X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mef
    replied
    http://www.norfolktides.com/news/?id=7376
    "Brian Daubach continued his hot hitting with three hits and a home run as the Tides knocked off the Durham Bulls 9-4 Monday night.

Jeff Keppinger also homered as the Tides hit four home runs in a game for the first time this season. "

http://www.norfolktides.com/news/?id=7369

April 25, 2005 - Brian Daubach has been named the International League Player of the Week after hitting .400 with three home runs and 12 RBI during the week of April 18 - April 24.

Sox should have kept him and gotten rid of Millar, I think they are equal players, but Daubach has a more professional attitude

Leave a comment:

• mef
    replied
    http://www.norfolktides.com/news/?id=7368

yes Keppinger is there as well

Brian Daubach - one of my all time favorites is doing well at Norfolk. He leads the team with 5 HRs and is batting .297

Player AVG G AB R H H2B H3B HR RBI TB

J Keppinger .349 17 63 16 22 3 3 0 6 31
    B Daubach .297 18 64 14 19 6 0 5 21 40
    Last edited by mef; 04-25-2005, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• uthminsta
    replied
    Is this also where Jeff Keppinger is playing?

If so, then by an amazing coincidence, two of the MLB-caliber people I "know" may be on the same team! The preacher at the church where I minister is Jeff's uncle. Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Ichiro51
    replied
    I saw Daubach playing tonight with the Norfolk Tides in Durham.

Leave a comment:

• Betelgeuse
    replied
    Dauber Update

What I love about Dauber is that he is such a quintessential hard-scrabbling dirt dog kind of guy...no pretensions, probably not the most gifted athlete, but a testament to hard work, persistence and positive attitude...and welcome to the real world, not always being rewarded.

Even the story of his wedding is heartwarming, but with a "but" (I might be a bit fuzzy on the details). I think he met his future wife in Baltimore which was cool because the Sox visited the Orioles at least three times during the season. But by the time he was ready to propose he was with the White Sox and his window of opportunity was down to one set of away games, when he did propose. They got married after the 2003 season, and , of course, he got cut by the White Sox while on honeymoon!!!

In any case, the latest on Brian: he's starting out the season in the Mets system with AAA Norfolk in the International League. And a final note, just before the regular season started, you remember Pedro pitched to the Mets minor leaguers to work out some back stiffness...he whiffed Brian with a nasty breaking ball!

Leave a comment:

• rsocks4418
    replied
    Daubach was also one of my favs. Although he didn't play very much, he was still very passionate about the game. He's kinda like Adam Hyzdu. He's great.

Leave a comment:

• uthminsta
    replied
    I just moved to central Georgia a few months ago, but I used to live, for about 4 years, where Brian is from - Belleville, IL. I never met him, but some of the men from the church where I worked in Belleville said he was a really nice guy who just happened to be great at baseball.

There are a total of 18 past and present MLB players born in Belleville. Some recent ones:

Neal Cotts, who debuted in 2003
    T. J. Mathews, 1995-2002
    Brent Brede, 1996-1998

Just a little interesting stuff from baseball-reference.com, where you can apparently find out anything.

Leave a comment:

• lldevo
    replied
    Daubach missed

Thanks for the article, Annie. Daubach was one my family's favorites for his love of the game and team attitude. It was great for my son to have a role model who was more about team than himself. I hope somebody gives him a shot -he could surprise someone else just like he surprised the Sox his first year.

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Thanks for the update, mef. I was hoping someone would pick him up; he really deserves a chance. Streaky within a season though he is, he's remarkably consistent year-to-year if he gets the playing time. He's also a solid defensive 1B, much better than he's given credit for.

After the '03 season I read in Sports Weekly, in Bob Nightingale's column (I do believe) that as a member of the White Sox, Dauber was the "most misused player in the majors."

This guy must really, really love The Game, to stick with it after being shoved aside as he has been in the last couple of years.

Good luck, Dauber!

Leave a comment:

• mef
    replied
    Update on Brian

The Mets sent LHP Tim Hamulack and catchers Jesus Flores and John Pachot to minor-league camp, leaving 59 players with the big club. Flores, 20, is a fast-rising prospect who should begin the season at Single-A Hagerstown or St. Lucie. ... 1B/OF Brian Daubach, who hit .294 with 21 homers and 73 RBI as a Red Sox rookie in 1999, is in minor-league camp. ... Kris Benson, rained out five days ago, makes his first Grapefruit League start today, against Orioles LHP Erik Bedard.

Hope he gets a chance!

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Update

I found this today in the Mailbag feature at redsox.com:

I am really excited about Kevin Millar staying with the team and Doug Mientkiewicz being traded. I think that was the right decision. Is there any talk about Brian Daubach returning to the big club? I thought he made great contributions when called up and is wasting his talent in Pawtucket. Is Daubach invited to Spring Training? I think he would be a better backup for Millar than David McCarty. -- Chris L., New Bedford, Mass.

Daubach does not factor in to the team's plans for this season. Daubach remains unsigned, so I'm not sure if he might be playing in an Independent League or somewhere else. The Red Sox think they'll be fine with McCarty or Kevin Youkilis backing up Millar, and David Ortiz will also spend time there. A darkhorse might be Roberto Petagine, who was a force in Japan the last six years and recently signed a minor league deal with Boston.
    Last edited by VTSoxFan; 02-15-2005, 05:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    From all I've read, about him being a well-liked teammate, I don't think any of his mates on the Sox resented him for that. Sweet Lou Merloni himself was a replacement player, too, and was welcomed in the Sox clubhouse. Other players on other teams might have resented him -- quite possibly the motivation behind the Rays' repeated attempts to bean him in the Aug. 29, '00 game (they missed him every time) -- but his sox teammates welcomed him back in '04 with open arms.

Leave a comment:

• FlashGordon
    replied
    Originally posted by norride6
    as a side note, this guy might be one of the most liked red sox guys in recent memory, behind sweet lou merloni.
    Among the fans, yes. There is some lingering resentment toward him from players around the league who still think of him as a scab. He was once hit by a pitch (in Tampa Bay, I think) and it was rumored that the motive was his work as a replacement in early 1995.

Leave a comment:

• norride6
    replied
    my favorite memory of dauber was back in 2000. i live in jersey and made my annual trek up to fenway for some games. the sox were playing the jays and it started to rain. the stadium cleared out so i was able to move intot he first row. in the bottom of the tenth with a guy on dauber hit an opposite field shot over the monster to win it. he had the biggest smile on his face as he hit home plate. i have liked him ever since.

as a side note, this guy might be one of the most liked red sox guys in recent memory, behind sweet lou merloni. Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan spend a decent amount of time rooting for him in their book

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxFan4eva
    replied
    I always wondered what happened to Daubach.
    Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X