Jonathan Papelbon -Closer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan Papelbon -Closer?

I`ve been whatching espn and I noticed a lot of talk revolving Papelbon being the closer if Foulke does not bounce back from his 2005 season I personally like this idea but that leaves them with being forced to go to the minors for a backup starter also maybe they would used Timlin as the closer instead because he has more experience and use him as a setup man what are your thoughts on this and do you have any other ideas
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    I`ve been whatching espn and I noticed a lot of talk revolving Papelbon being the closer if Foulke does not bounce back from his 2005 season I personally like this idea but that leaves them with being forced to go to the minors for a backup starter also maybe they would used Timlin as the closer instead because he has more experience and use him as a setup man what are your thoughts on this and do you have any other ideas
    Its called end punctuation look into it it makes your posts a lot easier to read you know

Kidding aside, I think using Pap as a closer would be a mistake. His stuff is too good to be wasted in the closer spot. I think I'd rather see Craig Hansen in that spot before Pap.

Comment

I've read quite a bit about Papelbon starting the season in the closer role. I can only imagine that means he handles high pressure roles. I'm concerned that Foulke's knees will give out before Wells' back. If that happens, it seems pretty likely that Pap will take that slot. I would rather have him at middle relief. After all, he's too valuable to send back to Pawtucket to keep his IP at starter levels.

2007 World Series Champions
      The Boston Red Sox

Comment

speed

I actually like his velocity.
        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

If Papelbon could start, I prefer him starting, but having a power pitcher that able to blow people away being our closer wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I think the last legit heat thrower we had at closer was Tom Gordon. At this point, we Arroyo dealt, Papelbon will have to be our long relief pitcher. Papelbon's role kinda up in the air at the moment. Only thing for sure at the moment is he's not going to start the season as a starter. That's the only thing I've seen that's for sure at the moment.

Comment

Papelbon can bring the heat, but he walks a lot of guys (BB/9 of 4.5) and does yield a hit per inning. That's a pretty high combination.. He also only has 34 IP in the majors. Then again somebody has to pitch the 9th.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
              Then again somebody has to pitch the 9th.
              That's Hansen, IMO.

Papelbon is destined for a starting job at some point, and I don't suggest we groom him as a closer in the meanwhile, particularly when Hansen hits high 90's with his fastball along with an excellent high 80's slider. Hansen also does not walk many batters. He's young, but he's the future at the closer's spot, I should think.
              "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X