Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 mlb Draft, scouting, Red Sox selections and signings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sox second selection in the first Rd (26th pick) was New Mexico H.S. catcher Blake Swihart. Swihart 6-0 180 B/R was ranked as the top catching prospect in this draft, a good athlete that has been switching for only the last two years and its a above average hitter with average power potential. Fairly new to catching Swihart is quick behind the plate with good foot work and receives the ball well with a very strong arm. Swihart is considered a tough sign.

Comment

The Red Sox first selection (19th in the first Rd) in the 2011 MLB draft was Connecticut RHP Matt Barnes. Barnes 6-4 205 was the the 8th pitcher (7th RHP) ranked in this draft, has a loose arm with minimal effort on his delivery throws a fastball that sits 92-96 topping out at 98. Barnes the velocity of his fastball deep into games, a sharp curve ball that is + at times, a average mid 80's change up, his two seamer has good arm side run and also throws a cutter, his command could use some work.

PS with this post I conclude the scouting reports of the Red Sox draft selections and now its time to go and sign them, which i will be reporting on them.

Comment

The start of the NYPEN league (Lowell) and the GCL (Ft Myers) is this coming Friday (6/17)

Comment

Weei is reporting that Pena. Shaw, Ott, Kapteyn and Turocy has agrrements in place pending physicals to sign. Of course this is in addition to the Sr signing that i posted before.

Comment

The Red Sox have signed 6th rd LHP Miguel Pena, 9th rd 3B Travis Shaw, 11th Rd LHP Kevin Brahney, 14th rd RHP Mike Mc Carthy, 15th Rd 1B Braden Kapteyn and 24th Andrew Turocy. In addition have signed free agents Tim Roberson a catcher from Florida Gulf coast U. and infielder Nick Natoli from Townson U. in MD

Comment

Originally posted by scaffolds View Post
              California State Fullerton U RHP Noe Ramirez was the Red Sox 4th round selection. Ramirez 6-3 180 lean, lanky, very polished throws a fastball that sits 88-91 and tops out at 92-93 with very good command, his chage up is + + and also throws a slider that has improved to be average. Ramirez has very good feel for pitching and is a very competidor.
              Sounds like the RP the Yankees had a few seasons ago...
              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by scaffolds View Post
                The Red Sox first selection (19th in the first Rd) in the 2011 MLB draft was Connecticut RHP Matt Barnes. Barnes 6-4 205 was the the 8th pitcher (7th RHP) ranked in this draft, has a loose arm with minimal effort on his delivery throws a fastball that sits 92-96 topping out at 98. Barnes the velocity of his fastball deep into games, a sharp curve ball that is + at times, a average mid 80's change up, his two seamer has good arm side run and also throws a cutter, his command could use some work.

PS with this post I conclude the scouting reports of the Red Sox draft selections and now its time to go and sign them, which i will be reporting on them.
                I hate tough, that he is a Yankee fan...like Ranaudo...
                I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                  I hate tough, that he is a Yankee fan...like Ranaudo...
                  and Buchholz...
                  Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

According to reports 45th rd Matt Gedman (who will switching to catcher from 3B) and 33th rd 1B David Chester (both college seniors) have agree on a contract with Red Sox and the signing is pending a physical this week. Also 13th RHP Mattew OTT has come to a contract agreement with the Sox.

Comment

• Kentucky's U. Braden Kapteyn who the Red Sox drafted as a firstbaseman but who is also a prospect as a RHP (see my scouting report on him) was signed as a RHP and will pitch at Lowell as the sseason starts Today.

Comment

• Red Sox's 37th rd selection Robert Youngdahl was drafted out of the Minesota's H.S. ranks as a outfielder, however a scout friend of mine who scouts the northern states (Minesota) like him a lot better as a LHP with a high 80's low 90's fastball and promising breaking pitches, but Youngdahl is considered a tough sign.

Comment

• The signing of Mattew Gedman and David Chester became official, Mattew Ott's hasn't, but 28th rd RHP Brendan Shepard, 18th Rd RHP Andrew Jones, 39th Rd RHP Corey Voght, 49th Rd RHP Jadd Schmeltzer and 35th Rd Catcher Carlos Coste signing became official. No surprises here at all since all of these players except Coste are college seniors. Coste a Puerto Rican played H.S. ball in Puerto Rico.

Comment

• Red Sox draft picks Blake Forslund (17th rd) Taylor Ard (25th Rd) and Jonathan Williamson (46th Rd) are all redsirt college sophomores which means that they have been in collge for three years (thats why they where draft elegible) but have two more seasons of college elegibility and are more than likely will not sign with the Sox.

Comment

• The Red Sox are having their draft picks (who haven't signed) in Boston for a scrimage game on Wednesday (22th) and Thursday (23th) Wednesday game is going to be after the Padres game. Most of the players are expecting a Red Sox bonus offer after their visit to Boston.

Comment

• Since the first post on this thread I have post about the lack, the need of LHP. The Sox seems to be trying to fix that issue with drafting Henry Owens with their first sandwich selection, Cody Kukuk in the 7th Rd, Jarrett Brown with the 23th rd selection, Shawn Dartnell in the 34th rd, Jordan Gross in the 40th rd and drafting and signing Miguel Pena (6th rd) Kevin Brahney (11th Rd who projects as a reliever) with Zachery Good who also projects as a reliever its also close to be signing. However Brown, Dartnell and Gross aren't likely to sign profesional contracts.
                                Last edited by scaffolds; 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X