Pitching changes for next season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching changes for next season

I think most guys would agree that pitching was the biggest reason for this epic collapse.

I already said before the season that the red sox pitching is a little questionable. and this was before Dice-K and Buchholz got injured.

Basically the red sox only have two credible starter right now. Buchholz will come back back, but we don't know if 2010 was a fluke or if he is really that good.

Wakefield is getting really old now and lackey is-well Lackey.
    I think that the red sox need at least two new good starters for their next season. Basically beckett and lester are the only guys you can count on as above average pitchers (with only lester being an ace). today several teams have 2-3 aces and the sox don't even have 3 more than average pitchers. That has to change. (still they should have made it because there offense is so good so I'm not blaming it on pitching alone).

So who will come next year? can they bring in 5 reliable guys on the mound next season.

One suggestion:

Buehrle
    He is not a real ace but he is a solid no.2 starter who usually posts an ERA in the mid to high 3s while pitching a lot of innings. Usually he is not completely shutting the opponent but he is rarely really collapsing (which is what the so need since they can score very well-2 to 3 runs in 6 to 7 innings in most starts will lead to a lot of wins).

What do you think? Which other pitchers would you like to see there next season? and how will the 2012 rotation look?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

There's only so many spots and so many resources, so I don't expect major changes to the rotation next year.

It'll go Lester-Beckett-Buchholz-Lackey add then someone as the #5. A Buehrle would be a nice fit, but what would he cost? Will it fit in the budget? If they acquired him, it'd push Lackey down to #5, which would be a good thing, but I foresee more of a competition for the #5 spot than a big addition. Or they could hand Aceves the #5 spot and add more bullpen arms.

One area they'll clearly focus on is the depth behind the top 5. They had options this year...Wakefield, Aceves, Miller, that didn't work out that well, and some youngsters that didn't really step up (Doubront, Weiland). Look for them to try to stock Pawtucket with some veteran arms that might be able to step in if there is an injury.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

I think the 5 and 6 starter is not so much the problem. you can suck there. The bigger thing I think were the 3 and 4 spot.

Of course the rotation you mentioned could work out if everything goes well. but IMO there are still two question marks:
      1. Is buchholz really legit or was 2010 a fluke?
      2.is becketts bounce back for real

If there is a yes to both questions you have a pretty solid 4 men rotation. if it is only yes to one the rotation is so so (like most of this year). but in the worst case if it is no to both questions (which can't be ruled out) and both of those guys don't bring it you would have an absolute disaster.

I agree that payroll is limited. maybe a trade could work out. that would create room on the roster and maybe get a solid pitcher without costing too much. maybe giving up mcdonald and anderson.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
        I think the 5 and 6 starter is not so much the problem. you can suck there. The bigger thing I think were the 3 and 4 spot.
        I think that's fundamentally wrong! What killed us this season was exactly the lack of sp depth! When Matzusaka and Buchholz went down there was a huge hole in terms of starting pitching production because we had no one to even remotely capably filling in for them! the 5 and 6 spots are tremendously important!
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X