X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coco Crisp may miss a month

I just found this disquieting article on redsox.com:

Crisp May Have Broken Finger

BALTIMORE -- As they were winging their way back to Boston following a 5-1 road trip to open the season, the Red Sox were presented with their first hurdle of the 2006 season.

WHDH-TV in Boston reported on Sunday evening that starting center fielder Coco Crisp could miss up to one month as the result of a broken knuckle in his left index finger.

Reached by phone on Sunday night, team spokesman John Blake told MLB.com that the club could not confirm the report and that there was no immediate change to the original diagnosis of a jammed finger. Crisp will be examined by the team's medical staff on Monday.

Crisp, batting .333 with a .458 slugging percentage in his first five games, injured the digit while sliding awkwardly into third base during a steal attempt in the third inning of Saturday's win in Baltimore.

Adam Stern replaced him in the leadoff spot and in center field.

By the end of Boston's 2-1 victory on Saturday, Crisp had started to feel a little swelling and stiffness in the finger. Manager Terry Francona said before Sunday's game that it was believed to be a minor injury, and that his absence from the lineup was basically just a precaution.

Crisp also indicated before Sunday's 4-1 win at Baltimore that he felt an X-ray would be unnecessary.

"We have the off-day [on Monday], so it's a perfect time to let it heal," said Crisp, who also said it was his full intention to be in the starting lineup when the Red Sox take the field on Tuesday afternoon for their home opener against Toronto.
    Bear in mind that as of this writing it was just speculation.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

They team has Wily Mo and Stern ready to go for the month so he will have as long as he needs to get back to full strength.

Stern can handle the righties and Wily Mo can handle the lefties. Neither is as good as Coco but at least together the team is covered...
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

The Red Sox have tremoundous depth and can make up for it if he does indeed miss a month. Willy Mo Pena who has alot of power and Stern who is wicked fast and can play pretty good defensivley. And if needed Mohr and Harris could also fill the spot. But I think (hopefully) that the thumb will have only kept him out of todays game. At least he didnt do anything to his ankle on that slide attempt for that would have been horrible. Love this years team, alot of depth.
      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

I just saw it on Cold Pizza it's true he is hurt. The Arroyo trade is looking good for you guys now. It's going to hurt the team really badly but not as badly as it would have last year they can pull through this but they're in trouble
        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

He had the finger placed in a splint for 10 days and will then be re-evaluated.
          They say it doesn't need surgery, so hopefully it's just a temporary inconvenience, not a big time problem.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos
          Ken :gt

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub Red Sox Fan 4Life
            They say it doesn't need surgery, so hopefully it's just a temporary inconvenience, not a big time problem.
            Yeah, sounds like he just chipped a bone in his hand. I did the same thing when I was about 14, falling off a bike. Had a cast on it for two weeks, then was fine.

Stern can play center, but I don't think Pena can...so wouldn't surprise me if Crisp goes on the 15 day DL retroactive to last game and they call up Mohr, who has at least played a little centerfield.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub Red Sox Fan 4Life

I'm hoping it is just a simple dislocation or a fracture and not a full break. I'd rather see him in a splint and in limited action than with a cast and out for a month...
              Best posts ever:
              Originally posted by nymdan
              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I'm not very worried about it. I wish he could be out there, but I'm just glad it happened in April, and not in September. It would hurt a whole lot more if it happened late in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                  wouldn't surprise me if Crisp goes on the 15 day DL retroactive to last game and they call up Mohr, who has at least played a little centerfield.
                  That's exactly what the Sox did today.

Ken :gt

Comment

Hey Coco may be on the DL but the BoSox signed a 3 year extenson with Crisp with an option for 2010.

go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X