Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox interested in Hanley Ramirez

Report: Sox tried to get Hanley Ramirez back

According to a report in SI.com, the Red Sox made an attempt to re-acquire Marlins star Hanley Ramirez, "but while the Marlins listened to Boston's overtures, Florida isn't anxious to trade its best player, and talks apparently have been aborted after no agreement could be reached." The Marlins were said to be most interested in a center fielder, and discussions apparently centered on Boston's promising youngster Jacoby Ellsbury, talented pitching prospect Clay Buchholz and others in a package for Ramirez, according to the SI.com report. In Nov. 2005, Ramirez was dealt by the Red Sox to the Marlins along with three minor leaguers in exchange for Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell, and Guillermo Mota.

The article points out that if a trade went down Ramirez could be used in CF to replace Ellsbury and the Sox could still keep Lowrie at SS. Getting Ramirez back would be sweet but the Marlins want an awful lot and I don't see it unless the trade was tweaked with throwing some money at them instead of trading both Ellsbury and Buchholz.

Oh yea, the Marlins would request a load of players in return. Due to their history, I could see them trading Hanley one day, but just not right now.
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Not yet, but looking at their track record, Ramirez will be traded near the end of the deal. I don't see him reaching free agency in a Marlins uniform. H

Comment

The Yankees will sign Ramirez when the Marlins want to dump him and Jeter is past useful. But of course we will be right there in the running until they swoop in an get him.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
          The Yankees will sign Ramirez when the Marlins want to dump him and Jeter is past useful. But of course we will be right there in the running until they swoop in an get him.
          I was kinda thinking the same for a second, but really if you think about it, the Marlins want high level prospects and the Yankees may or may not have the desired prospects whenever the Marlins are ready to trade Hanley.

Here's what his contract states; 09:$5.5M, 10:$7M, 11:$11M, 12:$15M, 13:$15.5M, 14:$16M

Being as cheap as they are, my guess is the Marlins will want to trade him before or during 2011 when they'd have to pay him 11 million.

But if Theo can work out a trade now, even for Ellsbury, Buchholz and a couple of other prospects, (depending on who they want) I'd seriously consider making a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
            I was kinda thinking the same for a second, but really if you think about it, the Marlins want high level prospects and the Yankees may or may not have the desired prospects whenever the Marlins are ready to trade Hanley.

Here's what his contract states; 09:$5.5M, 10:$7M, 11:$11M, 12:$15M, 13:$15.5M, 14:$16M

Being as cheap as they are, my guess is the Marlins will want to trade him before or during 2011 when they'd have to pay him 11 million.

But if Theo can work out a trade now, even for Ellsbury, Buchholz and a couple of other prospects, (depending on who they want) I'd seriously consider making a deal.
            so would I! I wish this would have came up before we traded Crisp. Even still, there are CF out there to be had. Ramirez is one of the best players in the game and he is one of only a couple of players i would be willing to give up a bunch of top prospects/young guys for. If i were Theo, i would keep pushing this a little over this year and next.

Comment

Forget it, Jeter is playing SS for the Wankers till he dies...

Ramirez will be a Red Sock I think. It's just a matter of when.
              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post

don't tease me!

Comment

Hanley Ramirez would certainly fill up for a hole left by not signing Tex. As a matter of fact, it'd be even better, we could keep Mike Lowell. I wouldn't have a problem giving up both Ellsbury and Buchholz. How often does a 30 homer, 40 steal shortstop (or centerfielder) come along? And if the Red Sox aren't to trade for Hanley, then I believe signing Adam Dunn would be the key backup plan.
                  Last edited by The Kid; 01-01-2009, 04:17 PM.
                  "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

we do not have a spot for Dunn right now. Dunn is a DH, plain and simple and plays a ok first base. what set Tex apart was his gold glove defense.

We need a catcher, 4th OF and another SP

Comment

we do not have a spot for Dunn right now. Dunn is a DH, plain and simple and plays a ok first base. what set Tex apart was his gold glove defense.

We need a catcher, 4th OF and another SP
                      Another SP? Last I counted, we had six with Penny addition. I'm not even counting Bowden or Masterson either. Could they use another SP? Sure, but I won't call it need with six pitchers on the team already and two young pitchers like Masterson and Bowden as possible starters, if needed.

I'm holding out Baldelli will sign as the fourth OF. I also holding out the team fills in catching position without trading any valuable prospect or player away unless the return happen to be Mauer or Martin, which is highly unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post

There's more teams than just Boston and New York you know. It's entirely possible that he winds up as some midmarket team's massive offseason splash to excite the fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
                          Another SP? Last I counted, we had six with Penny addition. I'm not even counting Bowden or Masterson either. Could they use another SP? Sure, but I won't call it need with six pitchers on the team already and two young pitchers like Masterson and Bowden as possible starters, if needed.

I'm holding out Baldelli will sign as the fourth OF. I also holding out the team fills in catching position without trading any valuable prospect or player away unless the return happen to be Mauer or Martin, which is highly unlikely.
                          they have not signed Penny yet...so until he does, we need another SP. Masterson is too valuable in the pen right now and i dont want to rush Bowden into the rotation until maybe next year. I really do not know what the situation at C will be. We need a starter and even if Tek signs, i wont be that excited about it still.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                            There's more teams than just Boston and New York you know. It's entirely possible that he winds up as some midmarket team's massive offseason splash to excite the fanbase.
                            Ooh, like Detroit! I like it!! But what bothers me is: why are the Fish looking for another CF'er? Didn't they just take Cameron Maybin off our hands for Cabrera? Hmmm..., Maybin must not be CF material as they once thought he was. Certainly is fast, though.
                            "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I played the game long enough to know, and it is impossible for players - I don't care who they are - to hit 70 home runs. It just does not happen." - Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              Ooh, like Detroit! I like it!! But what bothers me is: why are the Fish looking for another CF'er? Didn't they just take Cameron Maybin off our hands for Cabrera? Hmmm..., Maybin must not be CF material as they once thought he was. Certainly is fast, though.
                              Ellsbury or Maybin could play other OF positions.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X