The Red Sox Sportswriters Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Sox Sportswriters Thread

I didn't know where else to discuss this so I started a new thread to discuss sportswriters. Basically what got me to start this, was that I read Cafardo's mailbag at Boston.com, and the guy once again annoyed the **** out of me! So, I was wondering what Red Sox beatwriters or general baseball writers people like and loathe. Who's a great source to follow and who can be safely ignored. Where do you guys get your infos?

I have really become to like Alex Speier's work at weei (weei in general is pretty good). On the other hand, Shaugnessy and Cafardo of the Globe are about as good at their job as John Lackey is at his! Heyman at SI is another idiot, but he does tend to have good sources regarding offseason trade/FA-rumors.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Great topic!

To me, Shaugnessy is the absolute worst. He's the Tim McCarver of print media.

Cafardo I can see both sides. Sometimes he has solid insights, other times not so much. I like his Sunday Baseball Notes (although they're no Gammon's baseball notes). His mailbag is downright awful, though. I don't know if he only gets stupid questions or only publishes stupid questions, but they're all always stupid questions. I've actually been tempted to write in a question to see if it'd get published...at least then I'd know if he just publishes them all or not.

I think Abraham at the Globe is pretty good. Sometimes his dismissive snark to a dumb question seems a bit much, but other than that, he's pretty good.

Bob Ryan doesn't do a lot for me. The only guy I read at SI who doesn't make me want my 4 minutes back is Posnanski (and his articles tend to take a half hour to read, he's not short with the verbage!)

I agree with you that the WEEI crew is generally pretty good.

I still like Peter Gammons. The one thing that strikes me about him, and this comes across both in his writing and the one time I met him briefly, is that he really, really loves baseball. It's not just his job but his passion, and it comes across. Also, he's older, but is still open to newer ideas. I get the impression that most sportswriters stopped learning about the game sometime around their 30th birthday and are just running out the clock.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Posnanski I enjoy as well. I like Abraham's pre-game notes. Generally, he has some good articles, some bad ones and some downright terrible ones, though probably more good ones than bad.

I'd go as far as saying Cafardo is as bad as Shaugnessy! I just don't think he puts a lot of thought into what he writes, nor does he seem to be willing to spend time actually researching for his articles. Or maybe he does and is just bad at it. His mailbags are terrible not only because of the stupid questions but because of his even more stupid answers!
      Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
        I'd go as far as saying Cafardo is as bad as Shaugnessy!
        I retract that statement. Cafardo has become worse! He is unbearable, has no clue, and it's beyond me how this guy has a job as a sportswriter for any team but a third class high school squad! You'd think there should be an army of young caring journalists for whom it would be a dream come true to cover a team like the Red Sox and therefore would work their butt off to write an interesting, well researched, well written article, no?

Comment

Shaugnessy is my Joe Morgan/Tim McCarver...the worst of all time. I can't put anyone ahead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
            Shaugnessy is my Joe Morgan/Tim McCarver...the worst of all time. I can't put anyone ahead of him.
            But he doesn't seem to write about the Sox that often anymore. Or am I wrong here?

My impression of Shaugnessy is that he deeply hates the business-like, emotionless, stats-driven way the Red Sox are run, despite the fact that it brought success. I guess he just doesn't understand it and thus wishes the "old ways" back. I disagree with almost everything he writes, but he at least is consistent in his argumentation and an eloquent writer. Cafardo is not. He's just a clown who has absolutely no clue. His articles are full of logical inconsistencies and his mailbag and chat answers show that he really doesn't care to do a lot of research on the main topic he is supposed to cover: the Red Sox.

But I guess to some point that's like arguing what's better, cholera or the plague...

Comment

I haven't read a thing Shaugnessy has written in years, so I can't say what he's writing about now.

I get the impression that, as more or less the inventor of "the curse", he hated seeing it broken. He's always been nothing but a nattering nabob of negativity, and suddenly that was no longer the way of Red Sox Nation. Once he was no longer the president of the pitty party, his influence wained. That's why he still grabs hard onto any negativity he can find...he pines for the old days of bad front office decisions, infighting on the team, and most of all, losing in really soul crushing ways.

In other words, September 2011 was probably the happiest month for him since October, 2004. Unfortunately for him, the Red Sox are now a well run team that's in the mix every year and the fan base isn't afraid of curses.

Comment

I just submitted a question to the Globe's "Ask Nick" mailbag. I guess this will be a good test of whether they actually print EVERY question they get or not.

Here's what I sent:

With a fairly thin free agent class for starting pitchers this year, I got to thinking about a name that bounced around a lot at the July 31st deadline but didn't move - Wandy Rodriguez.

While not perfect...he'll be 33 in 2012 and signed for $10 million in 2012 and $13 million in 2013 (with an option), he may present a worthwhile target for the Sox.

Over the last three years, he's posted years with ERA's of 3.60 or lower, 30 or more starts, and 190 or more innings pitched. Sure, the move from the NL Central to the AL East may cause that ERA to rise some, but he'd make a solid #4 and wouldn't require the long-term commitment most FA arms would.

The big question is...if Boston takes on his entire salary...what will it take to land him? Would Lars Anderson and a couple of solid low-level prospects do it? If the Sox could aquire Rodriguez without giving up any of their top prospects, I think it'd be worth exploring.

What do you think?

Heck, if Houston wanted to eat half of Carlos Lee's salary and take back a bag of baseballs for him, I'd be behind that move, as well. Lee is a statue in the OF, but I bet he could handle LF in Fenway (moving Crawford to RF) and he's right handed and still has some pop (18 HR and 38 2B's in 2011).

Comment

Fangraphs has an amusing answer to Shaugnessy's nonsensical Red Sox article. I find it kind of amusing...
                  http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.p...ssy-is-guilty/

Comment

I just submitted a question to the Globe's "Ask Nick" mailbag. I guess this will be a good test of whether they actually print EVERY question they get or not.
                    Well, a new mailbag is up today, and my letter wasn't published. So, they don't just print everything.

Check it out for a list of questions deemed better than mine (spoiler alert: most aren't):

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ck_will_i.html

Comment

If the the history of Valentine's managerial decisions follow him to Beantown, Shaugnessy will have a lot of material.

Comment

Is anyone else sick of Nick Cafardo? I used to not mind him, but lately it seems like everything he writes has two themes:

1) His opinions are somehow facts, and solid bases for new articles.

2) The Red Sox failure is everyone's fault BUT Bobby Valentine's.

Comment

Is anyone else sick of Nick Cafardo? I used to not mind him, but lately it seems like everything he writes has two themes:

1) His opinions are somehow facts, and solid bases for new articles.

2) The Red Sox failure is everyone's fault BUT Bobby Valentine's.
                          From a little further up this thread:
                          Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                          I retract that statement. Cafardo has become worse! He is unbearable, has no clue, and it's beyond me how this guy has a job as a sportswriter for any team but a third class high school squad! You'd think there should be an army of young caring journalists for whom it would be a dream come true to cover a team like the Red Sox and therefore would work their butt off to write an interesting, well researched, well written article, no?
                          Cafardo has been the no. 1 advocate for Bobby V even before Francona officially left the organization and has been a fanboy ever since. Cafardo is a joke. I stopped reading anything he writes.

Comment

Me thinks Pete Abraham spends to much time with Cafardo and Shaugnessy. He is slowly but steadily falling to their levels. The Globe has become an utterly useless source of information.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X