Stern sent to AAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stern sent to AAA

After tonight's win over the Devil Ray's Adam Stern was sent down to AAA, and the Sox are expected to call up Infielder/outfielder Willie Harris. I can't comment on this move as I don't really know anything about Harris. Can anyone help with that? Scouting Report would help. I guess that it's good for Stern to get AB's everyday. He plays good defense, but could definetely use some help with his stick. http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos

It was a planned move by the Red Sox, it was reported back when the final roster was announced.

The reason why Stern was on the roster at all this year:
    "Stern needed 17 days of service time to complete his requirement as a Rule 5 player. Wednesday was day No. 17."

They couldn't send him to Pawtucket before Wednesday or else the Braves(his former team) would have had the right to take him back.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

It'll be nice to see what Stern can do with 400 at bats or so (a total he hasn't reached since 2002, I believe).

Harris is 28, has played mostly in a part-time role with the White Sox. .242 lifetime average with not much on base ability or power. He can play infield or outfield, so he's a nice utility guy. He's got 174 career games at 2b, 104 in center, and a few scattered elsewhere.

Good move for Boston...get Stern some at bats, and have a capable non-prospect do the fill in work on the big team.
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Harris must be good. Stern has been playing some of the best defense in the league lately. Highlight catches in every game it seems. The point about his offense is well taken however. I thought he was in until Crisp came back.

Comment

They did this so they could get Stern some playing time on an everyday basis and help him devolp a little bit more. It is too bad though that we cant see him diving and runnning into walls for the ball but this will be good for him. Stern may have been the fast guy off the bench but now Harris is. Last year he got 10 steals in 56 games and in his whole career he has stolen 49 bases in 322 big league games. A fast guy who can play in the infield and outfield.
          go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by starkeeper
            Harris must be good. Stern has been playing some of the best defense in the league lately. Highlight catches in every game it seems. The point about his offense is well taken however.
            Stern had great defense but his .150 batting average doesn't fit with the Red Sox right now. He needs the experience of AAA more than the Sox need his defense in the outfield. They get a 1 for 1 exchange with Harris who can take over Stern's outfield duties while also adding another infielder to the mix.

I thought he was in until Crisp came back.
            Dustin Mohr is Crisp's replacement on the roster. He would have been called up to replace Crisp even if Stern was in Pawtucket...
            Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
              They did this so they could get Stern some playing time on an everyday basis and help him devolp a little bit more.
              No it isn't. It was due to his Rule 5 Draft time being up. He never would have made the roster if not for that fact.
              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                No it isn't. It was due to his Rule 5 Draft time being up. He never would have made the roster if not for that fact.
                Yes this is true but it is a mixture of the two. They wanted to get Harris up here and because of the Rule 5 draft Stern stayed on the roster. But they also want to see him get 400 AB's and have him improve a bit. So those are the two reasons for it.
                go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

I would rather pick Stern than Harris...
                  I don't understand this move and it's too bad, just send him down after his 17th day.
                  This guy has alot of potential. Crisp isn't here so i would have like to see Stern taking some more AB
                  I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan
                    I would rather pick Stern than Harris...
                    I don't understand this move and it's too bad, just send him down after his 17th day.
                    This guy has alot of potential. Crisp isn't here so i would have like to see Stern taking some more AB
                    Stern hasn't had a full season of at bats in a while, and while his glove is major league ready, his bat probably isn't. Trying to get a guy at bats when you're trying to win big league games in a tight division isn't the ideal.

Mohr and Harris both have more major league experience than Stern, which probably makes them better suited to fill in short-term for Crisp and then assume backup roles.

Meanwhile, Stern will get to play every day at Pawtucket without being pinch hit for every game and without the pressure of trying to learn and produce at the same time.

400 at bats in AAA will give the Red Sox a lot better idea of what they have in Stern, so they can better plan for the future.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X