Papelbon Named Rookie of the Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papelbon Named Rookie of the Month

As if there could be any doubt, Jonathan Papelbon was named "Rookie of the Month" for his 14 2/3 scoreless innings and 10 saves. I haven't been this excited about a closer since my namesake threw 46 consecutive in 1998 (the year I came back to baseball).

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Well deserved! So far he's been Mr. lights out, hope it stays that way.
    Ken :gt

Comment

question for all...how does some one get labeled a rookie...what is the criteria. I did not think of Paplebon as a rookie

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
        question for all...how does some one get labeled a rookie...what is the criteria. I did not think of Paplebon as a rookie
        Last time I checked, it was 130 abs or less or 50 IP or less, with tenure also playing into consideration.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
          I'm the last one to invoke Wikipedia as a reliable source; however, their "Rookie of the Year" entry 2nds CCN:
          In order to qualify for the award a player must have accumulated, prior to the season under consideration:

* Fewer than 130 at bats and 50 innings pitched in the major leagues or
          * Fewer than 45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1)
          What I don't get is if this means that the entire month of September doesn't count.

2007 World Series Champions
          The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
            I'm the last one to invoke Wikipedia as a reliable source; however, their "Rookie of the Year" entry 2nds CCN:
            What I don't get is if this means that the entire month of September doesn't count.

I thought I heard "40 days" somewhere. I must be mistaken.
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Yeah Well done he is the only one who deserves that...

But i'm lookink forward to see him in the rotation next year.
              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

ever heard of Billy Koch before? Dont get too excited its only a rook pitcher.....

Comment

Yes Pap earned it. Right now he is on pace to win rookie of the year. He has been unhittible not giving up a run yet and setting the MLB record for saves in april by a rookie. Hopefully he can keep up this lights out pitching this month as well. Im excited that he is such a good closer but I really want to see what he can do starting every 5 days.
                  go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Rose4theHall
                    ever heard of Billy Koch before? Dont get too excited its only a rook pitcher.....

Billy Koch was undone by his own psychological problems.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                      Billy Koch was undone by his own psychological problems.
                      Yeah...not sure what a rookie with a month's worth of major league experience to a guy who had 4 30+ save seasons then fell apart at age 28 have in common.
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Congrats to Pap!

What I'd like to see is what he'll do now that the run has finally been scored off him. It's like when a guy gets a HR hit off him, he composition and everything is watched. Some fall apart, but others are cool like cucumbers. People call it the "closer's mentality" or something, and that's exactly what he is.

I wish him the best!

(except when he's playing a certain team 206 miles south, of course)
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X