Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you give for Dontrelle Willis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We would have to give up a heck of a lot more than just Lester, but I'd be willing to do it.
    BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
      I don't make the move.

Sorry but the team has enough good pitchers on the team, honing down in Pawtucket, or itching to show their stuff in Portland. The team has six starters, they can afford Wells' back giving out and they can probably afford another injury.

I wouldn't trade what is left for a guy that is a lukewarm pitcher after the All Star break. People are tough on Clement for his second half last year- Willis is the same way and probably worse due to the heated races that will surely form this year. I don't think he could handle Boston...

Wow. You and I agree on something again, efin. I don't think so. I don't think it's the right year to do it, and more importantly, I don't feel willing to part with what we would have to part with to get him. If it were $ rather than prospects, well, then, yup, but that's not the case.

Dontrelle is lukewarm after the All-Star break (when we would really need him), and that's in the NL. His transition to the AL East would take a bit of the glimmer off him. Also, keep in mind that Dontrelle has only been pitching in the majors for three seasons, and last season was by far his best. If you check out his 2nd season stats, I think that's a closer picture of Dontrelle in Boston.

All of that said, I love the guy and I think he's incredible. However, I don't think we need to start cutting our legs out from under ourselves, particularly during a season when we clearly already have options with pitching.

P.S. I do think some of you are underestimating what it would take to land Willis in Boston. Florida is interested in young, talented players more than it is in $ these days.
      Last edited by SoxSon; 04-11-2006, 02:14 PM.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

You almost make my point for me. Willis' first two season he started out great, then after the allstar break he faded, but last year he got it together and pitched great. He's only 24. Should he have gotten his stuff together at 15. 24 is still younger than most guys are when they show that they are dominant. He would be a great guy to get.

Comment

I'll trade them David Wells.

2007 World Series Champions
          The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
            You almost make my point for me. Willis' first two season he started out great, then after the allstar break he faded, but last year he got it together and pitched great. He's only 24. Should he have gotten his stuff together at 15. 24 is still younger than most guys are when they show that they are dominant. He would be a great guy to get.

I'm not making your point for you. I'm saying that anyone willing to trade away our organization's near-future (and I think that's what it would come down to) for a NL pitcher who has had one great season is coming from a different direction than I am. Adding that we do have the pitching we need right now, it just doesn't make sense. It sounds like what NY would do. It's hasty and unneeded.

Willis would be a great guy to get, yes, if it's mainly cash they're looking for.

(Also, Willis's second season didn't actually start out great. Pre-All-Star in 2004 he sported a 3.99 ERA and a 1.48 WHIP. It went slightly downhill from there.)
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X