Big Papi, Manny, Varitek, Lowell given 2005 Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Papi, Manny, Varitek, Lowell given 2005 Awards

I figured some good news is always helpful.

David Ortiz (left) jokes around with Manny
    Ramirez during Thursday's ceremony.
    (Charles Krupa/AP)

Sox stars receive hardware--Ortiz, Ramirez, Varitek and Lowell presented with 2005 awards
    BOSTON -- Forgive David Ortiz if he sounds defensive when describing the duties of a designated hitter. But if there's anyone qualified to speak on the subject, it's Big Papi.

Prior to Thursday's game, Ortiz was honored with his third straight Edgar Martinez Outstanding Designated Hitter Award, given annually to the best designated hitter in the game.

"The toughest part of the game is hitting," Ortiz related Thursday during a pregame news conference at Fenway Park. "It's a learning process, keep learning through the years and you get more experience and there's one main thing -- you know you have to keep working because your ability could just walk away from you."

Beginning in 2003, the annual honor was named after Martinez, since he won the American League DH award a record four times. The award's namesake, also in attendance, sympathized with Ortiz.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Frank Malzone, the winner of the first three Gold Gloves for a 3rd Baseman presented Lowell with his award...you can't get much better of a presenter in Boston than him!!!
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Thanks for that info, efin. Where'd you hear that?
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

they talked about it during the game.
        "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
        -Don Fehr

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
          they talked about it during the game.
          Thanks. I'll share that info.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
            Thanks for that info, efin. Where'd you hear that?
            If you look around online you might turn up a video of the ceremony.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X