The Official '' Bard Cannot Catch Wakefield '' Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
    Huh? In trading Mirabelli, we took away the only person who could catch Wakefield, thus eliminating most of Wakefield's effectiveness.

Mirabelli for Loretta was a steal for us. Again, IMO.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
      Whenever you can get a starter for a backup it is always a steal. But it did take away as well as give. Mirribelli could catch Wakefield effectivley and was probably the best backup catcher in the majors. But Loretta solved a hole at 2nd and he does play every day. Is a very good hitter(.335 in 04) and a good 2nd baseman. Hopefully Bard will get better as the season goes as that was his first game and probably was very nervous. So I dont think this will end up being a major problem unless Bard ends up not able to do the job. So the Mirribeli-Lorreta trade was a very good trade for us even though there were some negitives.
      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
        I understand it was only one game, but when I was watching it I actually helled at the tv "Catch the ball." lol. He was aweful. In just over 3 innings he had 4 passed balls, and 3 others that he barely stopped. Its going to take time, but that wasn't a good start.
        You helled at the tv?

He was aweful?

Once again: People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Regarding Mirabelli: WEEI was reporting Wednesday that Mirabelli wore out his welcome in Boston last year(clubhouse cancer-like) so when the trade arose to bring in Loretta at a bargain the Sox jumped at the chance to get rid of Mirabelli...

Now onto Bard- I'd give him two more starts at most. If he doesn't improve he should be sent down to Pawtucket to be replaced by Huckaby. Three starts is the minimum he deserves, you can't judge him based on his first real outing with Wakefield much less the second game of the season...
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousBoston
            I feel bad for anyone trying to catch Wakes; Varitek couldn't do it. Unless Bard can adapt very quickly, which is not fair to expect, Wakes has to be pulled if there are baserunners.

I was very puzzled and not happy when Mirabelli was traded. I feel bad for Bard, putting a youngster to catch Wakes is pressure; I hope Fenway fans are not nasty to him.
            Maybe that guy from the BOB's store commercial could give catching wake another try?

I was also puzzled by the mirabelli trade but nor because we got rid of dougie but because doug was all that the padre's could get for a guy who is a threat to win a batting title. I loved the deal dispite being a HUGE doug fan.

I think Bard will become acclimated to catching Wake, but I don't feel bad for him yet; ) Now if a couple past balls results in a 9th inning Yankee come from behind win I'll personally contribute to the Josh Bard back up catcher relocation program.
            Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
              I agree that it was a good deal, but I still think Mirabelli is underrated (not just b/c of his defense).
              BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Originally posted by MudvilleMike
                I agree that it was a good deal, but I still think Mirabelli is underrated (not just b/c of his defense).
                Yes, he is. I always thought that Mirabelli, when he connected, had one of the strongest swings on the ballclub. But if we're honest, I think we have to say he's still only underrated overall as a backup catcher. Getting a 2nd baseman of Loretta's caliber (and potential) for our thirty-five year old backup catcher is amazingly good fortune for us. So far, Loretta's proving this right, too.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

This thread seems suspiciously quiet this evening.
                  --Annie
                  Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                  Remember Yellowdog
                  ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                    This thread seems suspiciously quiet this evening.
                    Looks like everyone jumped the gun there, but could still be justified in calling for his ouster...just wait and see.
                    Best posts ever:
                    Originally posted by nymdan
                    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X