that "no one is untouchable", and I don't doubt that he could wangle a deal to get one of the Molina brothers, or Victor Martinez, guess who'd be on the next flight out of town?

They might put together a functional team... but what, in the end, is the real cost?
            --Annie
            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

This little tidbit was slipped into the the last line of today's Globe in the "Baseball Notebook."

Tony Graffanino, claimed off waivers from the Red Sox Tuesday, hit a grand slam in the second inning.
              Yeah, yeah, it's just Spring Training. Too bad the Sox office didn't feel that way a week ago.

2007 World Series Champions
              The Boston Red Sox

Comment

I feel for Graffanino and Arroyo because they both loved Boston and were both sent packing. Unfortunately, that is the nature of business in baseball sometimes, very frequently nice guys finish last. I wish Tony good luck as well as Bronson, but I think the Red Sox were right in their decisions. I like Wily Mo Pena and what he can develop into. There are ALOT of "ifs" this season for the Sox, but I'm confident that they'll be fighting for the AL East with the Yanks just like last year. Forget the Bluejays, I don't see it happening.
                Back to being underdogs

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                  Who takes Graffanino's place on the bench? Cora? Machado?
                  Stern replaces him off of the bench but won't last more than 17 days(Rule 5 draft reason) before being replaced by Willie Harris.

I think the Sox should have kept him as he's great for depth. He can play all IF positions, and his bat is steady enough that he can start for stretches if necessary. Cora, if that is who will actually get that backup IF job, does not give the team the flexibility that Graffanino does, and he's just not as good as Graffanino.
                  Cora is the main backup for 2B and SS with Harris as another option. They have Youklis as a possible backup at 3rd and 1st already has three guys(Ortiz does the NL park games) so they are pretty much covered. They don't really need one guy to do everything, they can get by with guys who can play at least two positions on the team.
                  Last edited by efin98; 03-30-2006, 05:00 PM.
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                    Cora is the main backup for 2B and SS.
                    Well...Graff was a backup player who could hit, too.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                      Well...Graff was a backup player who could hit, too.
                      True. But it's not like Cora can't hit.
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                        True. But it's not like Cora can't hit.
                        Cora is not a particularly good fielder, average at best, and that might be an overstatement. Graffanino is better (though still not great).

But as for Cora and hitting - he can't hit. In 2211 ABs he's only hit .244, with just 30 HR, a 0.659 OPS and a 77 OPS+. That's pretty dreadful and pretty much makes him an Alex Gonzalez clone accept with a much worse glove and less power. There really should be no place on an elite team for a guy like Cora, even on the bench.

As for Graffanino, in 2100 ABs he's hit .268, with 42 HR, a 0.731 OPS and a 91 OPS+. The difference between Graffanino and Cora is night and day and I believe the Sox would have been much better served and much deeper with Graffanino than Cora backing up in the IF. Imagine if Mark Loretta goes down? The Sox will have two absolutely dead bats at the bottom of the lineup everynight (Gonzalez and Cora). If Gonzalez gets hurt, you lose a little bit of the small offense he provided and you lose his glove by replacing him with Cora, at least Graffanino would provide some more hitting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X