Where Did Brian Daubach Go??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Did Brian Daubach Go??

Does anybody know where Brian Daubach is now? I remember seeing him in the Red Sox uniform during the regular season, but he wasn't with the post-season squad.

He doesn't seem to be listed with any other teams for 2004 in the various online baseball information sources.

After spending almost half the season with the Sox, he was sent to Pawtucket when Nomar was activated and spent the rest of the season there. He was dropped from the 40-man roster due to a plethora of 1B-DH type players.

He was, however, according to Howie Singer (Sox in the City, www.theremyreport.com ) with the team at least as a spectator in St L. and was welcomed with open arms. He probably won't be with the club this coming season, what with Millar, Ortiz and Minentkeiwicz on hand.

I always liked the guy. I hope he gets a share, and a ring.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
      .... I always liked the guy. I hope he gets a share, and a ring. ...
      Thanks, Annie. I liked him too. I remember a couple of Ortiz-like game winning home runs in regular season games, but they were probably a few years ago - before he went off to the White Sox and later returned.

Comment

I'm dusting off this old thread, having found a rather poignant article while Googling for info on one of my favorite players this morning:

Dauber article

Ol' Dauber may have been streaky, but he never complained. I'd love to see him back again, but he doesn't fit the Jamesian mold.
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

That's a really nice, sad article, Annie.
          I, too, have always had a soft spot for Daubach.
          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I always wondered what happened to Daubach.
            Thanks for the info.

Comment

my favorite memory of dauber was back in 2000. i live in jersey and made my annual trek up to fenway for some games. the sox were playing the jays and it started to rain. the stadium cleared out so i was able to move intot he first row. in the bottom of the tenth with a guy on dauber hit an opposite field shot over the monster to win it. he had the biggest smile on his face as he hit home plate. i have liked him ever since.

as a side note, this guy might be one of the most liked red sox guys in recent memory, behind sweet lou merloni. Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan spend a decent amount of time rooting for him in their book

Comment

Originally posted by norride6
                as a side note, this guy might be one of the most liked red sox guys in recent memory, behind sweet lou merloni.
                Among the fans, yes. There is some lingering resentment toward him from players around the league who still think of him as a scab. He was once hit by a pitch (in Tampa Bay, I think) and it was rumored that the motive was his work as a replacement in early 1995.

2007 World Series Champions
                The Boston Red Sox

Comment

From all I've read, about him being a well-liked teammate, I don't think any of his mates on the Sox resented him for that. Sweet Lou Merloni himself was a replacement player, too, and was welcomed in the Sox clubhouse. Other players on other teams might have resented him -- quite possibly the motivation behind the Rays' repeated attempts to bean him in the Aug. 29, '00 game (they missed him every time) -- but his sox teammates welcomed him back in '04 with open arms.
                  --Annie
                  Remember Yellowdog
                  ABNY

Comment

Update

I found this today in the Mailbag feature at redsox.com:

I am really excited about Kevin Millar staying with the team and Doug Mientkiewicz being traded. I think that was the right decision. Is there any talk about Brian Daubach returning to the big club? I thought he made great contributions when called up and is wasting his talent in Pawtucket. Is Daubach invited to Spring Training? I think he would be a better backup for Millar than David McCarty. -- Chris L., New Bedford, Mass.

Daubach does not factor in to the team's plans for this season. Daubach remains unsigned, so I'm not sure if he might be playing in an Independent League or somewhere else. The Red Sox think they'll be fine with McCarty or Kevin Youkilis backing up Millar, and David Ortiz will also spend time there. A darkhorse might be Roberto Petagine, who was a force in Japan the last six years and recently signed a minor league deal with Boston.
                    Last edited by VTSoxFan; 02-15-2005, 06:47 AM.
                    --Annie
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

Update on Brian

The Mets sent LHP Tim Hamulack and catchers Jesus Flores and John Pachot to minor-league camp, leaving 59 players with the big club. Flores, 20, is a fast-rising prospect who should begin the season at Single-A Hagerstown or St. Lucie. ... 1B/OF Brian Daubach, who hit .294 with 21 homers and 73 RBI as a Red Sox rookie in 1999, is in minor-league camp. ... Kris Benson, rained out five days ago, makes his first Grapefruit League start today, against Orioles LHP Erik Bedard.

Hope he gets a chance!

Comment

Thanks for the update, mef. I was hoping someone would pick him up; he really deserves a chance. Streaky within a season though he is, he's remarkably consistent year-to-year if he gets the playing time. He's also a solid defensive 1B, much better than he's given credit for.

After the '03 season I read in Sports Weekly, in Bob Nightingale's column (I do believe) that as a member of the White Sox, Dauber was the "most misused player in the majors."

This guy must really, really love The Game, to stick with it after being shoved aside as he has been in the last couple of years.

Good luck, Dauber!
                        --Annie
                        Remember Yellowdog
                        ABNY

Comment

Daubach missed

Thanks for the article, Annie. Daubach was one my family's favorites for his love of the game and team attitude. It was great for my son to have a role model who was more about team than himself. I hope somebody gives him a shot -he could surprise someone else just like he surprised the Sox his first year.

Comment

I just moved to central Georgia a few months ago, but I used to live, for about 4 years, where Brian is from - Belleville, IL. I never met him, but some of the men from the church where I worked in Belleville said he was a really nice guy who just happened to be great at baseball.

There are a total of 18 past and present MLB players born in Belleville. Some recent ones:

Neal Cotts, who debuted in 2003
                            T. J. Mathews, 1995-2002
                            Brent Brede, 1996-1998

Just a little interesting stuff from baseball-reference.com, where you can apparently find out anything.

Comment

Daubach was also one of my favs. Although he didn't play very much, he was still very passionate about the game. He's kinda like Adam Hyzdu. He's great.
                              Official Member of Red Sox Nation

Peace, love, and baseball. The three things the world needs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X