Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Ortiz offered a $50m/4 yr extension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MudvilleMike
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly

I'd also like to ask folks here, if they were Theo (at least let's pretend), how much would you have offered Ortiz, both in dollars and years? Where would you draw the line and say "no higher"?

Thx.
    I don't have an exact figure in mind, but if there's anyone I want on the team it's Ortiz. Even if he stunk, I'd still want him coming up to PH once and awhile.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Does anyone feel that the prior underpayments are the reason they gave him such a large contract? Or is it just the numbers, reward for helping them out so much (and often)?
    It's a reward for putting up numbers and being the best DH in the game. Pure and simple reward.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    I was going back and forth with someone else on another board. That person said that Ortiz' price came because Big Papi been underpaid around 2003-04 ($4.587m & $5.25m, respectively).

Does anyone feel that the prior underpayments are the reason they gave him such a large contract? Or is it just the numbers, reward for helping them out so much (and often)?

I'd also like to ask folks here, if they were Theo (at least let's pretend), how much would you have offered Ortiz, both in dollars and years? Where would you draw the line and say "no higher"?

Thx.

Leave a comment:

• Boston Boxer
    replied
    12 mil for 4 years...team option for 2011. That is great!

Leave a comment:

• SwissRedSoxFan
    replied
    Wow this is just great. We have the best hitter in baseball till 2011.

Good job! This is great news. For how much money a year? 12,5 m $?

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    I liked the idea of signing him just on his stats alone. Then I heard that he and Manny are mentoring Pena I liked it even more. It shows that he's a leader on the club, and not just a masher. I'm glad we'll see him for a while.

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxVT92
    replied
    Yup its official. He signed a 4 year deal with an option for 2011

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    Originally posted by D-No
    Allegedly, and I mean allegedly, the Sox are going to announce this deal around the time of the Fenway opener...as if we need any more reason to get excited! Papi wants to stay, and, again allegedly, Manny wants to stay united with his buddy. Happy Day!
    Manny always wants to stay now. right before the allstar break he'll ask to be traded, then after they try he'll decided that he's happy in Boston until the offseason. They Sox will try to move manny all offseason, then when they can't and Manny has no other option but to come play in Boston he announces that he doesn't want to play anywhere but Boston. *REPEAT*

Leave a comment:

• D-No
    replied
    Ortiz' 4 year extension

Allegedly, and I mean allegedly, the Sox are going to announce this deal around the time of the Fenway opener...as if we need any more reason to get excited! Papi wants to stay, and, again allegedly, Manny wants to stay united with his buddy. Happy Day!

Leave a comment:

• Boston Boxer
    replied
    not strange...he said he lets his agent handle it.

Matt can break down the splits all he wants, but Ortiz is well worth the money that is rumored in this extention...well worth the money and more.

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxVT92
    replied
    Apparentley Ortiz is close to a $50 million dollar 4 year deal with the Red Sox. but ive also heard that Ortiz doesnt even know anything about it. strange.
    Last edited by RedSoxVT92; 04-01-2006, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by efin98
    Just going by what was shown on the local news regarding a few stats like OBP, HRs, SLG%, etc. Manny was third behind Ortiz by a small margin and Pujols was ahead by a small margin in the major statistical categories.

I'm sure someone will break it down at some point, I don't have the time to do it.
    This weekend, I'll break it down.

Gotta get my place cleaned, do some shopping. I'm out the door shortly now.

Bye for now.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    efin:

I'd have to play with his 3-year splits later on, but here's his 2005 splits:

He's still good against lefties, but his OPS drops just >.100, which is a bit, when facing lefties. I think it was Manny around 2004 that was more consistent from day/night, left/right, etc.

I regard Manny to be more in Pujols' offensive range, than the more popular (in my opinion) Ortiz.

Anyway, there's a link to it on espn.com's first page (under mlb), but I'm a bit rushed right now.
    Just going by what was shown on the local news regarding a few stats like OBP, HRs, SLG%, etc. Manny was third behind Ortiz by a small margin and Pujols was ahead by a small margin in the major statistical categories.

I'm sure someone will break it down at some point, I don't have the time to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    efin:

I'd have to play with his 3-year splits later on, but here's his 2005 splits:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...ting&year=2005

He's still good against lefties, but his OPS drops just >.100, which is a bit, when facing lefties. I think it was Manny around 2004 that was more consistent from day/night, left/right, etc.

I regard Manny to be more in Pujols' offensive range, than the more popular (in my opinion) Ortiz.

Anyway, there's a link to it on espn.com's first page (under mlb), but I'm a bit rushed right now.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Team policy is to not confirm contracts until they are signed, sealed, and delivered so until you hear it from the Red Sox and Ortiz it is just speculation.

That said, he has earned the money. Probably only Albert Pujols has had a better three year span than Ortiz, and Ortiz has the one thing Pujols would love to have- a ring.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X