No announcement yet.

2012 Red Sox Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Valentine press conference impressions...

-Did I see some tears?

-What a thetralic unprofessional...

-"I guarantee that 50% of the mlb manager would rather be a host at ESPN Sunday than manager in the mlb." Really?

-Is there an "opt-out clause 1 hour after the press coinference" in the contract included? If not I'm going to sleep and wake up December 1st 2013 when Valentines contract is up.
    Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM.
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Well, I didn't watch the whole show, but there is one positive thing I take away from this press conference: Heidi is still around.
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• a couple of things:

1. Swiss will be the new Scaffolds when it comes to bitching about the mangaer
        2. John Henry should never be on camera or given a mike...he is so uncomfortable
        3. Heidi will be missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
          1. Swiss will be the new Scaffolds when it comes to bitching about the mangaer
          Well, I must say, I really dislike Bobby Valentine. Just analyzing from afar, it would not be a person that I would like to spend time with. His whole appearance at the press conference was so unprofessional, like he wanted to say: "Here suckers I got that job! Proved you all wrong. Hahaha." And then he suddendly became ultra emotional and spoke with way too much pathos. And when taking the questions, you could feel his impatience with the reporters when they asked similar questions (I know it is a bad time to take the side of the media after their role in the aftermath of the collapse). And he thought he had to say something specia and out of the box everytime, to look the smartest possible. Thats just my very personal feeling. I personally do not like the guy at first glance. Hopefully it will change.

I can say the complete opposite thing about Francona. I love his personality, his sense of humor (taking himself not too seriously) and his managing style (being extremely consistent and respectful, not once he took a shot at anybody. And he didnt make consistent bad choices in the game). Also in times of Facebook and Twitter you must have strict rules of how you interact with the media. And the Red Sox did a very good job of not leaking stuff out. Theo and Tito were a big reason why it was that professional. After they went out, we saw how it also can go. Now Valentine has a history to leak stuff out to his favorite reporters and ax guys in the media. I hope this is history and is one of those things he learned while he was out of a MLB job. I dont want a circus and a clown, I want a highly professional franchise and I fear, that Valentine will be too emotional and thinking too much of himself to be professional all the time, for example when he has to take a hit for somebody, I fear he will rather protect himself and point fingers.
          Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 12-02-2011, 09:11 AM.
          I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
            I hope I'm wrong, but I get the impression that some day, I'll be reading about this offseason in a book called "Killing the Monster (How petty power struggles, lazy millionaire players, and an entitled fan base turned a winning team into a running joke)" or something along those lines.
            Best fake title I've ever read. I hope you're wrong though h
            "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

• Dave Magadan is returning as hitting coach. (no surprise)
              I assume Tuck (bullpen coach, catching instructor) will also return.
              Other than that, Tim Bogar (3rd base coach) and DeMarlo Hale (bench coach) are still under contract. Hale was rumored to be talking to the Orioles.
              Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• There was an article about Valentine in today's St. Pete Times. Maddon and he seem to have mutual admiration society between themselves, and also a mutual "hatred" of the Yankees

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...ife-in/1205324

One part of the article that made my antennae go up, is that Valentine has not been able to reach Carl Crawford yet. And that in May 2010, Valentine was critical of him on air, and he and Bobby V traded "barbs". Carl has been know to hold long time grudges. But he better put them aside pretty quickly in this relationship. I think the Boston fans were kind to him overall in his struggles in 2011, but won't be so fair in 2012 if he gets off to a rocky start statswise or with his new manager.
                Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                  Dave Magadan is returning as hitting coach. (no surprise)
                  I assume Tuck (bullpen coach, catching instructor) will also return.
                  Other than that, Tim Bogar (3rd base coach) and DeMarlo Hale (bench coach) are still under contract. Hale was rumored to be talking to the Orioles.
                  Bobby V and Tim Bogar are pretty good friends. I thought Bobby V hinted that Bogar could be his bech coach if (cant remember the name) does not take it. Bogar is definitely staying

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                    Heidi will be missed.
                    Where is Heidi going?
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Heidi is leaving to be the Lakers sideline reporter. A sad day for all

Comment

• You just ruined my day. Until she came along, there had never been an arousal factor during a baseball game.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
                          You just ruined my day. Until she came along, there had never been an arousal factor during a baseball game.
                          i know, i am still dressed in black morning our loss. I wonder who will take over for her?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X