2009 Spring training at the Red Sox minor league complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
    Strong pitching this year...probably better than some major league teams.
    Oh yeah, especially once Smoltz starts rehabbing in earnest. Their lineup will have some pop too, with Bailey/Carter, Macanulty, Van Every, and Daeges. If Zink has another good year Pawtucket is a virtual playoff lock.

I know that doesn't matter to most of us. But some people do follow minor league ball.

Comment

Oh yeah, especially once Smoltz starts rehabbing in earnest. Their lineup will have some pop too, with Bailey/Carter, Macanulty, Van Every, and Daeges. If Zink has another good year Pawtucket is a virtual playoff lock.

I know that doesn't matter to most of us. But some people do follow minor league ball.

Thing with Masterson is if Gonzalez is healthy the Sox have to either lose him back to Anaheim or stow Masterson in AAA. They've already got 6 bullpen slots filled with Paps, Oki, Saito, Ramram, MDC and Lopez They CAN'T send Gonzalez to AAA because he's a Rule V pick. So if they think they can get anything out of him they have to burn an option on Masterson and "let him refine his skills as a starter in Pawtucket."

Comment

Wow, I think you seriously misread that article.

It basically stated that yes, he pitched 4 2/3 at the minor league complex, but that there's no way he'll start the year in the minors...he's just not sure if he's going to be in the rotation or bullpen. It also suggests that if Penny isn't ready, he's likely to be the 5th starter, with Buchholz "also in consideration".

Masterson is also clearly NOT behind Bard in the bullpen. Bard has already been optioned to the minors, and while he could make it to Boston as early as later this summer (my guess is July), he's never pitched above AA and needs more seasoning.

Also, everything I've read regarding Buchholz suggests they'll bring him along slowly....meaning starting at AAA.

It's the starting rotation and it's down in Pawtuckett based on this article: http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._for_anything/

Penny may be able to go on April 12th, if so there isn't a need in Boston for a 5th starter....

Bucholz jumped ahead of him in the starting role and will get the start if Penny can't go.

Masterson needs work on some pitches so he will be in the bullpen instead of starting.

Bard's start will determine the situation with Masterson, so Masterson is behind Bard in the bullpen.

He's already pitching for Pawtuckett in games in the minor league complex, throwing 4 2/3rds innings ag

Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
          I attend 30+ games at McCoy every year, so I'm excited about the teams chances this year...wins are more fun than losses, and watching talented young pitching beats watching AAA vets any day!

Not sure if Lars Anderson will start at Portland or Pawtucket, but I'm looking forward to seeing him play up close.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
            Wow, I think you seriously misread that article.
            Or you did. You got nothing from it, I got a clear indication that he isn't coming to Boston
            Last edited by efin98; 03-27-2009, 01:08 PM.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Or you did. You got nothing from it, I got a clear indication that he isn't coming to Boston
              Wait, that Masterson isn't coming to Boston? Or Buchholz?

I'm talking about Masterson. And the article couldn't be clearer that he'll start the season in the major leagues.

I mean the article starts:

Through all the times Justin Masterson has heard the question - the one whether he's going to be a starter or a reliever - there has been one query unasked. Where will he be Opening Day? That has not been an issue.

"That's the coolest thing," Masterson said yesterday after pitching in a minor league game. "That's the neatest thing - we're standing here talking about whether or not I'm going to be starting or relieving and never has there been a mention of, 'Oh, are you going to be in the big leagues or Triple A?' That's really cool that there's a spot."

Yes, there is a spot. It might be in the bullpen. It might be in the rotation.
              And then continues, with a quote from Farrell:

"We know one thing - that regardless of the role, Justin will be with us and providing meaningful innings. It's still too premature to say if that's going to be in the starting rotation or late-inning, multiple-inning type reliever for us."
              I'll do you a solid and leave out the rolling eyeball smiley, though.

Comment

Wait, that Masterson isn't coming to Boston? Or Buchholz?
                Masterson. But if Penny is healthy, both.

I'm talking about Masterson. And the article couldn't be clearer that he'll start the season in the major leagues. I mean the article starts:

And then continues, with a quote from Farrell

I'll do you a solid and leave out the rolling eyeball smiley, though.
                I was talking about Masterson, would be very odd to link to an article entirely about him if I wasn't talking about him...:ooo:
                Best posts ever:

Comment

Felix Rodriguez is a shadow of what he used to be, in 2008 he had to pitch in Independent league, today while pitching against the Cards he proved that again when he couldn't get an out and allowing four runs.

Coming into Spring training Kris Johnson was expected to make the pawtucket roster, however he has been pitching in the Portland camp and just OK. Johnson hasn't regain the life of his fastball (consistent at 93) that he had before TJ in 2005 ( the year before getting drafted by the Sox) or the bite on his off speed pitch, this Spring he has been 89-91. Johnson still an organization top 30 prospect, i usually don't agree with soxprospect, but a #29 ranking its about right.

Talking about a player ranking Chih-Hsien Chiang's ranking has fallen, no because of his doing, the organization now consider him to be an outfielder (LF), instead of a second basemen. Chiang's bat was plus for a second baseman, but he may not have the power bat for a corner outfield.

A player who may open some eyes this year is Dominican RHP Anataner Batista, some has compare Batista potentially to Ramon Ramirez. Batista while small (5-10 165) has a fastball that sits at 93, the 20 yrs command needs to get better but he should be in Greensville's pen this Spring.

Comment

Masterson. But if Penny is healthy, both.
                    I was pretty sure you meant Masterson, but figured I'd check since the article clearly states, as I said, that Masterson will be on the big league roster.

I was talking about Masterson, would be very odd to link to an article entirely about him if I wasn't talking about him...:ooo:
                    I thought so, too...but again, can we agree that the article clearly says that Masterson will start the year in the major leagues?

I mean, am I crazy people, or is that exactly what the article says?!

Comment

I was pretty sure you meant Masterson, but figured I'd check since the article clearly states, as I said, that Masterson will be on the big league roster.
                      The article does not state anything of the sort...no mention of it anywhere in there that he will be on the big league roster yet.

If you meant the 40 man roster, that's another thing...he's on that until he's traded or leaves via free agency several years down the road(whichever comes first).

I thought so, too...but again, can we agree that the article clearly says that Masterson will start the year in the major leagues?

I mean, am I crazy people, or is that exactly what the article says?!
                      We are not going to agree to that since I have already stated why I believe he will not be in hte major leagues...at least not until an injury or two. We can agree only that the article is about him and that he's going to be on the 40 man roster, everything else we are getting two different interpretations from it.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

The article does not state anything of the sort...no mention of it anywhere in there that he will be on the big league roster yet.

If you meant the 40 man roster, that's another thing...he's on that until he's traded or leaves via free agency several years down the road(whichever comes first).
                        Did you look at the parts of the article I quoted above? I mean...do you just not want to be wrong, or is it really not clear as a bell what it's saying?

We are not going to agree to that since I have already stated why I believe he will not be in hte major leagues...at least not until an injury or two. We can agree only that the article is about him and that he's going to be on the 40 man roster, everything else we are getting two different interpretations from it.
                        I'm not stating what I think, I'm stating what the article said. I agree with the article, but that's a horse of another color.

Did you re-read the article? If you did, and you still think that it says he'll pitch in the minor leagues but is on the 40-man roster, there's nothing else I can do here.

In about a week, when the Sox go north, Masterson WILL be on the team, though (barring an injury to him, of course). Of this, there is no doubt.

I mean, if anyone else is still reading this thread, please chime in. Either efin98 or I need to order ourselves up some "Hooked on Phonics", and if it's me, I want to get the order in pronto!
                        Last edited by Mike D.; 03-28-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Did you look at the parts of the article I quoted above? I mean...do you just not want to be wrong, or is it really not clear as a bell what it's saying?

I'm not stating what I think, I'm stating what the article said. I agree with the article, but that's a horse of another color.

Did you re-read the article? If you did, and you still think that it says he'll pitch in the minor leagues but is on the 40-man roster, there's nothing else I can do here.

In about a week, when the Sox go north, Masterson WILL be on the team, though (barring an injury to him, of course). Of this, there is no doubt.

I mean, if anyone else is still reading this thread, please chime in. Either efin98 or I need to order ourselves up some "Hooked on Phonics", and if it's me, I want to get the order in pronto!
                          Don't need hooked on phonics to know what stated, implied, opinions, facts mean.

Nowhere in the article is it clearly stated that he has made the roster. It is implied through the mention of Bard, Bucholz, and Penny that he will not and it is also opinion of the writer that his status as either a starter or reliever is still in doubt with him possibly becoming a starter again based on the fact that he pitched 4 and 2/3rds of an inning against minor leaguers.

The only thing clearly stated in the whole article is that he is in doubt.

And all that is mute as of today: he is going to the pen, Penny is the 5th starter and Bucholz will fill in for Penny should he be unable to go. I'll give that he made the roster finally but I still stand behind everything else I said before.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=bos
                          Last edited by efin98; 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM.
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

Wow, this thread has become a train wreck, and I can't look away no matter how much I want to.

I still don't know how Masterson himself saying:

"That's the coolest thing," Masterson said yesterday after pitching in a minor league game. "That's the neatest thing - we're standing here talking about whether or not I'm going to be starting or relieving and never has there been a mention of, 'Oh, are you going to be in the big leagues or Triple A?' That's really cool that there's a spot."
                            Just show that it's clear that he'd been told there's a SPOT for him in the MAJOR LEAGUES, but whatever. He's on the roster. I mean, it didn't say "Theo Epstien released a press release today saying that Masterson will be on the big league roster", but other than that, it made it clear he'd be on the roster. The only doubt was that whether he'd pitch in the rotation or in the pen.

He'll pitch out of the pen, which was his likely spot all along, and probably where he's best suited at this point...he doesn't need his secondary pitches as much there, and he threw a few MPH faster from the pen last year than in the rotation.

But anyway...wow....must...look...away....from...threa d...

Comment

Wow, this thread has become a train wreck, and I can't look away no matter how much I want to.

I still don't know how Masterson himself saying:

Just show that it's clear that he'd been told there's a SPOT for him in the MAJOR LEAGUES, but whatever. He's on the roster. I mean, it didn't say "Theo Epstien released a press release today saying that Masterson will be on the big league roster", but other than that, it made it clear he'd be on the roster. The only doubt was that whether he'd pitch in the rotation or in the pen.

He'll pitch out of the pen, which was his likely spot all along, and probably where he's best suited at this point...he doesn't need his secondary pitches as much there, and he threw a few MPH faster from the pen last year than in the rotation.

But anyway...wow....must...look...away....from...threa d...
                              THat's how you interpret what he is saying...but he does not actually physically say it. It's like you are putting words in his mouth unintentionally, I'm not doing that. I'll let the Theo's actions speak for Justin's words...

And rather fight over roster spots and assignments than fight over who is needed more to plug the gaps in the sinking ship like we were doing three years ago...a good problem to have
                              Best posts ever:

Comment

THat's how you interpret what he is saying...but he does not actually physically say it. It's like you are putting words in his mouth unintentionally, I'm not doing that. I'll let the Theo's actions speak for Justin's words...
                                If all you're saying is that there is no official team annoucement mentioned in the article, I'll agree with that. I'm just saying that from what the article DOES say, it's obvious that Masterson would be on the roster.

And rather fight over roster spots and assignments than fight over who is needed more to plug the gaps in the sinking ship like we were doing three years ago...a good problem to have
                                That's true, we could be sitting here arguing about who thinks the team sucks more this year!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X