Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teixeira a luxury or a need for the Sox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teixeira a luxury or a need for the Sox?

With the Rays more experienced and with the addition of Price not to mention of a very talented farm system, the Yankees having signed Sabathia, Burnett and perhaps Sheets or Lowe the Red Sox as it stands TODAY it could be in danger of missing the 2009 play off. Could finish third in the AL East with the hitting it has now. This team needs a clean up hitter, a hitter that could protect Ortiz and would hit in front of Bay. At the end of 2008 Youkilis who had a CAREER YEAR was the Sox clean up hitter, but Youkilis isn't the answer, Teixeira is the answer, Texeira is a NEED for the Sox, a type of a hitter that will allowed Ortiz to see that he could hit, that other wise he won't.

Most of the talk i have seen or heard has been that if the Sox would sign Teixeira they would had to trade Lowell. I disagree, a smart organization will sale HIGH (The Coco Crisp trade is an example of this) not when the market is down. Like i said before Youkilis is coming from a CAREER YEAR the time to take advantage of it, Youkilis is 30 yrs and made 3 Millions in 2008, which means he would double that in 2009 (Not longer the cheap Youkilis that he was a few years ago, like his supporters claim that he was) in addition the Sox with Teixeira ar first and Lowell at third would better deffense, better range, than if Youkilis would had been at third base.
    Last edited by scaffolds; 12-13-2008, 07:45 PM.

Pure luxury player.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Tex is the best fit for this organization. A young, switch hitting gold glove carrying slugger to pair with Ortiz. However, if it's going to cost 8 years or more, over $20M/year and potentially include a NTC and opt out, I think they should pass. The front office has built a top flight organization by paying the right price. If Tex isn't in the works, I would look at the following alternatives:

Dunn - Not a switch hitter or defender Tex is, but should come much cheaper, gets on base and hits home runs that wouldn't require draft compensation. I would primarily play him at 1B and in LF (Fenway only) when Bay is out of the lineup. #3 thru #6 would be Ortiz, Youk, Dunn and Bay. Sign Baldelli and you have 5 (or more accurately 4 1/2) outfielders.

Giambi - sign him to a cheaper one or two year deal.

Not being tied to a ridiculously high Tex contract allows for greater payroll flexibility to re-up internal options, future free agents and salary trade dumps from other teams. I also think that Lowell should only be dealt if it nets a decent return (we also forget he has a NTC). Other moves to make:

Baldelli - 4th outfileder, platoon with Drew.

Catcher and veteran middle infielder - I won't rehash all those internal, free agent and trade options.

#4 Starter - Smoltz is my first choice. Masterson fills the role until Smoltz returns, giving Gonzo a 6 week audition in the pen. Penny is my 2nd choice, if it's a cheap one or two deal. Sheets is the third option, assuming he's relatively healthy and can be had for a reasonable two year deal.

Springer - I kick the tires on him, ink him if it can be for one year for no more than $4M.

To summarize, I don't see Tex as an absolute need because I wouldn't give him a contract that could haunt the Sox down the road. If he can't be had at the right price, save and spend the money elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
        Pure luxury player.
        i do not think it is a pure luxury as we have too many "ifs" in our line up.

Can Ellsbury bounce back from a down year?
        Is Ortiz healthy and can he bounce back from a bad year?
        Will Lowell be health coming back from injury?
        Can Drew stay health and if so, can he be productive like last year when he carried the team in Papi's absence?
        Can Jason Bay continue to play well?
        Will Tek, if re signed, hit above .200?

we have a lot of ifs in this line up, so while i will not say Tex is a need, it would sure be nice to have and we dont have to give up any young players for him...just money. And that money does not come out of my pocket, so why not go get him.

Comment

Tex is the very definition of a luxury. We have every position filled and have a good offense. Here's a little breakdown of the past 5 seasons offensive production.

Red Sox rank in runs scored in MLB

2008-3rd
          2007-4th
          2006-9th
          2005-1st
          2004-1st

We, as Sox fans have become accustomed to having a very good offense. But, we don't NEED to be in the top 5 of runs scored almost every year, it is not require to win. Proof being in the same time period as above, the years the Sox did not win the World Series the winner was ranked 9th in 2008, 14th in 2006 and 13th in 2005 in runs scored. I agree the offense would be better with Tex, but if we assume the current Sox offense goes down from several career years last year we drop down to somewhere around 7-9 in the MLB in runs scored? In no way can I accpet we need Tex to have any chance of winning.
          "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
          -Don Fehr

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks View Post
            Tex is the very definition of a luxury. We have every position filled and have a good offense. Here's a little breakdown of the past 5 seasons offensive production.

Red Sox rank in runs scored in MLB

2008-3rd
            2007-4th
            2006-9th
            2005-1st
            2004-1st

We, as Sox fans have become accustomed to having a very good offense. But, we don't NEED to be in the top 5 of runs scored almost every year, it is not require to win. Proof being in the same time period as above, the years the Sox did not win the World Series the winner was ranked 9th in 2008, 14th in 2006 and 13th in 2005 in runs scored. I agree the offense would be better with Tex, but if we assume the current Sox offense goes down from several career years last year we drop down to somewhere around 7-9 in the MLB in runs scored? In no way can I accpet we need Tex to have any chance of winning.
            You are aware Manny Ramirez was on the team in 04-08, right?

Comment

Teixeira is more of a luxury then a need at this point. But considering that the Rays greatly improved and the Yankees were not that far behind last year, and have already improved their pitching I believe signing Tex would be a wise decision to help the Sox compete in 2009 and beyond.

While I believe the Sox offense is solid going into 2009, I also believe there are legitimate concerns regarding Papi and Lowell and to a lesser extent a few other players such as Drew. Tex would be a luxury but he'd also be insurance in the event Lowell, Papi and a few others can't hit as well as they had in past years.

While I'm optomistic Papi and Lowell will make full recoveries and hit well, coming back from injuries and with age creeping up on them, there's just no gaurentee they will be as reliable and productive as they had in past years.

Lowell turns 35 in February and Big Papi just turned 33. While this isn't terribly old in baseball years, some players in their mid thirties start to decline so signing a 28 year old with good offensive skills helps for our future offense as well as giving us a boost for our current offense. So I think signing Teixeira would be a wise move.

Comment

How many runs a team has a scored in a year or how many runs a team average per games is sometimes miss leading, as the Red Sox showed in 2008 where they where high in both categories, however it struggle to score in a lot of games and made very average pitchers look like a future Hall of fame candidates when facing them. If the red Sox are going to be contenders in 2009 and beyond they need to take care of the clean up hitter. A hitter that will hit behind Ortiz and in front of Bay, again Youkilis isn't the answer.
                Last edited by scaffolds; 12-14-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Texiera isn't a need by the Sox, nothing for the Sox is a need, but he is a useful player and something which for the Sox would be helpful.

Comment

Ellsbury CF
                    Pedroia 2b
                    Tex 1B
                    Ortiz DH
                    Youk 3b
                    Drew RF
                    Bay LF
                    Tek C (i think he will re sign)
                    Lowrie SS

That is an AWESOME line-up

Comment

^ That's the lineup I hope for as well.

Right now...Tex is a luxury. Looking down the road...he's a need. Bringing in a gold glover at 1B and a switch-hitting lethal bat for years to come would be huge and he would be the bat our lineup would be built around. I could see Tex becoming the face of the future of this franchise.

Make that call Theo.

Comment

ITA with Dirt Dog. The Red Sox don't have any holes at the moment, but we have to look at the future of this offense. We have several vets who are on their last leg & many young bats who's potential is still years away. So we need a guy in his prime that can produce at a high level consistently.

I don't agree with trading Youk. I think you platoon Lowell at DH against lefties.
                        Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
                        “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

I think the Red Sox need to very carefully evaluate Youkilis. To me he is a guy,like Varitek, that you end up overpaying for the last four years of his career because you overvalue his "intangibles".

I don't know about giving anyone an 8 year contract. That's a long time.
                          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

For those who aren't a believer that signing Teixeira is a NEED, the Red Sox front office doesn't agree with you. According to baseball people with a strong knowledge in the negociations the Sox have made a strong move to finalize the signing, A Sox line up with Texeira in it would allow them to have a strong defensive minded catcher (perhaps resigning Tek) without the burden of hitting and a younger catcher (more than likely Dusty Brown) as the back up.

Comment

Originally posted by scaffolds View Post
                              For those who aren't a believer that signing Teixeira is a NEED, the Red Sox front office doesn't agree with you. According to baseball people with a strong knowledge in the negociations the Sox have made a strong move to finalize the signing, A Sox line up with Texeira in it would allow them to have a strong defensive minded catcher (perhaps resigning Tek) without the burden of hitting and a younger catcher (more than likely Dusty Brown) as the back up.
                              I don't dispute that Tex provides great value and would be a great fit. However, I wouldn't (and I suspect the Sox FO wouldn't) give him a ridiculous contract that restrict their payroll flexibility.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X