X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariano_Rivera
    replied
    Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
    So according to your philosophy, the Red Sox should be better than the Yankee's, especilly in the playoffs. You yourself said our rotation is better, (with no injuries on both sides) and the bullpen is a push. Everyone one knows both teams have the offense, so i'm glad a Yankee's fan is giving us good odds to win.
    but bullpen and fielding win everywhere also you have to be in it to win it. With no injuries of course yours is better but it's almost a guarentee that at least 1 or 2 starters will have serious injuries on your team we have a healthier team not much but it makes it overall even. Remember your chief competitors in the wild card are the Blue jays and Cleveland oh and the Angels to. All except the Angels have a bette offense. Cleveland has far better and Toronto has a little bit better plus better SP and a better Bullpen. They only lack defense up the middle. Nice signature by the way

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    Other way around Yankees have more options and less of a chance of injury
    potential I think would have to go to Boston though I really think they`re about even overall. Bullpen same about even we have Rivera and your closer could be injured half the season of course you have a better setup man our MR is nearly the same we can dispute that anyway you want Offense please don`t even make me discuss this.
    Rickey, I was just looking at your tag-line, and to be fair, since 1996, Boston has won 5 Wild Cards, including the last three.

Leave a comment:

• YOUgodofwalks
    replied
    No offense taken

I have a philosophy
    Offense gets you their Pitching will pull you through
    Or in other words the Offense wins in the regular season but pitching will win the Championship. Bullpen and fielding work everywhere.

So according to your philosophy, the Red Sox should be better than the Yankee's, especilly in the playoffs. You yourself said our rotation is better, (with no injuries on both sides) and the bullpen is a push. Everyone one knows both teams have the offense, so i'm glad a Yankee's fan is giving us good odds to win.

Leave a comment:

• Mariano_Rivera
    replied
    Originally posted by Jager
    What I meant about Gordon was that he was great for you guys, and i'm not convinced that Farnsworth is going to live up to that standard. I don't expect the Yankees to be a bad team all of the sudden, but I don't see them doing anything in the playoffs either. BTW Wells is on the DL because he wasn't going to start the first two times through anyways. The Sox planned on going with a 4 man rotation back months ago. They left Wells out just because he's the 5th starter. He's going to start a game in AAA if I'm not mistaken. He could pitch and wants to pitch, but we have only 8 games in the first 10 days. Anyways the Yankees should have RJ who will be great, and Wang and I'll even give you Chacon that will be good, but Mussina keeps looking worse. Wright just sucks healthy or not. Smalls just isn't a good pitcher, even if he gives you some alright innings. Quite frankly i'm not convinced that Pavano wants to play. Not only does he under perform when he's out there, but he keeps getting hurt, and the latest one really made me think this. Even little things that most guys wouldn't even mention he's on the DL for it. He has a bruise on his butt. Imagine calling your boss and telling him that you can't come in because you have a bruise on your butt. He would think you were nuts, and you may even get fired. IMO anyone that REALLY wanted to be out there would have insisted that he is ok. I'm just not convinced he has the makeup to be even a decent pitcher in NY. Because Sox fans and Yank fans both know that its a little different playing there for players. Some guys thrive and some guys flop. Just like Rudy Seanez. I'm not convinced that he will be any good for us. He sucked a couple years ago, went somewhere else and did great, and now we will see. But I feel great that we have 5 good starters, and Papelbon still there if one goes down. Timlin can close if Foulke can't. We have question marks, but we have solutions ready to go if they happen.

Other way around Yankees have more options and less of a chance of injury
    potential I think would have to go to Boston though I really think they`re about even overall. Bullpen same about even we have Rivera and your closer could be injured half the season of course you have a better setup man our MR is nearly the same we can dispute that anyway you want Offense please don`t even make me discuss this.

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    What I meant about Gordon was that he was great for you guys, and i'm not convinced that Farnsworth is going to live up to that standard. I don't expect the Yankees to be a bad team all of the sudden, but I don't see them doing anything in the playoffs either. BTW Wells is on the DL because he wasn't going to start the first two times through anyways. The Sox planned on going with a 4 man rotation back months ago. They left Wells out just because he's the 5th starter. He's going to start a game in AAA if I'm not mistaken. He could pitch and wants to pitch, but we have only 8 games in the first 10 days. Anyways the Yankees should have RJ who will be great, and Wang and I'll even give you Chacon that will be good, but Mussina keeps looking worse. Wright just sucks healthy or not. Smalls just isn't a good pitcher, even if he gives you some alright innings. Quite frankly i'm not convinced that Pavano wants to play. Not only does he under perform when he's out there, but he keeps getting hurt, and the latest one really made me think this. Even little things that most guys wouldn't even mention he's on the DL for it. He has a bruise on his butt. Imagine calling your boss and telling him that you can't come in because you have a bruise on your butt. He would think you were nuts, and you may even get fired. IMO anyone that REALLY wanted to be out there would have insisted that he is ok. I'm just not convinced he has the makeup to be even a decent pitcher in NY. Because Sox fans and Yank fans both know that its a little different playing there for players. Some guys thrive and some guys flop. Just like Rudy Seanez. I'm not convinced that he will be any good for us. He sucked a couple years ago, went somewhere else and did great, and now we will see. But I feel great that we have 5 good starters, and Papelbon still there if one goes down. Timlin can close if Foulke can't. We have question marks, but we have solutions ready to go if they happen.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    I know the Sox have a few question marks, but The DL for the Yankees has a revolving door. Pavano, Wright and Smalls are starting the year on the DL and there is no proof that Pavano or Wright can stay healthy. Even if they are healthy they have only had one good season in their careers, so they are hardly proven pitchers. I think to say either one will be good is still a stretch. I think the Unit will be a Cy Young contender this year. Mussina is breaking down though. He's getting old and I think he's going to have a bad year. Wang should be solid again since his rookie year was good, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think its stupid how many Yankee fans talk about Chacon like he's going to win 15 games this season. Lets not forget that most of the time with the Rockies the last three years his era was around 6. Theres a reason they put him on waivers last year. He was good last year, but I certainly don't see him being your savior like last year. Pavano and Wright are made of glass. Smalls hasn't ever been very good. You have Rivera at the end of your bullpen which is the best in MLB, but i'm not convinced about Farnsworth either. Gordon was great for the Yankees, and i'm not sure that he's going to get it done. You can love your Yankee rotation all you want, but I think they aren't going to be very good, and there seems to be more evidence that they will be bad rather than good.
    - Wright is not on the DL to start the season (though I wish he was).

- Gordon is gone, but the entire bullpen has been retooled and has good depth now.

- Chacon will be an effective, if not good starter now that he's away from Coors field. He's got tremendous breaking stuff that will only get better now that it's out of the thin air.

- Sox have just as many legitimate DL candidates as the Yankees. Schilling has had very few seasons in his 18 year career that were not interrupted by injury. He had trouble staying health at 28, he had trouble staying healthy last year at 38, and I'd say the odds are good that at 39, he'll again have trouble staying healthy. Beckett has great stuff, but he's never had a healthy season and never had pitched more than 178 innings. How's he going to hold up? Can he hold up? How will he adjust to the AL? David Wells? He's already on the DL.

Overall, I'd give the Sox the edge in the rotation. If Schilling and Beckett stay healthy, they have two guys who can match up against anyone. However, the Sox rotation is not without its own problems and questions.

Leave a comment:

• pesky6
    replied
    I know the Sox have a few question marks, but The DL for the Yankees has a revolving door. Pavano, Wright and Smalls are starting the year on the DL and there is no proof that Pavano or Wright can stay healthy. Even if they are healthy they have only had one good season in their careers, so they are hardly proven pitchers. I think to say either one will be good is still a stretch. I think the Unit will be a Cy Young contender this year. Mussina is breaking down though. He's getting old and I think he's going to have a bad year. Wang should be solid again since his rookie year was good, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think its stupid how many Yankee fans talk about Chacon like he's going to win 15 games this season. Lets not forget that most of the time with the Rockies the last three years his era was around 6. Theres a reason they put him on waivers last year. He was good last year, but I certainly don't see him being your savior like last year. Pavano and Wright are made of glass. Smalls hasn't ever been very good. You have Rivera at the end of your bullpen which is the best in MLB, but i'm not convinced about Farnsworth either. Gordon was great for the Yankees, and i'm not sure that he's going to get it done. You can love your Yankee rotation all you want, but I think they aren't going to be very good, and there seems to be more evidence that they will be bad rather than good.
    Not to defend Yankee fans, but Chacon should do better outside of Coors (although I'm rooting for him to fail miserably ). Your post makes it sound like Gordon is still with the team, but he's with the Phillies. But yeah, the Yankees have a lot of question marks with their rotation.

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mariano_Rivera
    replied
    Originally posted by pesky6
    Sorry, Annie (and Rickey_Henderson ). The comment was meant to just be a part of the standing joke, and not as an attack. Sorry if it came across that way.

RH, I get where you're coming from regarding the division, but the thing that gets me is how Yankee fans view this as an outright victory, maybe it stemms from the fact that it keeps your "streak" alive? Would all of that chest-thumping occur if there wasn't a streak? But let's face it--it was a tie, and the only reason why the Yankees "won" is because someone had to figure out who we were going to face in the playoffs. Sure, you won in head-to-head competition (although that was by a single run, if you think about it), but that just means that we had a better record against the rest of the AL. Anyway, if it makes you feel better, then call yourselves the division champs--it's only through a technicality.

Maybe Pavano will have a good year, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't he starting the season on the DL? That's not a good way to kick things off. Put it this way--I think the division winner will come down to whoever has the healtihest pitching staff.

No offense taken

I have a philosophy
    Offense gets you their Pitching will pull you through
    Or in other words the Offense wins in the regular season but pitching will win the Championship. Bullpen and fielding work everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• pesky6
    replied
    Sorry, Annie (and Rickey_Henderson ). The comment was meant to just be a part of the standing joke, and not as an attack. Sorry if it came across that way.

RH, I get where you're coming from regarding the division, but the thing that gets me is how Yankee fans view this as an outright victory, maybe it stemms from the fact that it keeps your "streak" alive? Would all of that chest-thumping occur if there wasn't a streak? But let's face it--it was a tie, and the only reason why the Yankees "won" is because someone had to figure out who we were going to face in the playoffs. Sure, you won in head-to-head competition (although that was by a single run, if you think about it), but that just means that we had a better record against the rest of the AL. Anyway, if it makes you feel better, then call yourselves the division champs--it's only through a technicality.

Maybe Pavano will have a good year, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't he starting the season on the DL? That's not a good way to kick things off. Put it this way--I think the division winner will come down to whoever has the healtihest pitching staff.

Leave a comment:

• Mariano_Rivera
    replied
    thats if he stays as a long man if pavano wright or the big ugly go down which is very likely by the way then hell have to go into the rotation lets face it hes no spring chicken either confidence only goes so far if he doesnt happen to have it this year then things could get rocky for your boys

oh and as far as your sig goes yeah i can do the math but everyone outside of the rivalry knows which one will be most remembered plus its not two consecutive wild cards we tied last year tiebreaker shmibreaker plus considering how poor your grammar is you better stick to math cause thats obviously better even though in this case it isnt but i will give you credit at least you figured how to do smile faces
    Thank you very much for the compliment regarding smilies. The Yankees won the division through the tiebreaker when Boston wins from a tiebreaker I won`t complain I have a feeling that Pavano will have a big year and bounce back. Just a guess. Also at least we have the option and chance of a guy like Small. My grammar has nothing to do with Boston's pitching last time I checked.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    I know you're right, Annie. But I keep laughing for some horrible reason. h

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Pesky. Attack the post, not the poster. And as for grammar, let he who is without punctuation throw the first stone, hm?

Leave a comment:

• pesky6
    replied
    Duplicate no do well yes he has confidence now for 1 and he won`t be under as much pressure as a long man
    thats if he stays as a long man if pavano wright or the big ugly go down which is very likely by the way then hell have to go into the rotation lets face it hes no spring chicken either confidence only goes so far if he doesnt happen to have it this year then things could get rocky for your boys

oh and as far as your sig goes yeah i can do the math but everyone outside of the rivalry knows which one will be most remembered plus its not two consecutive wild cards we tied last year tiebreaker shmibreaker plus considering how poor your grammar is you better stick to math cause thats obviously better even though in this case it isnt but i will give you credit at least you figured how to do smile faces
    Last edited by pesky6; 04-01-2006, 11:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    yeah maybe so but do you actually believe that small will dulpicate his success in 2006 i seriously doubt it ill eat some crow if he does but a 35 year old pitcher going 10-0 is miraculous i doubt he can even come close to that again
    pesky...you're cracking me up with this. Your endurance is awesome.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X