2010 Red Sox Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Red Sox Season Thread

Here we go - the new season is underway. A June-like night at Fenway (let's hope it isn't April-ish in June!) and the Yankees in town.

Beckett was not sharp - behind a lot of batters, piling up the pitch count early. Clearly frustrated.

Angel Hernandez threw 2 close plays at 1B - the only close plays so far - NY's way. I thought Pedroia was going to jump on him last inning, after he was called out.

Whatever the outcome, it's just so good to see baseball again!
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Stirring Sox night on BBF during a great game against the Yankees on opening night.
    Originally posted by Domenic
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Rough performance by Neil Diamond.

Comment

Great win tonight!
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
          Great win tonight!
          Yes it was.

I was impressed with the new guys, Cameron especially.

Go Sox!

Comment

Living in the NY Metro area, I get to see the Sox so infrequently -- and even then I'm usually forced to tolerate the intolerable Bronx announcers -- so I'm thankful to see them when I can. Let's hope last night's never-say-die passion will continue all season long.

:gt
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Saw some of the game since I had school today. Great from what I have heard. Liking this year team.

Go BoSox!
              sigpic

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

great game, as usual, when we get together with the Yankees. Kind of impressed with the new additions to the team. I hope we keep Lowell, because i give Ortiz two months to show something and if he still sucks, get Lowell into the lineup at DH. I also hope Ellsbury learns how to play LF in a hurry, as i thought he looked a little lost out there...he could be part of a package to get AGON from SD. Overall, very good performance

Comment

i wonder when Lowell will get some at bats. I might have pinch hit him for Ortiz late in the game when Marte was on to pitch...but this is all hind sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                    i wonder when Lowell will get some at bats. I might have pinch hit him for Ortiz late in the game when Marte was on to pitch...but this is all hind sight.
                    I would have had Lowell pinch hit because I prefer a right handed hitter against lefty pitching. Papi hasn't done well against Marte, and although Lowell has only faced Marte once in his career and struck out against him, I think he may have had a better chance at a hit then Papi.

Ortiz, between 2008 and 2009 has had 7 AB’s against Marte with 0 hits, 2 K’s and 0 walks against him. With that kind of record Papi had against Marte I would have pinch hit Lowell. But to be fair, on Sunday’s season opener when Papi faced Marte he walked Big Papi so maybe Tito thought Ortiz would do okay against him.

Speaking of Big Papi, there’s been a lot of media coverage on Ortiz not having a hit in the first two games, with some questioning his hitting ability. With reporters asking Ortiz questions about his lack of hits, Big Papi snapped at them with an expletive tirade; http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=5062881

In some other Red Sox Forums I’ve read some feel Ortiz may be done as a quality hitter against lefties with a few thinking he may be completely done as a solid hitter. Myself, I think it’s too soon to make a fair judgment, but I would definitely like to see Lowell DH against Left handed pitchers since Lowell can still hit well against lefties while Ortiz has not based on last season’s stats.

Lowell in 2009 against lefties hit; BA: .301 HR: 7 OBP: .363 SLG: .503 OPS: .867
                    Ortiz in 2009 against lefties hit; BA: .212 HR: 6 OBP: .298 SLG: .418 OPS: .716

Comment

Good AB by Ortiz to drive in the first Sox run...he hit that ball well.

Comment

Why is JD in the line up?

Seriously.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

because he hit a 445 ft blast last night and he plays good D

Comment

That comebacker that grazed Beckett's head was TOO close. An inch closer and it would have taken his head clear off his shoulders. The guy's got some iron nerves, knowing he almost got decapitated, and yet stepping back up there to finish the innning without even a pause.
                            --Annie
                            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                            Remember Yellowdog
                            ABNY

Comment

Ortiz

18 at bats is way too small a sample size to give up on Ortiz. He could as easily be hitting .600 like Martin Prado on the Braves with 20 at bats. I would certainly prefer that!

After 70-100 at bats we will know more.

Just my two cents.

Ed

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X