2004 World Series ball is going to Cooperstown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 World Series ball is going to Cooperstown

What a crazy idea, and wonder why nobody figured this out quite a while ago?

Steven Senne/Associated Press
    The ball caught for the final
    out of the 2004 World Series
    will go to Cooperstown.

Let's Make a Deal: The Ball Goes to the Hall
    THE baseball has almost reached its final resting place.

A year and a half after Keith Foulke fielded Édgar Rentería's grounder and threw to Doug Mientkiewicz for the out that gave the Boston Red Sox their first World Series championship since 1918, the dispute over ownership of the baseball has been resolved.

Through an agreement reached by Mientkiewicz, the Red Sox, the players union and Major League Baseball, the baseball is going to the Hall of Fame.

When the Kansas City Royals were in New York recently, Mientkiewicz indicated that the most controversial baseball in recent times was headed to the Hall of Fame, and on Friday Michael Weiner, the union's general counsel, confirmed the agreement in principle.

Mientkiewicz, two teams removed from the Red Sox, would not say much when asked about the ball. "I've been told to keep it hush-hush, but that's the final destination — the Hall of Fame," he said.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 04-23-2006, 09:59 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Originally posted by Mattingly
    What a crazy idea, and wonder why nobody figured this out quite a while ago?
    Actually the idea was floated very early on. Mientkiewicz was the one running interference. He was hoping to lay full claim to the ball and auction it off for personal gain. He was even quoted saying the ball was his children's college fund. As far as I could tell, although the Red Sox would like to have the ball for their own collection, they were always open to the idea of sharing ownership or simply sending the ball to the HOF for the public's sake. I'm just glad that Mientkiewicz finally gave ground in his ridiculous claim. I don't even want to think what that would mean for post-season games if the last person holding the ball were allowed to keep it.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Flash, I should've used smilies. My tongue was deeply embedded within my cheek, as I understand it was suggested earlier.

It's just that I couldn't resist the urge to comment that this should've been done about a year and a half ago.

As to the next guy who claims possession, I'd only say that the largest linebackers of both of the Super Bowl teams be allowed to sack him good! That'll teach 'em.
      Last edited by Mattingly; 04-23-2006, 12:31 PM.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I'll be able to sleep better tonight now that I've read this story.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X