Bard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bard

No one has mentioned Bard performance catching Wakefield, he had 3 passed balls and several close calls, while it was his first start catching Wakefield is anyone worried?
    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
    -Don Fehr

Bard had a dubious first outing trying to catch the knuckler, no doubt. But give him a chance, it takes time to grow accustomed to trying to catch a butterfly with leather. I'm sure there's a lot of practice going on between games, and he'll probably be guilty of another few PBs before year's end. I'd be willing to bet there's never been a catcher who didn't have a PB against a knuckler.

Worried? Yeh, a little, especially when Wake is in the late innings of some tight games. Fortunately, Bard's 3-PB game was over by the 3rd inning.

Comment

I'm going to cut Bard some slack because it was his first game, and he must have had some nerves and adrenaline going. He did make some good plays, too, some good blocks and a dandy catch going back to the on-deck circle. Lest we forget, there is a really good catcher on staff who can't seem to get a handle on the knuckler, either (remember that heart-stopping 3 PBs in one inning in Game 5? I almost died on the spot).

As knuckleballers consult with each other from time to time, I wonder whether Bard ought to contact Mirabelli and get some advice from him. Mirabelli had a different technique -- sitting far back in the box, waiting for the ball to come, rather than Bard's plan of sitting further forward and snatching at the ball.

I'm not going to judge him by his first effort. Five starts from now, if he's still chasing multiple pitches to the backstop in every game, then I'll start to wonder.
      --Annie
      Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
      Remember Yellowdog
      ABNY

Comment

What bothered me is that Bard sat back in the box and let it come to him all preseason. Then in the first game he was up forward trying to grab it. The announcers even mentioned it. I just wish he would have done the same, because that was by far his worst outing thus far.

Comment

First game of the year, so I'm not to worried or going to rag on Bard yet. If this happens the next 2-3 games, then maybe we do have a problem.

Comment

It's officially a problem. Another passed ball allows Ichiro to reach after striking out. He steals second and scores. This passed ball leads to a 3 run inning:grouchy Time to find a catcher who can handle Wake, and NOW!

I don't care if he can't hit a lick, anybody would be better than this butcher.
            Ken :gt

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub Red Sox Fan 4Life
              Time to find a catcher who can handle Wake, and NOW!
              Aside from Mirabelli, who would be able to handle Wake right now?
              "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

There's got to be someone, somewhere.

Do you think the Sox are in any way starting to regret trading Mirabelli?

Comment

Sure the Sox miss him, but Loretta is a better player. I wish we could find something that we wouldn't really miss to get Mirabelli back.

Comment

I agree with Jager that having Loretta is a better deal for us.
                    There isn't a catcher out there who is going to impress right out of the gate with Wakefield. It takes some serious in-game experience.
                    Besides, Bard wasn't our problem today.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

True. The offense did take the day off.

Still, in the long run there needs to be a solution to this. Either they find someone who can handle the knuckler, or Bard figures it out.

I much prefer the latter, I mean I don't want to throw him under the bus after 3 outings, but it is a little frustrating.

Comment

He'll be fine

I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack; can you imagine what went through the poor kids mind when they said, "You, Wakefield", kid in the majors, Red Sox, Fenway, then put Wakefield on top of that.

When Mira was traded, if I was him, I would be praying to the patron saint of baseball. I hope Fenway fans cut him slack; this wasn't his idea.

If Mira doesn't give him a call, Tek certainly knows how Mira did it, and what not to do.

If anyone ends up on DL, let's hope it is not a catcher.
                        Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                        Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

I don't blame Bard as much as I blame the nonexistent offense. Despite the 3 runs in the 3rd, Wake pitched more than well enough to keep the Sox in the game.

I'm not going to throw Bard to the wolves after a mere 3 games. I seem to remember Mirabelli galloping to the backstop a few times, too.
                          --Annie
                          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                          Remember Yellowdog
                          ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                            I'm not going to throw Bard to the wolves after a mere 3 games. I seem to remember Mirabelli galloping to the backstop a few times, too.

Along with Tek on those unfortunate days when he had Wake duty!

If anyone has trouble understanding why Bard is having trouble, keep in mind that the prospect of catching Wakefield may have been the primary reason John Flaherty retired from baseball.

Comment

It wasn't the primary reason it was THE reason. He actually went to Francona after the first preseason game that he caught for him and said "I'm don't want to finish my career chasing that around" lol.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X