Willie Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie Harris

Could anyone tell me why Francona is playing Harris in CF?
    He cannot hit, not bunt, he had a very bad spring training, hitting 250 OBP .200 SLG .175 AVG in 40 AB. He had the 8th most AB on the Roster.

And now he is hitting, what a surprise, .077 AVG in 16 AB.

I think Pena, Stern or Mohr have alot more future on this ballclub and they are all better than Harris.

My opinion: Harris out. Stern in.
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

They are giving the others a rest.

Stern isn't coming back to Boston until September at the earliest. He isn't any better at the plate than Harris, barely hitting .150.
    Last edited by efin98; 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Stern is going to Pawtucket to get his at bats, and as efin pointed out, isn't much of an upgrade offensively over Harris at this point.

Pena can't play center (he can hardly play right), and Mohr might be a slight upgrade offensively over Harris, but I think Franconia is going with Harris because he's stronger defensively in CF than Mohr.

I do love how much better Crisp coming back will make this Red Sox lineup....with Crisp leadoff, you get Youk batting 8th, and Gonzalez 9th...that's a darn solid lineup!
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
        They are giving the others a rest.

Stern isn't coming back to Boston until September at the earliest. He isn't any better at the plate than Harris, barely hitting .150.
        With Coco slated for return in a couple weeks, Stern will be unlikely to show in Boston again unless someone else goes down with an injury. Of course if Stern lights up like a pinball machine, someone else might find himself being designated.

2007 World Series Champions
        The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
          With Coco slated for return in a couple weeks, Stern will be unlikely to show in Boston again unless someone else goes down with an injury. Of course if Stern lights up like a pinball machine, someone else might find himself being designated.
          Actually that is what Mohr is for. When Crisp comes back Mohr is going back to Pawtucket and if anyone else gets hurt he will be recalled, basically what they did with Youk the last two years.

Stern is pretty much off limits until September. Only a major injury and or a trade will bring him back this year.
          Best posts ever:

Comment

There is no reason why Harris should be playing instead of Stern. I know the argument is that they want Stern to get more at bats, but he can get plenty of those when Coco comes back. Until then, I'd much rather have Stern's defense, and although his .150 BA might be respectable for a pitcher, it's still better than Harris's .077 BA.

I'll never understand why Francona does some of the things that he does. For example, in today's game, he should have had Harris squeeze in the top of the 7th when there were men at the corners. Instead, he grounded into an inning-ending DP. Also, when Foulke was taken out with 2 out and a man on 2nd in the 8th, he put in Timlin, who, although a very good pitcher, struggles with inherited runners. I would have much rather seen Papelbon pitch for 4 outs. Fortunately, the Red Sox won despite Francona, but they're just two of a number of questionable managerial decisions that Francona has made in the past week or so.
            "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Casey
              I'll never understand why Francona does some of the things that he does. For example, in today's game, he should have had Harris squeeze in the top of the 7th when there were men at the corners. Instead, he grounded into an inning-ending DP.
              Harris had already flubbed at least two other bunt attempts at that point...call me crazy, but that's not exactly someone I want trying to pull off a squeeze bunt! Sure, the double play sucked, but that was NOT a bad decision not to squeeze in that instance. If Gonzalez had been up instead, we might have seen the squeeze.
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                Actually that is what Mohr is for. When Crisp comes back Mohr is going back to Pawtucket and if anyone else gets hurt he will be recalled, basically what they did with Youk the last two years.

Stern is pretty much off limits until September. Only a major injury and or a trade will bring him back this year.
                What I meant was that Stern would only show up if someone in addition gets injured, unless he starts lighting things up in the Eastern League.

2007 World Series Champions
                The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                  Harris had already flubbed at least two other bunt attempts at that point...call me crazy, but that's not exactly someone I want trying to pull off a squeeze bunt! Sure, the double play sucked, but that was NOT a bad decision not to squeeze in that instance. If Gonzalez had been up instead, we might have seen the squeeze.
                  I didn't get to watch the first half of the game, and I'm not too familiar with Willie Harris other than that he's fast and can't hit. Usually guys who are fast but can't hit are pretty good bunters, but apparently not. So, if he can't hit, if his defense is no better than Stern's or Mohr's, and he can't even lay down a bunt, what business does he have in the majors?
                  "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                    What I meant was that Stern would only show up if someone in addition gets injured, unless he starts lighting things up in the Eastern League.
                    Even with more than one outfielder hurt, I think they aren't bringing him back until September. They have others in Pawtucket who could serve his role for a few games, no need to drag him back up to Boston and screw up his progress just for two weeks.
                    Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Casey
                      I didn't get to watch the first half of the game, and I'm not too familiar with Willie Harris other than that he's fast and can't hit. Usually guys who are fast but can't hit are pretty good bunters, but apparently not. So, if he can't hit, if his defense is no better than Stern's or Mohr's, and he can't even lay down a bunt, what business does he have in the majors?
                      He is a multi-role player. He plays infield as well as outfield. He does more things than Stern can.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

Simple...

Cause the kid Can Frickin' Run!
                        Faster than Crisp.
                        Faster than Damon.
                        Faster than the speed of light.
                        Well, maybe not that last one.
                        The Yankees don't win World Series, they buy them.:grouchy

Comment

Originally posted by westy158497
                          Cause the kid Can Frickin' Run!
                          Faster than Crisp.
                          Faster than Damon.
                          Faster than the speed of light.
                          Well, maybe not that last one.
                          While he can run, I believe faster than Crisp is too much. Earlier in the season i read an article somewhere (can't remember exactly where, but I think the Boston Globe) that evaluated the team's speed. It clearly stated Crisp and Stern were the 2 fastest guys at the major league ready level in the organization.
                          "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                          -Don Fehr

Comment

I've watched Willie for the past 4 years when he was with the White Sox. The guy was a gamer. In limited time, mostly coming off the bench, he came up with huge clutch hits for us many times. He wasn't the best everyday type player/hitter, but always seemed to come through with the big play or big hit.

Defensivly, his natural postion is 2nd base where he excelled at whenever he was put there to play.

It was well known that he was the fastest guy on the team. Willie can flat out fly. He was faster than our leading base stealer Scott Podsednik. The problem with Willie was getting good reads to steal bases. At times he seemed to lack confidence with his ability to steal. He has all the tools but doesn't quite know how to fully use them.
                            Grinder Rule #45...Respect the past, people who are shoeless, and anyone named Joe.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X