Where Did Brian Daubach Go??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dauber Update

What I love about Dauber is that he is such a quintessential hard-scrabbling dirt dog kind of guy...no pretensions, probably not the most gifted athlete, but a testament to hard work, persistence and positive attitude...and welcome to the real world, not always being rewarded.

Even the story of his wedding is heartwarming, but with a "but" (I might be a bit fuzzy on the details). I think he met his future wife in Baltimore which was cool because the Sox visited the Orioles at least three times during the season. But by the time he was ready to propose he was with the White Sox and his window of opportunity was down to one set of away games, when he did propose. They got married after the 2003 season, and , of course, he got cut by the White Sox while on honeymoon!!!

In any case, the latest on Brian: he's starting out the season in the Mets system with AAA Norfolk in the International League. And a final note, just before the regular season started, you remember Pedro pitched to the Mets minor leaguers to work out some back stiffness...he whiffed Brian with a nasty breaking ball!

Comment

I saw Daubach playing tonight with the Norfolk Tides in Durham.
      Frank's Field of Dreams
      "If I build it, you'll come."

Comment

Is this also where Jeff Keppinger is playing?

If so, then by an amazing coincidence, two of the MLB-caliber people I "know" may be on the same team! The preacher at the church where I minister is Jeff's uncle. Wow.

Comment

http://www.norfolktides.com/news/?id=7368

yes Keppinger is there as well

Brian Daubach - one of my all time favorites is doing well at Norfolk. He leads the team with 5 HRs and is batting .297

Player AVG G AB R H H2B H3B HR RBI TB

J Keppinger .349 17 63 16 22 3 3 0 6 31
          B Daubach .297 18 64 14 19 6 0 5 21 40
          Last edited by mef; 04-25-2005, 03:41 PM.

Comment

http://www.norfolktides.com/news/?id=7376
            "Brian Daubach continued his hot hitting with three hits and a home run as the Tides knocked off the Durham Bulls 9-4 Monday night.

Jeff Keppinger also homered as the Tides hit four home runs in a game for the first time this season. "

http://www.norfolktides.com/news/?id=7369

April 25, 2005 - Brian Daubach has been named the International League Player of the Week after hitting .400 with three home runs and 12 RBI during the week of April 18 - April 24.

Sox should have kept him and gotten rid of Millar, I think they are equal players, but Daubach has a more professional attitude

Comment

Originally posted by uthminsta
              Is this also where Jeff Keppinger is playing?

If so, then by an amazing coincidence, two of the MLB-caliber people I "know" may be on the same team! The preacher at the church where I minister is Jeff's uncle. Wow.
              Yes, I had an opportunity to meet Jeff too and he look like he's getting bald! Daubach has a great serie at Durham.
              Frank's Field of Dreams

Comment

Originally posted by mef
                Sox should have kept him and gotten rid of Millar, I think they are equal players, but Daubach has a more professional attitude
                I'll agree that Daubach has a more professional attitude but I'll dissent on them as equal players. I love Dauber, but he'd likely be a bench player behind Millar.

2007 World Series Champions
                The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                  I'll agree that Daubach has a more professional attitude but I'll dissent on them as equal players. I love Dauber, but he'd likely be a bench player behind Millar.

Daubach is twice the defensive player that Millar is (granted, that's not tough). I've always felt that he had more offensive potential than was getting out. I just don't think he ever saw enough consistent at-bats to find it.
                  All that being said, it wouldn't be wise to take Millar's bat out of Fenway.
                  "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                    Daubach is twice the defensive player that Millar is (granted, that's not tough). I've always felt that he had more offensive potential than was getting out. I just don't think he ever saw enough consistent at-bats to find it.
                    All that being said, it wouldn't be wise to take Millar's bat out of Fenway.
                    Ironically, Millar and Daubach first reached the majors in the same year as team mates for the Marlins. From 1998 to 2004 Dauber made 639 appearances, 410 as a starter, while Millar had 731 appearances, 622 in the starting lineup. Overall their fielding numbers are comparable.
                    • Millar has a career fielding pct. of .991, Daubach's is .990.
                    • Over their careers in that span, Millar made 30 errors, Daubach 31.
                    • Although Millar's range factor is two points lower than Daubach's (5.63 to 7.71), it should be noted that Millar's is tempered by the significant amount of time he spent as an outfielder.
                    • Last year Millar made 6 errors in 69 appearances at 1B (+3ER in RF), the most in a season in his career. In 2001 he made 2 errors all year.
                    • Daubach made 5 errors in 2002 over 60 appearances at 1B, 11 over 106 appearances in 2001, and 8 over 61 appearances in 1999.

Offensive numbers are a little difficult to compare because Millar has had about 550 more ABs, that said his career BA (from 1998-2004) is .292 to Daubach's .261, Millar has nearly 100 more RBI, 200 more hits, 40 more BBs, but 80 fewer Ks.

In general, I would put the two fairly even as defensive players, but Millar gets the nod for offense. Still, I much prefer Daubach's presence in the clubhouse to Millar's almost juvenille behavior. I don't hate him, but I wish he were just a little more professional at times.

2007 World Series Champions
                    The Boston Red Sox

Comment

No need for all the research, Flash. Do a quick poll of who Boston fans would want defensively at first base in the ninth inning of the 7th game of the ALCS, with a one run lead to preserve.
                      I could be crazy, I suppose, but I think you'd find that the fans that watched Daubach would be unanimous.
                      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Flash - I agree

Daubach has it all over Millar for professionalism. He just wants to play, he loves the game, he's not full of himself. Everywhere he's been they management and other players really like him. LAst year enough nice things couldn't get said about how great a person he is form the owner of the PawSox on down. When did you ever hear him whine when he wasn't starting a game. A lot a players could take a clue from Daubach - not just Millar.

But that being said - I think K needs to get over himself and just concentrate on playing.

I don't have loyalty to many players, they come and go, for me it's the uniform, the team. But I will always root for Dauber and follwo what he does.

Comment

I've always liked Brian Daubach, and was glad to learn that he (and everyone else who played for the Red Sox at all last season) got a World Series ring. I'd love to see him get more of a chance to hit his stride in the majors.

Comment

Brian Daubach

According to ESPN.com, Daubach is currently in the Mets' minor league organization.

I agree with what some other people said-- Daubach was a gamer, he never complained and just went out every day and did his job. He was also a pretty good clutch hitter and in his final year in Boston he flashed some leather too.

But I also believe that Daubach has too much of an uppercut, grooved swing to consistently hit MLB pitching as he gets older. Although he supplied fair power, he always had a low average in Boston. I just don't think he was the right man to have that long-term first base job.
                            2004 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS
                            BOSTON RED SOX

Schilling Damon Ramimrez Ortiz Martinez Cabrera Reese Bellhorn Wakefield Nixon Mientkiewicz Kapler Mirabelli Varitek Foulke Timlin Arroyo Embree Leskanic Mendoza Myers Roberts Lowe and don't forget Dr. Morgan

Comment

Brian is up to replace Miguel Cairo who was put on the DL, I expect to see him platoon in 1B with Doug M...however you spell it. I expect Doug to take over at 2nd for Matsui in some close games like what he did for Boston last year.

I met Brian last week again when Norfolk came through town, that guy was wearing long sleeve in jeans while sweating like crazy walking in the stadium in the 93 degrees heat!
                              Frank's Field of Dreams

Comment

Brian Daubach Reappears (to me, at least)

As I live in the Washington, DC area, I was just sitting there last night watching our new Washington Nationals playing the New York Mets. In the top of the ninth inning, who should come to the plate as a pinch-hitter for the Mets but Brian Daubach?

He struck out, but it was nice to see that he's still around.
                                Last edited by DickZ; 07-07-2005, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X