Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Varitek hits Grand Slam #2 of his Career!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varitek hits Grand Slam #2 of his Career!

As a big Tek fan, I just had to put this out there. He gets a lot of knocks for his ABs with the bases loaded. I'm just sorry I'm too bogged down with other work to watch it.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

hahaha and in the fifth they intentionally walked Tek to load the bases so they could pitch to Lowell. lol. Another double, that scored 2. Sox up 8-2 with men on second and third.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
      hahaha and in the fifth they intentionally walked Tek to load the bases so they could pitch to Lowell. lol. Another double, that scored 2. Sox up 8-2 with men on second and third.
      Sure, sure..., rub it in.

Man, I can't believe I'm missing this.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Don't worry it's gotten pretty ugly quickly. 9-2 after 5.

Comment

Excellent for Tek. I loved the way he circled the bases at his usual near-sprint, exchanged perfunctory high-fives and then zipped into the dugout to put on his gear. He is all business duting the game, but I bet he's all smiles right now.

Wicked cool.
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

A grand slam in the first inning- that's nice, but nothing big.

A grand slam in the 9th inning or later- now that's something to celebrate.

He's still hitting .247 for the year, a down year for him.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo! you are negative. Not only is your glass half empty, shoot, you don't even have a glass

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
                Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo! you are negative. Not only is your glass half empty, shoot, you don't even have a glass
                LOL!

I agree. It's nice to see Varitek showing some power again. He is prone to cold spells, but when he heats up he's a solid #5 or #6 hitter. Heck, even hitting lower in the order he helps to shore up an offense that is among the best.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                  LOL!

I agree. It's nice to see Varitek showing some power again. He is prone to cold spells, but when he heats up he's a solid #5 or #6 hitter. Heck, even hitting lower in the order he helps to shore up an offense that is among the best.
                  Going 1 for 4 is hardly shoring up the offense.

Loretta did more for the team today than Varitek.

Sorry but a grand slam doesn't compensate for his offensive dropoff this season, he's still batting .247. Frankly the only thing keeping him in the #6 slot is his tenure with the team. Throw Loretta in that spot and he would have been dropped down in the order a few weeks ago. Lowell deserves Varitek's spot at #6 in the batting order.
                  Last edited by efin98; 05-07-2006, 07:24 PM.
                  Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
                    Not negative, just grounded in reality.

I'll celebrate a grand slam when it actually is a huge deal. Hitting one in the 1st inning in a blowout game is hadly a huge deal. Hitting one like he did last year to turn the tide of the game and or win the game is a huge deal.
                    Best posts ever:

Comment

I'll celebrate a grand slam by ANY BoSoxer at ANY time. First inning is fine with me.

This game didn't even start to become a 'blowout' until well after Varitek's slam. Another former BoSox catcher who had a career BA of .269 is now in the HOF. At this point in his career, Varitek's BA is .272. He's off to a bit of a slow start at the plate this year. So are some of the other Sox' bats. Let's hope those bats are now starting to come alive.

Comment

From 206 miles down yonder, a Yankee fan writes "Congrats" to Varitek!
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                          Excellent for Tek. I loved the way he circled the bases at his usual near-sprint, exchanged perfunctory high-fives and then zipped into the dugout to put on his gear. He is all business duting the game, but I bet he's all smiles right now.

Wicked cool.
                          That's what I like about the Tek and Red Sox in general--no curtain calls. Makes me like the Yankees even less when they come out like that.

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                            I'll celebrate a grand slam when it actually is a huge deal. Hitting one in the 1st inning in a blowout game is hadly a huge deal. Hitting one like he did last year to turn the tide of the game and or win the game is a huge deal.
                            It wasn't a blowout game WHEN he hit it, it was a blowout game BECAUSE he hit it.
                            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                              It wasn't a blowout game WHEN he hit it, it was a blowout game BECAUSE he hit it.

heck, even after he hit it, it was still only 4-1, hardly a blow out. Espically with DiNardo on the hill.
                              1903 - 1912 - 1915 - 1916 - 1918 - 2004 - 2007 - 2013

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X