Mike Lowell, the New Boggs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Lowell, the New Boggs?

In the first weeks of the season I was struck by how many 2B Mike Lowell was hitting in this very young season. Tonight he hit his 12th in the bottom of the 1st and his BA is right around .325. His batting is reminding me of another Red Sox thirdbaseman who put many a dent in the Monstah!

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Originally posted by FlashGordon
    In the first weeks of the season I was struck by how many 2B Mike Lowell was hitting in this very young season. Tonight he hit his 12th in the bottom of the 1st and his BA is right around .325. His batting is reminding me of another Red Sox thirdbaseman who put many a dent in the Monstah!
    Scott Cooper?

Comment

Originally Posted by FlashGordon
      Butch Hobson?

Comment

His pace and his position are the only things he has in common with Boggs.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

not that good
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

"I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I don't really care if he's as good as Boggs, all I know is that he's playing fantastic. Anytime you have a Gold Glove caliber 3Basemen, and he's not only hitting great, but hitting doubles, and getting good clutch hits that's great. I was very afraid that he wouldn't do good this year, but so far he's been one of our best.

Comment

Yeah, looks like he's bouncing back from his sub-par hitting season last year. I've been saying it all along to friends and other fans I see. The guy will bat .280-.300 and bang out 25-30 HR's with loads of 2B's in Fenway Park. Glad to see I was right ------ so far anyway.

Comment

Just an early season coincidence.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I'm sure the Sox are THRILLED with Lowell's performance so far...he was basically written off after one bad year last year, and the Sox basically took on his salary in order to get Beckett. And here the guy is hitting over .300 with good doubles power...a huge boost to a lineup that's had trouble scoring runs at times with injuries.

That being said, six weeks doesn't make him Wade Boggs. But having a plus bat and plus glove at 3b is certainly nice.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                      I don't really care if he's as good as Boggs, all I know is that he's playing fantastic. Anytime you have a Gold Glove caliber 3Basemen, and he's not only hitting great, but hitting doubles, and getting good clutch hits that's great. I was very afraid that he wouldn't do good this year, but so far he's been one of our best.
                      Wasn't the biggest fear in getting him was that he wouldn't hit for power, not hit at all?

If that's true then the hell with the power, I'll take consistant hitting, RBIs, and runs scored any day!!!
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                        Wasn't the biggest fear in getting him was that he wouldn't hit for power, not hit at all?

If that's true then the hell with the power, I'll take consistant hitting, RBIs, and runs scored any day!!!
                        That's the reason I drew the comparison with Boggs. Boggs was not really a homerun threat, but man could he get hits, especially doubles. If Lowell gets moved up in the batting order, he'll knock in his fair share, too. I realize he's got a long way to go (like 5 batting titles to go) before he's Wade Boggs caliber, but it's nice to see him mount a challenge this early in the season.

BTW: Record for 2B's in a season? Earl Webb 67 for the 1931 Boston Red Sox--Team and MLB record.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Just curious, why is he batting 7th if he's that good? Shouldn't he be batting 5th or somewhere around this?
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                            Just curious, why is he batting 7th if he's that good? Shouldn't he be batting 5th or somewhere around this?
                            That will probably change. The batting order was probably established based on ST and last year's performance.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                              I'd like to see Pena higher up in the order. I want to see Ortiz-Ramirez-Pena.
                              BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X