Former BoSox pitcher Arroyo throws complete game for fifth win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former BoSox pitcher Arroyo throws complete game for fifth win

Not a bad game for 'royo, despite Mark Mulder showed up. I'm posting it here because the Sox fans liked Arroyo more than that traitor Damon.

Do you guys here wished that Arroyo wasn't traded? I do, because the Sox could use some help to replace David Wells (I think he may be finished).

Enough with the Arroyo threads already. We already have 3 or 4 threads about Arroyo use one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
      Enough with the Arroyo threads already. We already have 3 or 4 threads about Arroyo use one of them.
      sorry, but this is his first complete game since 2001. This may not be big news, as he never got one for the Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by Solair Wright
        sorry, but this is his first complete game since 2001. This may not be big news, as he never got one for the Sox.
        I think it is significant, given how well he's doing and how lousy the back of the Boston rotation has been doing. I do realize that the NL isn't as rich in hitting as the AL, especially the AL EWast, but still.

My perfect scenario: Wells retires; The Sox get Arroyo back (no, I don't know how; I'm just daydreaming here); Delcarmen goes back to Pawtucket for more seasoning; DiNardo goes to the 'pen to be the long reliever, and Arroyo steps back into the rotation as the #5 starter, and continues pitching as well as he has so far.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'll buy a winning lottery ticket, too.
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by Solair Wright
          There are some around here who just won't accept that Bronson is a better pitcher than given credit for. I find it ironic because our current ace, Curt Schilling, really exploded at around the age Bronson is right now. I can understand wanting to keep our eyes looking forward to this season with the staff we have, but when an "expendible" pitcher turns around and starts the season 5-0 with a 2.06 ERA--even if it is in the NL--it's worth making a note to return to this later for final evaluation.

I say that not just because of Arroyo's record or ERA, but because he really has been very solid to start the season. He has more wins than any Sox pitcher right now, despite having a generally weaker team supporting him. He even managed to balance out his weakest start against St. Louis tonight.

That said, if not for the wind Wiley Mo would have had a GS in the 7th tonight. Alas, the deck was stacked against him, but not nearly as much as it was against Damon (0 for 4).

2007 World Series Champions
          The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
            I think it is significant, given how well he's doing and how lousy the back of the Boston rotation has been doing. I do realize that the NL isn't as rich in hitting as the AL, especially the AL EWast, but still.

My perfect scenario: Wells retires; The Sox get Arroyo back (no, I don't know how; I'm just daydreaming here); Delcarmen goes back to Pawtucket for more seasoning; DiNardo goes to the 'pen to be the long reliever, and Arroyo steps back into the rotation as the #5 starter, and continues pitching as well as he has so far.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'll buy a winning lottery ticket, too.
            My dream involves Roger Clemens deciding he wants his number retired in Fenway.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

After tonight...

Mirabelli's dash into Fenway, throw out Crosby, the bases loaded, Papi being Papi, Papelbon being Papelbon....this is the Red Sox...anything can happen...anything...
              Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
              Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                There are some around here who just won't accept that Bronson is a better pitcher than given credit for.
                As bad as I feel about this trade (though still hopefull that Pena will become a superstar), I am really happy for Arroyo.

It would be kind of funny if Pedro and Bronson duel it out for the Cy Young. Sigh.
                BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

My dream involves Roger Clemens deciding he wants his number retired in Fenway.
                  Considering the team's need and two of his prior catchers and one of his friends(who happens to coach here) saying it's the best move he could make, there is something behind your dream...

Wouldn't surprise me if he waited until after the current series to make his announcement to come here. No need to insult a former team and upstage the rivalry when it can wait a few days...

And Arroyo is getting something that Boston pitchers weren't getting the last two weeks- run support. Put him on the Red Sox and he suffers the same fate as Schilling, DiNardo, and the others...
                  Last edited by efin98; 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM.
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                    And Arroyo is getting something that Boston pitchers weren't getting the last two weeks- run support. Put him on the Red Sox and he suffers the same fate as Schilling, DiNardo, and the others...
                    Date Opponent ER
                    4/5 Cubs 3
                    4/11 Cubs 0
                    4/16 Cards 5
                    4/21 Brewers 1
                    4/26 Nats 0
                    5/1 Cards 1

Now I realize there are factors that can be used to rationalize any perspective here. First, this is the NL, with an 8+ lineup. Secondly, in most (not all) of Bronson's starts the Reds have scored at least 5 runs, which, while not always numerically necessary, can put a pitcher at ease. But you can just as easily argue that Bronson's pitching puts the offense at ease. Also, his 2.06 ERA ranks him 4th in the NL at the moment. That's not simply because the NL pitching sucks. I don't even think that if Schilling jumped to the NL he'd have numbers like those (though anything is possible).

I seem to recall something along the lines of "Bronson Arroyo would be no better than a 4th starter anywhere else." I was a bit more modest and said he would be at least a 3rd starter and, for the right team, could be the missing piece that makes them a contender.

I think (for the time being) I was a little closer to the mark.
                    Last edited by FlashGordon; 05-02-2006, 08:44 AM.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

I seem to recall something along the lines of "Bronson Arroyo would be no better than a 4th starter anywhere else." I was a bit more modest and said he would be at least a 3rd starter and, for the right team, could be the missing piece that makes them a contender.

I think (for the time being) I was a little closer to the mark.

Geez, you're a character sometimes. Check out the irony in bold (I'm only messing with you, buddy! ).

The funny thing is that I'm tending to agree with you. I think it is of note that Bronson's latest performance was against St. Louis, and St. Louis was the only real stain on Arroyo's record this season so far. He clearly redeemed himself with his latest outing against them. Another fact that is really telling is that Bronson's WHIP is currently sitting at 0.89 after 43.2 innings pitched. That's not simply good luck or the NL, and is generally indicative of good things to come. He may fold in the coming weeks, but he sure looks impressive right now.
                      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

As both a Reds and a Red Sox fan I can assure you that both players in the trade were fan favorites. Hopefully Wily Mo will develop as Bronson certainly has.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Red
                          As both a Reds and a Red Sox fan I can assure you that both players in the trade were fan favorites. Hopefully Wily Mo will develop as Bronson certainly has.

Hopefully, Willy Mo becomes more patient at the plate. He clearly has the power. I tend to think that minus the wind, he would've hit a grandslam last night.
                          We're all just talking about Bronson's "true" worth, that's all, beyond just a handful of starts. It's always interesting to see how players adjust to new teams. I'm glad he's doing well for you all.
                          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Yeah the funny thing is that game last night could have easily been 13 - 8 or something like that. The wind helped out the pitchers last night.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                              Geez, you're a character sometimes. Check out the irony in bold (I'm only messing with you, buddy! ).
                              I meant that I was more modest in my expectations.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X